Venom Rank VENOM against the other Spider movies

Between production, acting, and script quality I think I will rate Venom a 6.5/10, or round it up to 7/10.
Acting is notably better than I was led to believe, it's clearly not the level of convincingly good performances, but they are better than wooden. Effects are cheap looking. The story is as people said more than once... so rushed, it feels like it is missing some important parts, mainly in the first 15 minutes and somewhere between the climax battle and the last scene.

Don't tell me this is not the review thread, I'm aware of that, that is why this part of the post serves this purpose.

Quality placement:
  1. Spider-Man
  2. Spider-Man 3
  3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  4. The Amazing Spider-Man
  5. Spider-Man 2
  6. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
  7. Venom

Joy placement:
  1. Spider-Man --- 10/10
  2. Spider-Man 3 --- 10/10
  3. Spider-Man 2 --- 10/10
  4. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 --- 9.5/10
  5. The Amazing Spider-Man --- 9/10
  6. Venom --- 8.5/10
  7. Spider-Man: Homecoming --- 7.5/10

After thinking and writing about this movie for a few months now, I’m going to edit my personal rankings:

1) Spider-Man (nothing tops the first time seeing Spidey on the big screen imho)

2) Venom (nothing tops seeing the true Venom on the big screen, except Spidey lol)

3) SM2
4) Homecoming

TASM
SM3
TASM2

Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man
Spider-Man homecoming
Venom

Spider-Man 3
Asm
Asm2

Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Into the Spider-Verse
Spider-Man 3
Homecoming
The Amazing Spider-Man
Venom
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Into the Spider-Verse
Homecoming
SM2
SM1
SM3
Venom
ASM1
ASM2

Okay, my ranking for the Spider-Man films (now that I've finally seen Venom):

1) Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.
It's just that good. I rewatched all the Spidey-films afterwards, and they just can't touch it.

2) Spider-Man 2
Today, this is number 2. It was the one I watched directly after watching Spider-verse. That tells me it must be the former number one of my heart. Tobey's Peter hasn't aged well, but the drama and heart of this movie still hold up. Also, the train fight is still the best Spidey fight ever.

3) Spider-man: Homecoming
My kids, my wife, and myself were all shocked with how awesome this movie was. It was funny, it had heart, and it put Spidey where he belonged: in the Marvel Universe! That being said, that may be also what puts Spider-Man 2 above it. You can go into SM2 knowing nothing, and it works perfectly. SMHC requires knowledge of other films for it to be totally enjoyed...which, as much as I LOVE the MCU, may be its Achilles heel.

3) Spider-Man
This was where it all began, and it still holds a lot of love in my heart. That first time seeing Spidey swing, or hearing JJJ call him a menace...worth it.

4) Venom
Yeah, I'm shocked it's this high, as well. It shouldn't be. It has a laundry list of problems. A LOT of suspension of disbelief is needed for the plot to get to where it does, but it manages to do it with style...and fun! Despite the female lead sucking the life out of all her scenes, and despite a very weak villain, it works solely on the shoulders of Tom Hardy and the promise of Carnage.

5) The Amazing Spider-Man
I didn't HATE this one. I actually like Garfield as Spidey probably more than Maguire, but I just wish he had gotten the scripts Tobey did. Also, Gwen. She was there, and she was awesome. Lizard needed a snout, a lab coat, and a little more...presence. We all gave them the benefit of the doubt with this too-soon reboot, and it cost us later...

6) Spider-Man 3
The conclusion of the Raimi trilogy just missed sticking the landing. I still feel like they should have included the black suit, a different Eddie Brock, and held onto Venom for part 4. Then things would have been great. As it is, we settled for mediocrity. Also, this was the first instance I recall of Sony giving away the ENTIRE movie before it aired. Shoot, they aired the ENTIRE Peter/Harry fight scene 6 months before the movie debuted! Ugh...Sony became their own worst enemy with this one.

7) The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Bottom tier, by far. This one featured the worst opening scene ever, as we get a REPEAT of the same opening scene from the first movie, doubling down on the parents angle, which was the worst part of the first film! Then, it picked up with some of the best web-slinging, best Spider-quippage, and Peter Parker moments...only to reveal the worst villain the films have EVER had. