• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Problem with Windows media player

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
I know most use VLC and other players these days but I still like WMP and for the most part it plays video files with no issues.

However some recent video files have played with only sound and a black screen with a green wavy line through the middle. I've installed DIVX and still the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks Teelie, I've tried them all but I still have the same problem.

Try Media Player Classic.

What are the file extensions?

Hmm, that usually fixes that problem. Do you have dual monitors? Or replaced one recently? New graphics card or software? Sometimes those can mess with video.

Try Media Player Classic.

What are the file extensions?

Tried it, still no luck.

Here's where my lack of knowledge comes in lol, how do I find the file extension?

Hmm, that usually fixes that problem. Do you have dual monitors? Or replaced one recently? New graphics card or software? Sometimes those can mess with video.

Nope, nothing new at all and 95% of the video files still play and the ones that wont play do play through VLC, I just want to know why they don't play through WMP as since I got Windows 8 every file type has played through WMP with no problems.

So far all I have seen is DVD video playback no longer works in WMP but will in WMC (Windows Media Center which is "Pro" edition OS only). Microsoft removed those codecs from it and I don't see any way to modify it (though there were conflicting accounts of adding codecs working/not working). Another thing is they do not support FLV format which is Flash video.

Otherwise it looks like you're going to need an alternative media player.

Tried it, still no luck.

Here's where my lack of knowledge comes in lol, how do I find the file extension?
Usually the extension is hidden, but you can view it by opening any folder and going to "Tools" > "Folder Options." From there you can deselect the option that says "hide file extension."

Hit apply to all folders and it will show your extensions. So if you go into your music folder, you'll see ".mp3" after the song. Movie files have a ton of different ones like that. MKV is one that usually has issues with WMP, since it work on VLC and not that. There might be nothing you could do unless you go to MS website and see if they have a codec pack of their own.

Thank you both for the help, if it comes down to it I'll just have to use the VLC player, but I appreciate the effort.

dmg, I'll try what you said and get back to you, if there is a pack that allows me to play MKV files through WMP that would be great.

Any updates on if you were able to get it to work, Hunter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"