• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Possible malware imbedded here?

Well some AV software wont run in safe mode, so it can depend on what kind you have. Whatever the case there you can find out by going the av control center from the 'start menu>programs' in safe mode. If it can run then do a full scan on your primary (OS) hard drive (and scan within archives* if you can), and if it can't run then you should go for the 'system restore'.

*I mention this as it looks like the file creating the problem at start up is not the virus itself, but something that creates/unpacks the trojan every time you reboot: this is why it keeps coming back after deletion when you start up again.

Also look at your start up items and delete anything that looks suspicious (you can download a trial version of "Tune Up Utilities" that has a decent and easy to use start menu editor)

I ran my AV in safe mode and it removed 2 Trojans, I then went back to normal and my cursor was still the same, so i tried to restore but it wont let me, it just keeps saying "cannot restore" to the point i try for, I can't find a way to restore via safe mode, so what do i try now ?

Thanks for all the help btw. :)

I have this damn spyware **** telling me over and over and over and over that I need to buy their crap, and that my computer has viruses, yet....when I run a scan with the security system I actually have on my computer, it finds nothing......but I can't get this damn popup crap to stop.

I ran my AV in safe mode and it removed 2 Trojans, I then went back to normal and my cursor was still the same, so i tried to restore but it wont let me, it just keeps saying "cannot restore" to the point i try for, I can't find a way to restore via safe mode, so what do i try now ?

Thanks for all the help btw. :)

You should be able to restore in safe mode too: Once safe mode is loaded go to start/accessories/system tools/ and you should see the option for it there (You can also access it from the control panel by clicking on 'System', then 'system protection'). If the restore still doesn't work from there you can use your windows CD to try and repair the OS, but that's a little more complicated.

Also do try to look at the programs that Windows is loading at start-up. From the sounds of it that lag is from something trying and failing to load.

I have this damn spyware **** telling me over and over and over and over that I need to buy their crap, and that my computer has viruses, yet....when I run a scan with the security system I actually have on my computer, it finds nothing......but I can't get this damn popup crap to stop.

That sounds like it is loading up with Windows. See what's on your start-up list and anything suspicious disable or delete.

Scanning with only one thing is rarely enough. And I've never found McAfee particually good at handling this type of infection.

Download Spybot Search & Destroy for free. Run that. It'll even set itself to run a scan on boot, before anything is loaded. Just don't immunize your system until it's all clean.

That sounds like it is loading up with Windows. See what's on your start-up list and anything suspicious disable or delete.

Scanning with only one thing is rarely enough. And I've never found McAfee particually good at handling this type of infection.

Download Spybot Search & Destroy for free. Run that. It'll even set itself to run a scan on boot, before anything is loaded. Just don't immunize your system until it's all clean.

I'll try that....thanks.

The people on Techtv used to recommend that you use a combination of Spybot and Ad-Aware because they work differently and thus find different things. Ad-Aware is also free.

You should be able to restore in safe mode too: Once safe mode is loaded go to start/accessories/system tools/ and you should see the option for it there (You can also access it from the control panel by clicking on 'System', then 'system protection'). If the restore still doesn't work from there you can use your windows CD to try and repair the OS, but that's a little more complicated.

Also do try to look at the programs that Windows is loading at start-up. From the sounds of it that lag is from something trying and failing to load.

Sorry man i misread what you wrote last time, I restored from safe mode and all is back to normal, I really appreciate your help. :up:

go to your control panel and add/remove programs.

do you have anything called MS Anti Spyware 2009 or anything like that? if so that may be it, because my friend was having a similar problem and once i removed that from their computer it never came back up. it wasn't a real spyware software.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on The Hype using my girlfriends laptop and she ended up with spyware titled "Virus Remover 2008" What a ***** to get out of her computer.

I was on The Hype using my girlfriends laptop and she ended up with spyware titled "Virus Remover 2008" What a ***** to get out of her computer.
There is talk about that over at ComingSoon as well, I think this is spreading.

There is talk about that over at ComingSoon as well, I think this is spreading.

also seen a comment about a virus in this celebrity forum, seems infecting the skin of a site becoming a habit :(

also seen a comment about a virus in this celebrity forum, seems infecting the skin of a site becoming a habit :(

It's the easiest target, since it's something automatically on the software. When it comes to cars, everyone has tires, not everyone has nitrous.

go to your control panel and add/remove programs.

do you have anything called MS Anti Spyware 2009 or anything like that? if so that may be it, because my friend was having a similar problem and once i removed that from their computer it never came back up. it wasn't a real spyware software.

That is EXACTLY what it was........

That is EXACTLY what it was........

glad that cleared it up. i've never had it on my computer but i've cleaned it off of my friends computer twice.

are you having problems with popups anymore? after i removed that from their computer, their computer problems diminished significantly

That reminds me of that god awful Antivirus '09 I had on my laptop a few weeks back. It was suuuuch a pain.:cmad::cmad:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=315855

going on this earlier gave me a trojan.vendo or somethin like that...had a norton employee take it off for $100....if i get this one more time im banned from shh by my parents...and i love this place too much
another gomyhit.com pop up lead to that

going on this earlier gave me a trojan.vendo or somethin like that...had a norton employee take it off for $100....if i get this one more time im banned from shh by my parents...and i love this place too much

still using the old blue skin? I got the black and orange one and so far not one alert since I used it

Norton is such a rip off.

One you go free, you never go back.

glad that cleared it up. i've never had it on my computer but i've cleaned it off of my friends computer twice.

are you having problems with popups anymore? after i removed that from their computer, their computer problems diminished significantly

The only pop ups really were from that stuff, not much else. But no I haven't had any problems with it since then.

Thank you.....:yay:

hey thanks for the heads up Morg!
sorry i was clueless...having a brain fart moment....Im using the orange and black skin now...workin well...no problems yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"