Public Enemies

A friend of mine on another forum was looking at the musical credits, and apparently the rejeted piece of Goldenthal score from the end of Heat somewhat makes an appearance again as JD Dies.

Didn't make that connection until he said so.

The shootout in the woods = kickass.

I loved that there was no music during this.

Saw it for the 2nd time on friday, its better the 2nd time. Pretty Boy Floyd and Babyface Nelson were great. This movie has a lot of depth. Cant wait to get it when it comes out on DVD and see it again. One of my favorite movies.
Pretty Boy Floyd didn't have much to in this except get shot :hehe: (Ouch) BUt that whole scene was terrific. And Nelson was just a lunatic :hoboj: The scene where Purvis comes into his apartment and he's sitting at the table with one hand underneath had me making fists with my toes haha.

Was Walter Dietrich mentioned in the Public Enemies book. I've heard the name mentioned before I saw the movie but I've looked through the book and I can't find it.

Did you try the index?

Saw it this afternoon. The first act was a little bland, despite the robberies, and didn't do a fantastic job at holding my attention. Fortunately that all turned around, and by the time I left the theater and went home, the movie was still on my mind. Depp was as advertised, and I don't see eye to eye with any of the complaints regarding Bale. His screen time was limited and his character was written one dimensionally, but his actual acting performance seemed quite solid to me. An all around solid movie, not Mann's best effort, but that's not a problem. 8/10

I wish anyone who makes a big budget movie using a digital camera would get a kick to the nuts.

But thats just me. :hehe:

your no stanley kubrick so i couldnt care less on what you think. but to hell with it i just love ranting that much. so first of all stop whining. second, i love that mike and the film's cinematographer dante spinotti decided to go digital. its a technique that is not that popular in filmmaking today, which is why i loved it cause its not a fad among today's mainstream filmmakers making it a different, unique, and creative choice to go with. in fact id like to see it more in movies. it has very clear quality and its the closest we have in today's technology that gives us more of a dynamic and dramatic feel to the way we see tragic historical events through our own eyes such as the factual accounts that took place in public enemies. and because of that this style would help bring us into the world of the 1930's, making it so we can connect and feel for people like john dillinger hence why they chose it. because this film is meant to be based on real world events. as a film fanatic and aspiring artist i like to be optimistic when going to see a film. plus i would never wish that on anyone. its not exactly a geat feeling being kicked in the nuts. lol

Saw it today, thought it was decent but forgettable. 7/10.

your no stanley kubrick so i couldnt care less on what you think. but to hell with it i just love ranting that much. so first of all stop whining. second, i love that mike and the film's cinematographer dante spinotti decided to go digital. its a technique that is not that popular in filmmaking today, which is why i loved it cause its not a fad among today's mainstream filmmakers making it a different, unique, and creative choice to go with. in fact id like to see it more in movies. it has very clear quality and its the closest we have in today's technology that gives us more of a dynamic and dramatic feel to the way we see tragic historical events through our own eyes such as the factual accounts that took place in public enemies. and because of that this style would help bring us into the world of the 1930's, making it so we can connect and feel for people like john dillinger hence why they chose it. because this film is meant to be based on real world events. as a film fanatic and aspiring artist i like to be optimistic when going to see a film. plus i would never wish that on anyone. its not exactly a geat feeling being kicked in the nuts. lol

I dont care. It looks like freaking ****. It doesnt feel like a movie.

And I could only read the first and last sentences in your post.

I wish I could have posted when people were talking more.

I saw this last week and I thought it was good. Not great, but above average. I'd say an 8/10 or a B.

But there was something missing. What the film has going for it is a great cast. Depp and Bale were perfectly cast and play their parts to perfection, they are so good I see people say they were bad. They were doing what Mann loves most from his actors, becoming their roles to the point where they don't have to overly emote to let the audience see the mechanics of the craft. They are character actors just being.

The thing is Mann went for a very minimalist approach as he does in all his films. I respect that and it worked here. But I felt the movie needed a little more huzzah and style. The first half hour is written to be a big-bang opening, but despite some beautiful and artistic cinematography it is shot far too close to the actors imo (most especially during the jail break and car driving away) and is edited at a leisurely pace. I feel that once the story really gets going after Purvis reaches Chicago the movie runs along fine and several scenes, the Little Bohemia shootout most particularly, are brilliant.

But I feel Mann's minimalist style misses opportunities, like building suspense in how Dillinger was first caught in the hotel (we see the fire alarm, the police coming, build, etc.) or Dillinger's clever plans to rob banks. I am not one for historical fedility to the point of harming the picture. I am completely fine with changing the places and time where Baby Face Nelson and Pretty Boy Floyd died. But I feel there are great chestnuts in history, like Dillinger scouting out the banks in advance by pretending to be a salesman, or better when he pretended to be a filmmaker scouting a location. Things like this I could not see someone like Scorsese passing up. But Mann just wants the basic details for story and let the great wealth of acting, camera movements, set design, etc. tell the rest. That is fine but the story is a little barer than it should have I felt.

