Post-Battinson: Rank Your Top 5 Batman Movies

MessiahDecoy123

Psychological Anarchist
Reaction score
It's that time again. :ybat:

So where does The Batman rank in your top 5?

Gonna need another viewing to fully process, but as of right now:

1) The Dark Knight
2) The Batman
3) Batman Returns
4) Batman Begins
5) Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

For me, The Batman can only go up.
Well there’s only one spot left for it to go up to. :funny:

As of now:

The Batman
TDK
Batman '89
(those 3 above all and very close)

Batman Begins
Batman Returns
Nice having one from from each set of films in your top 3 above all. I wouldn’t be surprised if my top 3 (possibly even top 5 if I give it more thought) ends up like yours depending on how good The Batman is.

Nice having one from from each set of films in your top 3 above all. I wouldn’t be surprised if my top 3 (possibly even top 5 if I give it more thought) ends up like yours depending on how good The Batman is.

The top 3 are also there for different reasons. The Batman is the best Batman, TDK is the best Joker and '89 was what made me love Batman. Picking between them as films would be very tough.

The top 3 are also there for different reasons. The Batman is the best Batman, TDK is the best Joker and '89 was what made me love Batman. Picking between them as films would be very tough.
Certainly agree on the 2 that I’ve seen. TDK is a strong film even without Joker, but it’s a Joker masterclass, and I was around for the impact of seeing Batman on screen for the first time. That first film is always going to be special to me. There have been a lot of good Batmen with many different strengths but I did think there might be one who could go that bit further. Hopefully I agree after seeing The Batman.

1 The Dark Knight
2 Batman Begins
3 The Dark Knight Rises
4 The Batman
5 Batman Returns

I think Nolan set an impossibly high bar that Reeves can't quite vault - I'm not convinced Reeves owns and re-authors the material quite as emphatically (or successfully) as Nolan did. But it's still a damn good try. Was a little more torn when it came to ranking TB alongside BR but I think Reeves' plot is more chewy and satisfying, which gives it the edge over Burton's freakish feast of design.

Still need time to process it. Honestly, don't feel the need to rank yet. Where it ranks ultimately is going to come down to how I feel about it over time, and to a degree how I feel about where this series goes-- since I feel a LOT of what this movie is doing is worldbuilding.

But I think it is certainly a beautifully crafted Batman film and I can totally understand someone putting it at the top. It is definitely at the very least, a really great attempt at being the Batman movie that a lot of fans have wanted to see for a long time and a very worthy addition to the canon. I need to see how a second viewing sorts out a few issues I had with it.

The overall nagging points for me are that I simply don't love the super emo depiction of Bruce (but LOVE Pattinson as Batman), and I also am not sure how I feel about how Riddler was utilized ultimately (but I LOVED that sequence with Colson).

Overall the movie has some really obvious strengths and high points, but I'm not sure it's quite able to eclipse the impact of how tight, taught and edge-of-your-seat thrilling TDK is for me, and just the perfection of the hero/villain dichotomy that film had-- as well as its powerful ending. To me, TDK is still the better 'superhero' movie. But if you've always wanted to see a film noir Batman movie in the vein of Se7en, this is the one, and it completely pulls it off.

Sorry for the long non-answer. :oldrazz:

Still need time to process it. Honestly, don't feel the need to rank yet. Where it ranks ultimately is going to come down to how I feel about it over time, and to a degree how I feel about where this series goes-- since I feel a LOT of what this movie is doing is worldbuilding.

But I think it is certainly a beautifully crafted Batman film and I can totally understand someone putting it at the top. It is definitely at the very least, a really great attempt at being the Batman movie that a lot of fans have wanted to see for a long time and a very worthy addition to the canon. I need to see how a second viewing sorts out a few issues I had with it.

The overall nagging points for me are that I simply don't love the super emo depiction of Bruce (but LOVE Pattinson as Batman), and I also am not sure how I feel about how Riddler was utilized ultimately (but I LOVED that sequence with Colson).

Overall the movie has some really obvious strengths and high points, but I'm not sure it's quite able to eclipse the impact of how tight, taught and edge-of-your-seat thrilling TDK is for me, and just the perfection of the hero/villain dichotomy that film had-- as well as its powerful ending. To me, TDK is still the better 'superhero' movie. But if you've always wanted to see a film noir Batman movie in the vein of Se7en, this is the one, and it completely pulls it off.

Sorry for the long non-answer.

I see exactly where you’re coming. I said this in the discussion thread not as a positive or a negative but more as an observation, but Bruce Wayne really isn’t in this film. The “Bruce Wayne” that’s presented in this movie is a shell of a human being. It’s a different take on the character and there are shades of what I like about Keaton’s Bruce Wayne, but even then Keaton’s Wayne is much more sociable. One thing I hated though was the hair. They clearly tried to give him an edgy look and I wasn’t digging it. We have Bully McGuire from Spider-Man 3, and I can easily see this being memed as Emo Wayne.

Riddler was a contentious part for me as well more specifically Dano’s performance. He didn’t really work for me with his shouting and wide eyed singing. It was over the top in a way that didn’t fit with the rest of the film.

Ultimately, idk where this film will rank for me a year from now but it’s definitely not the slam dunk that Dark Knight was. That movie blew me away after seeing it the first time, and it’s one of my all time favorite films. The Batman isn’t on that level for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"