Poll: Does The X-Men And Fantastic Four Complete The MCU?

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
Years ago, in an act of desperation to help get itself out of bankruptcy Marvel optioned out the film rights to various of it's characters to different movie studios: Spider-Man & Ghost Rider went to Sony, Hulk went to Universal, and of course X-Men, Fantastic Four and Daredevil went to Fox. By selling these rights to these other companies earlier on put Marvel at somewhat a disadvantage since unlike their rival DC/Warner Bros they didn't have the luxury of having access to their A-list, top tier characters at the start so when they eventually started their own film studio after the monumental success of Sam Riami's ''Spider-Man" released in 2002 all they had to mostly rely on is what(at the time) many dubbed the 'B-team'.

Though they're household names now --the 'B-team' comprised of Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America -- Hulk was one of the few well-known characters they had which they had gotten the production rights from Universal(not the distribution rights). Heck, I remember a time when if you ask someone who Iron Man was all that would come to mind was the old Black Sabbath song. Marvel essentially had to make due with leftover scraps after selling the rights to their most well known known characters forcing them to start their cinematic universe without their biggest characters like Spider-Man or Wolverine. Even though they didn't have the rights to those characters the MCU still thrived--becoming the most successful superhero franchise of all time(if not arguably most successful franchise in general) to the point that it even left other studios like DC/Warners(who still are less successful than Marvel despite owning all their characters) in the dust.

Even though I love the Marvel films(for the most part) I couldn't help but feel there was something missing. For all the groundbreaking things it did in terms of successfully replicating the shared universe model found in both Marvel and DC comics successfully on screen I couldn't help but feel something was missing-- The Fantastic Four and Spider-Man and to a much lesser extent the X-Men.

As a youth, I grew up a huge FF fan(they were my gateway drug to the rest of the Marvel Universe) and for me it was very strange not to have the First Family, the characters that singlehandley saved Marvel and for which without them you would not have just the rest of the Marvel comics Universe you would not have the Marvel Cinematic Universe as well. It was strange for me to have a Marvel Universe on screen where there was no Baxter Building, there was no Daily Bugle and the Avengers took the Fantastic Four's spot as the celebrity superheroes that everyone looked up to in the MCU that was always something the First Family occupied in the comics. In those days if you wanted to see your favorite character not owned by Marvel in the MCU you would have to hope the studio who had owned the rights to them would have an unsuccessful film with that said character which would discourage them from trying again long enough for the clock to run out and lose the rights-- this is how characters like Blade, Punisher, Ghost Rider eventually came back to Marvel and how the Daredevil rights returned as well which would lead to the landmark Netfllix show. But the biggest domino fell for the Marvel Universe when in February of 2015 when the unthinkable happened: It was officially announced that Spider-Man was coming home to Marvel(sort of) through a deal that would have Marvel Studios partner up with Sony to bring Spider-Man into the same world the Avengers existed in. Granted, Sony retains rights to the character but Spidey was entering the MCU for the first time nonetheless.

Then on December, 14th 2017 the unthinkable happened once more with a way bigger sleuth of characters this time around: The Fantastic Four and the X-Men were coming home to Marvel Studios! Something that several years ago when the first Avengers came out the very idea was considered nothing more than mere pipe-dream became a reality. For the first time in a very long time Marvel will be whole like the comics universe! No longer can Kevin Feige and his team be restricted with what characters they can use since they will have the whole library at their disposal. The sky's the limit now!...or is it?

Even after the deal is finalized(when it will be finalized is anybody's guess) and the FF and X-Men are reunited with the Marvel Universe. Marvel still isn't whole for some since there is still the pesky issue of Namor. Marvel has some legal boundaries with that character and Marvel still can't get a Hulk film made since they don't have distribution rights to the character. Even despite that, some may say the Marvel Universe is complete while others may say that it's incomplete until Marvel obtains full rights to all their characters. There exist the possibility that Spider-Man's MCU tenure might be in jeopardy depending on how much Sony feels they need the MCU if Venom goes over well for them(it won't) or heck what if someone like Comcast(ironic isn't it?) were to come over and buy Sony and pull Spider-Man out of the MCU?

What do you guys think? Does the addition of Fantastic Four and X-Men make the MCU whole or not?

Last edited:
No its not and this isn't a matter of opinion so I don't really understand the point of a poll.

For the most part, yes. Namor is just ONE character and Hulk and all of his characters can still be used.

Spider-Man getting pulled out of the MCU after FFH would be a punch in the gut and reopen the hole in the MCU that was filled when Spider-Man came home. He's the main thing we should be worrying about imo

No its not and this isn't a matter of opinion so I don't really understand the point of a poll.
Because there are others who may feel differently than you. Some may feel the FF and X-Men complete the MCU enough and couldn't care less about Namor .
Edit: I'm really asking "Are the FF and X-Men joining the MCU enough to make it whole for you or not?"

