Power Rangers 4.0 - Part 2

Wow..thats exciting news!

Fiveman was the first series which included all sibling members. The highlights to me were Yellow and black (they were twins!)

And if this backwards release trend continues...next it will be Kousoku Sentai Turboranger (1989). I'd really recommend this series for Western fans.
One of the best Sentai series in the 80s. Cool opening and ending songs. Cool villains design and compelling story about fairies vs demons.

There is a reason why the end of 80s and early 90s were considered as the renaissance years for Sentai series. From Changeman (1985), Maskman (1987), Liveman (1988), Turboranger (1989), Jetman (1991), Zyuranger (1992), Dairanger (1993), Kakuranger (1994) were all very popular in Japan and considered as "classic and the best" among Sentai lore.

Well, the hope is they continue to move forward as well. Because they stopped at Hurricanger, so there were a few right after I really was interested in, mainly Abaranger and Dekaranger.

One more thing that I am always curious is why Saban never do the Dairanger adaptation properly?

Dairanger had one of the best costume in the Series. So I am curious why Saban only put their mechas into Power Rangers Season 2? But not the costume?

Looking by the pic...Kiba Ranger (white) is more fitting with the rest of Dairangers (with all their Chinese mythical beasts themed costumes) than with Zyuranger's.

Dairanger's mechas and Zyuranger's theme also arent matched and fit for each other at all.
It was weird to see Dairen-Ou but with Zyurangers piloting it.

This is the thing that always made me curious regarding Power Rangers.

Simple, Saban was too scared of alienating the kids. Power Ranger was almost too big to do the full roster change. New zords were easy, new toys to sell. They resisted till the very, very end. Even though Saban commissioned the Zyuranger 2 stuff, I think he eventually decided it would be cheaper to use the Dairanger stuff than to continue to commission more Zyuranger stuff. Which he stretched out through Kakuranger.

Did you know how disappointed I was when I found out Kakuranger had an all female evil ranger team? One before the Psychos?

One more thing that I am always curious is why Saban never do the Dairanger adaptation properly?

Dairanger had one of the best costume in the Series. So I am curious why Saban only put their mechas into Power Rangers Season 2? But not the costume?

Looking by the pic...Kiba Ranger (white) is more fitting with the rest of Dairangers (with all their Chinese mythical beasts themed costumes) than with Zyuranger's.

Dairanger's mechas and Zyuranger's theme also arent matched and fit for each other at all.

I can imagine that was weird to see lol.

I'm like half way through watching Dairanger on Amazon Prime, I mean I wasn't a big fan of the Power Rangers season that adapted it, but Dairanger is so good! I loved the fact that Daijinryuu was this neutral, Galactus like being, because on Power Rangers he was just one of the villain's mech.

b1df66bd31495cb4145fd6d938be3e0ec39233c7.gifv

Still gives me chills.

Did you know how disappointed I was when I found out Kakuranger had an all female evil ranger team? One before the Psychos?

Oh those girls kicked their asses! I loved their fights and that whole arc with the Kunoichi team.

I'm guessing due to the popularity of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Saban didn't want to risk losing the audience with new looks of the team. As it was it was risky when they replaced Jason, Trini and Zack with Rocky, Aisha and Adam midway in Season 2. Just before they were about to begin pre-production on The Movie.

Well, the hope is they continue to move forward as well. Because they stopped at Hurricanger, so there were a few right after I really was interested in, mainly Abaranger and Dekaranger.

Simple, Saban was too scared of alienating the kids. Power Ranger was almost too big to do the full roster change. New zords were easy, new toys to sell. They resisted till the very, very end. Even though Saban commissioned the Zyuranger 2 stuff, I think he eventually decided it would be cheaper to use the Dairanger stuff than to continue to commission more Zyuranger stuff. Which he stretched out through Kakuranger.

Yeah lets hope the release would not stop this time around. Until all series are released there.

The real gem for 2000s series was Dekaranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Shinkenger and of course "The King" Gokaiger.
Post 2010s it was a little bit hit and miss though...with the only good series was Jyuouger, Lupin vs Patranger, and Ryusoulger.

Oh yeah the Kunoichi was so cool in Kakuranger. They're all adorable, too. Hehe.

Last edited:

Ah I see I see...

It still weird though by forcing to blend Zyuranger and Dairanger. Haha.

