Rank the Seasons

All right folks...time to rank the seasons

1. Season 4
From the conquering of Meereen, the Death of Joffery, the Mountain v Viper and the Watchers on the Wall.
2. Season 6
While Dany's story was weak, everyone else's was great
3. Season 7
Despite its slow start, it was one of the best.
4.Season 1
A solid intro season
5.Season 3
Astapor burning to the ground and the Red Wedding
6. Season 2
Outside of Tyrion in KL and Blackwater, everyone's stories were just ok
7. Season 5
Despite Hardhome vying for the best episode of the series, an overall weak season. Jamie and Bronn in Dorne could have been great...:(
I think season 4 is underrated. I would put 7 below 5, and 8 dead last. So my order is

Season4
Season3
Season2
Season1
Season6
Season5
Season7
Season8

Last edited:
Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter was a strong ending for the series. Kind of sad we never saw what happened when Dany made it to Westeros, but **** happens.

Yeah, unfortunately season 8 did follow the downfall trend. It was by far the worst season of the show and a disgrace for so many character arcs and plotlines. The ending leaves me sad for all the wrong reasons.

Season 8...

giphy.gif

My rank would be

1. Season 3
2. Season 1
3. Season 4
4. Season 6
5. Season 8
6. Season 7
7. Season 5
8. Season 2

I honestly didn't hate Season 8 like so many people. Without a doubt, the writing dipped in Season 7, some of the things that happened during battles or skirmishes were dumb, I needed more substance behind Dany murdering the innocents of King's Landing, and I really really don't like Jaime going back to Cersei because he was still in love with her.

However, I've always watched this show mostly for Arya and Jaime. I like Jon and Dany, but I was never so heavily invested in them that any missteps narratively would hurt my overall enjoyment of the show. I actually like Arya leaving to go west, but I think I'm more happy she just made it out alive. And though I hated how Jaime himself ended I loved Brienne filling up his part of the Kingsguard book.

Season 8 (or really this all should've led up to a Season 10) should've absolutely been better, and that's a knock on it. However I've also seen far far worse seasons to end a show.

1. Seasons 1 & 4
2. Seasons 2 & 3

<MAJOR NOTICEABLE GAP IN WRITING AND STORY QUALITY>

3. Season 6
4. Seasons 5,7,8

The final four seasons were still very enjoyable because the quality of the other aspects of the show outside of writing were maintained. The actors and directors did their best to make up for it and did all the heavy lifting. There were definitely a lot of great moments, some good episodes, and a few scenes here and there where D&D nailed it, but inconsistent pacing (especially rushing the end), poor narrative cohesion, and the downright stupidity of the dialogue and character decisions at times dragged it down...sometimes so much that it actually jolted me out of the show while watching it.

Last edited:
1. Season 4
Still my favorite just because of the momentum it had and it was also based off of most of my favorite parts from A Storm of Swords.
2. Season 1
I'm ranking it above season 6 because of its storyline, but in terms of sheer enjoyment, 6 might have it beat.
3. Season 6
I thought it was a very good season as it was, but episodes 9 and 10 just elevated it to the next level.
4. Season 3
If not for episodes 9 and 10 of season 6, this would have had it beat.
5. Season 7
Still a great season even though it was only 7 episodes, mostly thanks to "The Spoils of War" and "Beyond the Wall". The finale was awesome too.
6. Season 2
Still great, and "Blackwater" remains one of the best episodes of the series.
7. Season 5
It started out slow but had a stronger finish, still good though.
8. Season 8
While I don't think it was bad overall, it was just way too rushed.

Season 8 was just a continuation of what we got the previous 2-3 seasons. Not significantly worse in terms of actual quality, but it hit harder because it was the culmination of the entire show. Once they wrapped up the White Walker threat the way they did there was no chance of recovery. Even then, I didn't expect the show to botch Dany's final episodes so completely.

In the end it doesn't matter how good the show may have been in its early seasons, these last six episodes have poisoned everything. The books can't get here soon enough.

Last edited:

And turns out I was right afterall as evidenced on earlier pg of this thread. I saw the dip in season 6. The battle in season 6 looked good and certain parts were spot on effects wise but the showrunners needed to be tethered to the books characterization wise and things just were kind of plodding for a while. It was just too much. I'll watch 7 and 8 maybe at some point but not surprised like the rest of a lot of people who seemed to like the pandering the last seasons did writing wise then of course finally become unhinged when things wrap-up.

Soooo:

1. Season 6 (best episode: Battle of the Bastards)
2. Season 1 (best episode: Fire and Blood)
3. Season 4 (best episode: The Children)
4. Season 8 (best episode: The Bells)
5. Season 2 (best episode: Blackwater)
6. Season 7 (best episode: The Spoils of War)
7. Season 5 (best episode: Hardhome)
8. Season 3 (best episode: The Rains of Castamere)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"