Last edited:
Because there are others who may feel differently than you. Some may feel the FF and X-Men complete the MCU enough and couldn't care less about Namor .

It doesn't matter if people feel differently, they're not right. 95% does not equal 100%

Edit: I'm really asking "Does the FF and X-Men are enough to make the MCU whole for you or not?"

Still no. Sony can be Sony and pull out Spidey.

No. Disney need to get the Hulk and Namor rights back from Comcast.

We need to see She-Hulk and Namor debut and get a Hulk sequel.

It doesn't matter if people feel differently, they're not right. 95% does not equal 100%

tumblr_mpx9lkrKVZ1sw90jxo1_250.gif

There's no such thing as completing the MCU, not in any absolute sense. There's characters you want to see and characters you don't want to see. If you're asking whether it has everyone I want to see, then no, because for example they haven't done Kate Bishop. And they could have done Kate Bishop all along.

No. There are still way too many important characters who are stuck in the Netflix/Hulu/TV-verse for it to feel truly complete.

No. The MCU feels complete as it is. The X-men and FF certainly can add to it but if they never enter it, I think that would be perfectly fine

I suppose, but some people probably don't need all of it to feel complete for them. It may not matter what they might feel to you but for me I'm curious for other people's take. Obviously in an purely objective sense(which you're arguing from) the MCU even if they get the mutants and First Family it's still not technically 'complete' since there's still the issue of Namor and Hulk rights but others might feel all those are nothingburgers and may just be content with getting FF and the mutants back in order to have the MCU feel 'complete' for them.

Last edited:
No. The MCU feels complete as it is. The X-men and FF certainly can add to it but if they never enter it, I think that would be perfectly fine

This.

Like watching Infinity War/Civil War, all these MCU crossover movies, it truly feels like you're watching a comic book come to life. And I've never had that experience before.

But for the sake of this thread, yes those teams complete the greater MCU.

Spider-Man getting pulled out of the MCU after FFH would be a punch in the gut and reopen the hole in the MCU that was filled when Spider-Man came home. He's the main thing we should be worrying about imo

I think at the very least, Sony will play nice with Marvel. They've seen how much of a positive response Holland's Spider-Man has had from audiences. If Venom fails, that'll just increase the odds of any Spider-Man related productions being co-produced by Marvel Studios. Sony can't survive on Jumanji alone.

To me personally it felt broken not having characters like Spider-Man , xmen and the FF in there. It just felt like large chunks were missing. Sure they did fine without them for awhile but I mean come on I feel like they needed some of these characters back. How can you one up thanos? Spider-Man is the face of marvel. Not having him around was odd. And idk just felt like a huge chunk was missing

They’re going from 60% to 98%, but there’s still that temaining 2%.

It's not complete, or particularly close to being complete, when with reacquired characters aspects are missing seemingly just to be different from past adaptations.

It was strange for me to have a Marvel Universe on screen where there was no Baxter Building, there was no Daily Bugle

There still isn't a Daily Bugle.

I think at the very least, Sony will play nice with Marvel. They've seen how much of a positive response Holland's Spider-Man has had from audiences. If Venom fails, that'll just increase the odds of any Spider-Man related productions being co-produced by Marvel Studios. Sony can't survive on Jumanji alone.

But venom flopping also gives Disney leverage in negotiations.

Just a few more jewels left in the crown. But they’ve taken care of the big ones first and I don’t suspect the next few will take as much work

To me they aren't completely done since SM is not their's outright and Universal still owns certain rights.

I suppose, but some people probably don't need all of it to feel complete for them. It may not matter what they might feel to you but for me I'm curious for other people's take. Obviously in an purely objective sense(which you're arguing from) the MCU even if they get the mutants and First Family it's still not technically 'complete' since there's still the issue of Namor and Hulk rights but others might feel all those are nothingburgers and may just be content with getting FF and the mutants back in order to have the MCU feel 'complete' for them.

And I'm one of those people. Namor and/or She-Hulk don't hold the same value as the X-Men or Fantastic Four. Besides Spiderman, historically speaking the latter were always Marvel's most iconic properties. For me, there would have never been a completed MCU without them. I mean Reed, Sue, Johnny, Ben, Dr. Doom, Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Jean Grey, Magneto, Professor X, etc. all missing? The mutants and first family were too big of an absence. Everybody else, not so much.

Having 100% of Marvel would be freaking awesome but I would be content if it only pans out to be 95%.

If you want to look at it strictly as being a "completionist," it ain't over. Sony has denied Feige the right, essentially, to use Venom and Black Cat, two important characters in the Spidey mythos. Plus Jackpot, one character who isn't important to any mythos, but still. Point is that it (slightly) boxes in where Feige can go in Spidey sequels, even if they co-produce indefinitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"