Race And Comics

But rest assured that many black people have worked in the DC and Marvel comics.

Server freaked out and brought about my first...

Wait for it...

DOUBLE POST!!!

Red Mask said:
But rest assured that many black people have worked in the DC and Marvel comics.
no one's questioning that. The point was there aren't that many black mainstream writers, is it a conspiracy hell no that's just the way the cookie has crumbled, but it has been clearly stated that the big 2 are not looking for new writers the only "new" comic writer that is black that I know of is Hudlin and he's writing Black Panther [*side note*I figured out what bothers me about that book (other than the slipshod writing) panther is too americanized in my opinion I don't know (and I know more than a few) any african men that act like afro-american males Panther under Hudlins pen does*end side note*]. I would love to hear that there are new black writers working on books that I am unaware of... but I don't think there are any ( and I hit the cons so I've seen most of them) Artist are if not plentiful at least maintain a strong presence at both companies but they don't write the tales so...

T'Jai said:
no one's questioning that. The point was there aren't that many black mainstream writers...,it has been clearly stated that the big 2 are not looking for new writers... I would love to hear that there are new black writers working on books that I am unaware of... but I don't think there are any ( and I hit the cons so I've seen most of them)

Quick question: are you only interested in characters from marvel or dc? I personally feel that comic fans who want more black presence in comics will have to look outside of what the big two will offer. You should check out http://blacksuperhero.com. There are several creators there with projects that are ready for purchase...and many with projects in development.

more interested in making positive black role-models mainstream, no Question I've got the site bookmarked ;)

I love the concept of Aaron day aka Blackjack...

That's me in a Doom costume ;)

RockSP said:
Quick question: are you only interested in characters from marvel or dc? I personally feel that comic fans who want more black presence in comics will have to look outside of what the big two will offer. You should check out http://blacksuperhero.com. There are several creators there with projects that are ready for purchase...and many with projects in development.

I was always under the impression comics should be about enjoyment, not whether or not it has a "black presence". Or for that matter, any other ethnic/racial/religious presence.

As am I, which is why I read so many varied titles. You've been here the whole time and know that we've already discused the whole "minorities need more role models" thing and with the proliferation of the hip hop phenomenon many of us feel there is a dearth of positive press for black males which can have a severe effect on a population that has so many fatherless children... So of course we are concerned about insignificant representation in our favorite medium. will it stop me from buying and enjoying comics ..no but it will remain a part of my social concerns and whenever I feel I can expose or inspire action I shall do so.

Im just saying, I dont mind people seeking out a racial presence that communicates better to them or anything, but it shouldnt be what comics are all about.

Darthphere said:
I was always under the impression comics should be about enjoyment, not whether or not it has a "black presence". Or for that matter, any other ethnic/racial/religious presence.

:huh: So it's okay for white creators to create white characters but blacks shouldn't create black characters? And if a book is about a black character it can't be "enjoyable"?

RockSP said:
:huh: So it's okay for white creators to create white characters but blacks shouldn't create black characters? And if a book is about a black character it can't be "enjoyable"?

Thats not what I said at all.:huh:

Im saying, it just shouldnt be about that. You shouldnt just read comics because you have a black writer writing a black character. You should pan out. For god's sake, Stan Lee, a the whitest white guy, a jewish man, created the greatest black character ever in Black Panther.

Darthphere said:
Thats not what I said at all.:huh:
Im saying, it just shouldnt be about that. You shouldnt just read comics because you have a black writer writing a black character.

And I never said you should. I read the comics that I enjoy. Marvel, DC, Darkhorse, Image, etc. There are books with black characters by black creators that I enjoy as well...

You should pan out.

Not sure what you mean here...

For god's sake, Stan Lee, a the whitest white guy, a jewish man, created the greatest black character ever in Black Panther.

You have the right to your opinion, of course...I happen not to agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"