• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Screen Capping with VLC Player

Reaction score
As the title says, I need some help with learning how to do screen caps using the VLC Media Player. I downloaded the program, inserted my film & it works fine, but when I try to use the snap shot button to screen cap, I keep getting a "Streaming / Transcoding failed:
VLC could not open the encoder." error message. Are there some settings I need to fix or what? :huh: Other than loading the film, I only changed the file type to jpg instead of png & where the files would be saved.

I'm using Windows 7 & the VLC's version is 2.01. I already checked the official site, but I didn't really see anything that helped with this sort of error. So, um, can I get some help please? :o

Edit: Along with the program, should I have downloaded something called the VLC Media Player source code? It says it's a downloadable tarball that includes the full source code for the VLC Media Player.

Last edited:
As the title says, I need some help with learning how to do screen caps using the VLC Media Player. I downloaded the program, inserted my film & it works fine, but when I try to use the snap shot button to screen cap, I keep getting a "Streaming / Transcoding failed:
VLC could not open the encoder." error message. Are there some settings I need to fix or what? :huh: Other than loading the film, I only changed the file type to jpg instead of png & where the files would be saved.

I'm using Windows 7 & the VLC's version is 2.01. I already checked the official site, but I didn't really see anything that helped with this sort of error. So, um, can I get some help please? :o

Edit: Along with the program, should I have downloaded something called the VLC Media Player source code? It says it's a downloadable tarball that includes the full source code for the VLC Media Player.

It's Windows 7

I predominatly use VLC (2.0.1 Twoflower) under Windows XP SP3 to watch my movies and I've never plan to upgrade.

Last edited:
It's Windows 7

I predominatly use VLC (2.0.1 Twoflower) under Windows XP SP3 to watch my movies and I've never plan to upgrade.

This would explain why I could never get VLC Player to work on my laptop computer. I hope they will release a Windows 7 version for this program soon.

It's Windows 7

I have exactly the same problem and am using Vista. I only have this problem since upgradeing to latest version of VLC. It was working perfectly fine before upgrading, therefore I suspect this is a bug with new VLC vesion. Anyone know how to get the old version back again because that would be my suggested fix?

I don't have the answer but I was able to capture shots in the old version by following instructions I found on line and then using ctrl Alt S which saved it to a file I'd pre-set up following the instructions. However when I came to use today, I was notified of VLC upgrade and so installed that first. Sadly, that uninstalls original version and now I cant use and get exactly the same message that you're talking about. :jedi Don't know whether's a way of getting the old version instead...

I don't have the answer but I was able to capture shots in the old version by following instructions I found on line and then using ctrl Alt S which saved it to a file I'd pre-set up following the instructions. However when I came to use today, I was notified of VLC upgrade and so installed that first. Sadly, that uninstalls original version and now I cant use and get exactly the same message that you're talking about. :jedi Don't know whether's a way of getting the old version instead...
PS I don't think its a windows 7 issue as I'm on Vista therefore that leads me to think its a VLC new version issue.

Thanks for the responses guys. Guess I'll dl one of the older versions then.

Speaking of VLC, can anyone help me with this problem? For some reason the VLC plug in shows up every time I go to sites like thedarkknightrises.com and it wont let me play the trailer or let me close it. Here's what it looks like:

qFXep.png

Hey :woot: I've been away for awhile...

Y'all may have figured this out already (no one has posted on the "Vlc" topic in a good while) but, I upgraded to Windows 7 recently and for what it's worth "VLC media player 2.0.6 Twoflower" works just fine with Windows 7 if anyone still needs to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"