Race And Comics

celldog

Sidekick
Reaction score
"Black Skins" and White Masks: Comic books and the secret of race
African American Review, Spring, 2002 by Marc Singer

The stereotypes through which American popular culture often interprets and represents racial identity operate not only as tools of defamation but also as vehicles for far more subtle manipulations of race. In his 1946 essay "Twentieth-Century Fiction and the Black Mask of Humanity," Ralph Ellis on observes that stereotypes of African Americans, whatever other purposes they might serve, become a means "by which the white American seeks to resolve the dilemma arising... between his acceptance of the sacred democratic belief that all men are created equal and his treatment of every tenth man as though he were not" (28)--a means, in other words, of reconciling the contradictions between an ideology of democracy and a history and practice of prejudice. Whether these stereotypes assume the form of unrealistic portrayals of racial minorities or an equally unrealistic invisibility, they often fulfill this double function of oppression and reaffirmation.

Comic books, and particularly the dominant genre of superhero comic books, have proven fertile ground for stereotyped depictions of race. Comics rely upon visually codified representations in which characters are continually reduced to their appearances, and this reductionism is especially prevalent in superhero comics, whose characters are wholly externalized into their heroic costumes and aliases. This system of visual typology combines with the superhero genre's long history of excluding, trivializing, or "tokenizing" minorities to create numeorus minority superheroes who are marked purely for their race: "Black Lightning," "Black Panther," and so forth. The potential for superficiality and stereotyping here is dangerously high. Yet in recent years, some comics creators have demonstrated that the superhero genre's own conventions can invite a more nuanced depiction of minority identity. Race in contemporary comics proves to be anything but simplistic. If some titles reveal deceptively soothing stereotypes lurking behind their veneers of diversity, then others show complex considerations of identity.

I found this to be an interesting article. A lot of sterotypes still plague some characters. Luke Cage is still wearing the skull cap and shades in the hot Jungles of the savage land, in New Avengers.
I don't know which Falcon we're gonna get. Brubaker gives an articulate Sam Wilson, in Captain America. But in New Avengers #21, I almost expected Falcon to throw in a "Jive turkey Sucka'" remark. LOL

"I'm down brotha'. I ain't buyin' what they're sellin' and I ain't movin'" :confused:

I like Hudlin's handling of T'Challa.

Most black MALE charcters are pretty much just glorified athletes.
Rage
Falcon
Black Panther
3D Man
Black Lightning (minor power)

Luke Cage

The best change lately has been in the Spectre. A black man finally gets power on a cosmic scale.

Black Lightning is calling attention to his race, but Black Panther dresses up as a black panther, and as far as black characters go, he's the least stereotypical, as far as the "thug" image that Luke Cage goes with.

celldog said:
The best change lately has been in the Spectre. A black man finally gets power on a cosmic scale.

SuperFerret said:
Black Lightning is calling attention to his race, but Black Panther dresses up as a black panther, and as far as black characters go, he's the least stereotypical, as far as the "thug" image that Luke Cage goes with.
50-cent.jpg

Is this Luke Cage??
50-cent-top-7a.jpg

Kool-Aid said:

Naaah.......considering that Jesus was semetic (Jewish) that picture is just plain funny. Jesus Marley.

I can't see your second pic, but from what I've seen lately, Cage dresses similarly. Of course, I'm not up to date on his current look if he has changed it recently.

I think 50 Cent would make a good Cage. Gawd first you lay it on Will, but you've gone to far with 50.:(

celldog said:
Most black MALE charcters are pretty much just glorified athletes.

Most super heroes in general are just glorified athletes.

The Question said:
Most super heroes in general are just glorified athletes.

Of course. But proportionately it is a tad uneven.

The most powerful heroes (most of them) are caucasian. Galactus, the Watcher, Dr. Strange, Sentry.....etc

SuperFerret said:
I can't see your second pic, but from what I've seen lately, Cage dresses similarly. Of course, I'm not up to date on his current look if he has changed it recently.
PULSE011.jpg

This answer your question?

logo2.gif

This was even worse than he is now........

I've always gotten a kick out of the original Justice League of America #173 & 174 where Black Lightning refuses membership to the JLA because he "didn't want to join no white boy's club"...

:D :D :D

:)

celldog said:

I suppose so. Still, not every black hero is a glorified athlete. Black Lightning, while about as athletic as most heroes, has primairily energy based powers. Falcon isn't exactly a glorified athlete either, since he tends to rely more on his wits than head on physical confrontation. While Steel is usually drawn pretty ripped (and really, what comic characters aren't?), he pretty much always uses his mind to solve problems. John Stewert's powers are sheer energy manipulation. And that's not counting the female characters, either.

celldog said:
The most powerful heroes (most of them) are caucasian. Galactus, the Watcher, Dr. Strange, Sentry.....etc

Most of the cosmic types don't really have any race, and some don't even have any gender. As for Galactus, you have to remember something. He apears differently on every world he visits, based upon how the native people would envision an apocolypse god to apear. In many of the world's cultures, people tend to think of God as a really big white guy.

The Question said:
Most of the cosmic types don't really have any race, and some don't even have any gender. As for Galactus, you have to remember something. He apears differently on every world he visits, based upon how the native people would envision an apocolypse god to apear. In many of the world's cultures, people tend to think of God as a really big white guy.

Hell, Lee and Kirby might have subconsciencely made it anti-white with Galactus. I mean, everyone on the planet Earth envisions this evil apocolyptic thing as a big white guy.

Think about it...

:o

Kool-Aid said:
I think 50 Cent would make a good Cage. Gawd first you lay it on Will, but you've gone to far with 50.:(

F**k no.

I mean, this is a guy who sucked in acting in the lead role of a movie based on his own LIFE. How the hell can you expect him to be any better playing someone else?

celldog said:

Yes, the Watcher is a white guy.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hey guys, how racist is it that the personification of Dream is a lanky white dude? It's almost like Neil Gaiman is saying that black people don't dream!

Please stop with these racism in comics crap, celldog. Unless you're blatantly flaming the board, these have such laughably little basis in reality that further threads on them serve no point.

The Question said:
I suppose so. Still, not every black hero is a glorified athlete.

Did you not read what I said?? Did I say "every"???

Black Lightning, while about as athletic as most heroes, has primairily energy based powers. Falcon isn't exactly a glorified athlete either, since he tends to rely more on his wits than head on physical confrontation. While Steel is usually drawn pretty ripped (and really, what comic characters aren't?), he pretty much always uses his mind to solve problems. John Stewert's powers are sheer energy manipulation. And that's not counting the female characters, either.

Read the above. And when you get thru looking for a reason to disagree with ol' Celldog, those guys you just talked about are very athletic. Falcon was trained by Captain America!

Look...they have pink skin okay?? They may not have a race per se. But they do have a caucasian appearance. Why is that? Besides green or blue why couldn't the Watcher have brown skin?

celldog said:
Look...they have pink skin okay?? They may not have a race per se. But they do have a caucasian appearance. Why is that? Besides green or blue why couldn't the Watcher have brown skin?

Because comic books are racist. Thats why. Go get 'em celldog!:rolleyes:

Most depictions of black males in popular culture are "amerikan". The institutionalized racism has gone so far as to be common of all american youth, how many times have you heard a articulate black male referred to as a "sellout" or "trying to be white" by white and black contemporaries. Comic creators that are aware of this pitfall attempt to avoid it but it is increasingly difficult to avoid these "problems" and still create a compelling character. Hero's created or revamped to today's standards need some kind of hook or issue, and as the conflict is usually physical it is difficult to write a character and not have it fall under one of those hackneyed black amerikan sterotypes. Especially if the character isn't the main focus of the book in question. Not that it's impossible but it's a problem for someone not inherently sensitive to the issue to take into account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"