But I do not want to just criticize, because I honestly really liked this movie and would love to see it again. Going back to the acting, it was superb. The real stand outs being Marion Collitard who made the most human and likable character in the film and Billy Crudup who deliciously stole the show as a terrific J. Edgar Hoover. Every scene Collitard is in the story lifts. The symbiotic relationship she and Depp's Dillinger form is believable and somehow sweet, despite his sinisterness.

I feel the best scene in the movie is when she is getting tortured. It was nice because it allows one of the few moments for us to get into Purvis's head (who as usual per a Mann film has a lot going on, but we have to work to figure out what) when he lifts her and wee see the doubt in his eyes...the inevitability that he will quit and this job is knawing at him. The disillusionment of Hoover's "vision."

But it works because Marion really makes us believe it and empathize with her. The final scene and the recurrence of Krall's haunting rendition of "Bye, Bye Blackbird," could have been really cheesy but comes off sad and believable.

And while the story may not be the most faithful to history, the attention to detail is astonishing. Mann is the first director to make a movie and show that digital can work as a true medium to make a big budget film with, as opposed to an experiment (Sin City) or a crappy self-indulgent effects puff piece (the Star Wars prequels).

It is ust so fresh and raw and does not detract from Chicago in the 1930s, but brings the cold bitterness of a winter night outside the jazz club to life with vivid detail in the hands of a technical master. Scenes like Dillinger's escape from prison are tense and great, but seeing him go to jail and the reaction of Deppresion-era small town citizens is hypnotic and more telling than anything, without having to say a word.

I do not mind the minimalist form of development. In a Mann movie actions speak louder than words and if you pay close attention you'll get a lot out of Dillinger and Purvis, as well as Billy and Hoover (the rest, not so much). But when you are watching a gangster picture in that era, you might want a bit of the operatic or at least slick fun. We see Dillinger have fun, but Mann never lets loose. In some ways I wish Scorsese had made this, but at the same time I'm glad we got a nuanced Depp as Dillinger and not an overacting DiCaprio. Still there was just something missing that held this movie back.

I still liked it and will gladly see it again.

I dont care. It looks like freaking ****. It doesnt feel like a movie.

And I could only read the first and last sentences in your post.

I prefer film, but I think this movie and Collateral proved HD video can work. To pretend otherwise is being obtuse.

Was a great film, seen it twice now, and can safely say the only thing that I really did not like or felt annoyed at was the [blackout]last lines of Dillinger being changed[/blackout]. It didn't ruin the film, but it did take away from the moment, certainly. Really liked the digital approach, and thought the performance's were uniformly excellent.

I'm with you on that one.

I found her accent to be quite distracting throughout the movie. Her performance wasn't bad.

People go on and on about Bale shouting in Terminator, but damn, was Purvis quiet or what? What a calm man.

Last edited:
I found her accent is to quite distracting throughout the movie. Her performance wasn't bad.

I thought her accent would grate on my nerves but I surprisingly barely noticed it. The shaky camera didn't bother me either, and that my other big worry going in.

The movie still could have really benefited from a few steadicam shots.

Never noticed too much shaking in Collateral, just re-watched that the other day.

I prefer film, but I think this movie and Collateral proved HD video can work. To pretend otherwise is being obtuse.
It was for what....2 scenes? I didnt notice it.

Miami Vice looked like ass. I have no idea why people think that film looks good.

Bale on the side of the sedan, trench coat flowing, tommy gun blarring means I was happY!!

9/10

In my opinion the Best Looking woman and the actress with the most talent in this film
was Myrna Loy. :)
What A GREAT Screen Personality she had.

It was for what....2 scenes? I didnt notice it.

Miami Vice looked like ass. I have no idea why people think that film looks good.

I didn't say Miami Vice did I? I think the style works for such a slick and stylish movie. But like the style it was cheesily overblown and makes Vice Mann's worst movie among other things (a bad script to begin with).

But it worked in these movies. I prefer film, but to deny HD Video does not have its attributes (documentaries have completely switched over due to costs and convienence but it looks better for such productions, as well).

But Public Enemies looked good. Even in the scenes I thought were missing something in terms of excitement and energy, always looked gorgeous. Like the wide-sky shots of Midwest winter affternoons during the prison break at the beginning or the looks or the amount of detail in the production design is immediately visible in the bank robbing scenes, especially the first one where they come charging up the stairs.

And while all of those effects could be achieved with film, they were still accomplished with video. And then scenes like Dillinger and Billie's first meeting in the jazz club and going out into a cold Chicago night or the look of the Little Bohemia shootout near the end of the movie...it proved video has its advantages in drawing the audience in and bringing this world alive.

I'm not saying it is superior, but Mann has proved it can work. And you are going to just become more disgruntled because in 10-20 years I imagine Hollywood movies will be using both stocks depending on the aesthetic of the director. The times they are a-changing, indeed.

I'll be watching it on DVD when it comes out.

I'll be picking up the dvd, though I must say I'm not happy with that cover. All the Depp solo marketing disappoints me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"