I'm guessing due to the popularity of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Saban didn't want to risk losing the audience with new looks of the team. As it was it was risky when they replaced Jason, Trini and Zack with Rocky, Aisha and Adam midway in Season 2. Just before they were about to begin pre-production on The Movie.

Oh okay...
Thanks for the explanation...

It all makes sense.

Speaking of the 1996 movie...I loved it. I have seen it just a few years ago..it was very entertaining.
It is like Hollywood made a movie adaptation of Zyuranger-Dairanger-Kakuranger combined.

Last edited:
I can imagine that was weird to see lol.

I'm like half way through watching Dairanger on Amazon Prime, I mean I wasn't a big fan of the Power Rangers season that adapted it, but Dairanger is so good! I loved the fact that Daijinryuu was this neutral, Galactus like being, because on Power Rangers he was just one of the villain's mech.

b1df66bd31495cb4145fd6d938be3e0ec39233c7.gifv

Still gives me chills.

Oh those girls kicked their asses! I loved their fights and that whole arc with the Kunoichi team.

Dairanger was definitely one of the all time best in the series. I ranked it 2nd on my all time Sentai favorites just behind Shinkenger.

Dairanger had mature and dark story similar to Jetman.
All the rangers had their own arc confronting several different characters throughout the series.

Yeah agreed. Daijinryuu was definitely cool and frightening at the same time. Its size was so gigantic that it makes Ryuseiou looks tiny in comparison. Haha.

And the villain was also very cool.
No offense to Lord Zedd (the villain for PR Season 2), but Gouma is definitely more superior and complex villain group.
And what I loved about this group is the power dynamic between each of their lieutenants. They even had their highest leader assassinated and killed by one of their own lieutenant. Haha.

Last edited:
Dairanger was definitely one of the all time best in the series. I ranked it 2nd on my all time Sentai favorites just behind Shinkenger.

Dairanger had mature and dark story similar to Jetman.
All the rangers had their own arc confronting several different characters throughout the series.

Yeah agreed. Daijinryuu was definitely cool and frightening at the same time. Its size was so gigantic that it makes Ryuseiou looks tiny in comparison. Haha.

And the villain was also very cool.
No offense to Lord Zedd (the villain for PR Season 2), but Gouma is definitely more superior and complex villain group.
And what I loved about this group is the power dynamic between each of their lieutenants. They even had their highest leader assassinated and killed by one of their own lieutenant. Haha.

I have to get around to watching Jetman! Always wanted to see that one and Bioman.

But definitely, Dairanger is in the Top 5. But I'd be lying if I said Kakuranger wasn't my favorite of all time. Loved the characters, the villains, the mecha, everything came together really well for me.

I think Ohranger isn't half bad either.

Man, things get weird when they start to blend Zyuranger and Kakuranger.

Saban got really lucky with that season, but watching MMPR S3 and comparing it to Kakuranger is so jarring. I still think they could've started with the Shogun Zords and found a legit reason to keep Tommy in the Falcon Zord.

I still wanna know why Amy Jo Johnson exited right after the movie.

Man, things get weird when they start to blend Zyuranger and Kakuranger.

Haha. Definitely.
What made things weirder is when they start blending the villains too.

Making Dai Ma-Ou (the main villain of Kakuranger) the father of Bandora (and Bandora and Junior are sibling?) Yeah thats definitely weird.

And Bandora afterwards seems like treated as a joke. In Zyuranger, although she didnt die either...but she was portrayed as dangerous foe through and through until the end (and unlike her Power Rangers counterpart, she had a tragic background of why she became the witch Bandora).

Thats also one of my big criticism of PR.

But thankfully...after Ohranger, they start as a separate and standalone season, though.

I have to get around to watching Jetman! Always wanted to see that one and Bioman.

But definitely, Dairanger is in the Top 5. But I'd be lying if I said Kakuranger wasn't my favorite of all time. Loved the characters, the villains, the mecha, everything came together really well for me.

I think Ohranger isn't half bad either.

Oh yeah, you should definitely check out Jetman (and also Bioman).
Jetman is more heavily on trendy love story drama though. Haha (it was such a popular genre in back in the 90s).

The 80s (and also early 90s) Sentai series was highly regarded as the best era of the series because the more heavily mature drama and serious tones (especially compared to the 2000s era which had more lighter tones).

To me though, Liveman (1988) had the best story, very mature drama, and complex characterizations both from the main heroes and also villains. You definitely should check Liveman too when it is hopefully released there.

Last edited:
Ah and agree on Ohranger.

It was not a bad series whatsoever.
But unfortunately, in the wake of the big Kobe earthquake and also domestic terrorist attack at the time (1995), Toei made changes in the middle of the series in terms of tone by reducing many of its action scenes (which deemed too violent at the time)...which I think it impacted to its overall quality and also effecting toy sales.

I still wanna know why Amy Jo Johnson exited right after the movie.

She had just done 3 full years of work with little to no time off, almost 200 episodes, had to film the show while filming the movie, got paid poorly. She was just ready to move on.

Karen Ashley told them she was also planning on leaving and was told she'd be given an extensive arc writing her out only to be fired shortly after she told them with no wrap up on her end

So, some lost treasures were found in the Library of Congress. The big one being the pilot of the live action US Sailor Moon show. But, it seems there is a lot there.

Here's hoping.

So according to TMZ, Jason David Frank's wife has filed for divorce and says that he has been having an affair.

200.gif

I read that apparently back when Covid first started he brought into a lot of the misinformation being spread over the Internet, but thankfully he re-examined his views on that and walked that back. Even implemented social distancing protocols for his gym that he runs.

The man may have a really huge ego from playing the Green Ranger back in the day, but I at least have a modicum of respect for actually being smart on that front at least, unlike some other celebrities.

So the big announcement is The cast of Dino Fury is coming back for a third season with a new set of powers and will be Cosmic Rangers….. very anticlimactic news. I thought they were going to announce a special reunion show to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Power Rangers.

We haven't had a good cliffhanger/season finale with the same rangers since In Space. I hope they give us a good finale that leads into Cosmic Fury. Congratulations to the cast, this could possibly be the farewell season to the franchise's 30 years before they reboot it on Netflix. I wonder if we will get surprise cameos from past rangers.

I am happy the cast is returning. I really liked them.

Really curious about what footage they are using.

So according to TMZ, Jason David Frank's wife has filed for divorce and says that he has been having an affair.

200.gif

I mean....im not surprised? Cheating is a very high in the acting world.

I am happy the cast is returning. I really liked them.

Really curious about what footage they are using.

Isnt it supposed to be original footage? They dont even know what the suits look like yet.

Isnt it supposed to be original footage? They dont even know what the suits look like yet.

We don't really know. I don't think this really lines up with any of the rumors we have seen. The cast returning alone tosses out a lot of the rumors. Just have to wait an see.

Cosmic makes me think Kyuranger but I guess it could be anything they want it to be. The original suits rumour sounds like a very expensive one. Is that even a possibility or is it just fan conjecture?

We don't really know. I don't think this really lines up with any of the rumors we have seen. The cast returning alone tosses out a lot of the rumors. Just have to wait an see.

Power Rangers has a long tradition of adapting a Super Sentai story into a Power Rangers season. Are we sticking with that mold, or are we doing something completely new with Cosmic Fury?

Jordon Fite: I would think we're doing something new. This is just going off what I think, so I would think we're going into something new. This is going to be new overall in general.

Kai Moya: Yeah, it's gonna be something new. I think everything we do is gonna be pretty much original with this

Jordon Fite & Kai Moya Interview: Power Rangers Cosmic Fury

On the Kamen Rider side of things...Revice has just ended on last sunday.

The series was mixed overall IMO...it had the best opening arc but got bad in the middle until the end.

It feels like Hibiki all over again with the sudden change in storytelling mid season, and behind the scenes trouble were all similar situation also. The last 2 episodes were especially weak and bad.

It is the opposite of Kamen Rider Saber (2020-2021) which had the weak beginning but ended strong.

It is quite shame since Revice had one of the coolest opening song in the series...and the first Kamen Rider series (and also Tokusatsu series) that introduced a fully LGBT character in it. (EdIT: Ryuki Rider Time had it first with KR Raia and KR Gai being gay couple)

Oh well...now just move on and anticipating the new series, Geats ...this sunday.

Last edited:
For DonBrothers...the show keeps getting better with each new episodes...

DonBrothers bring something new to Super Sentai series. So I was quite surprised to hear the low toy sales and ratings. Hope the rating will pick up for the rest of the year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philippe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"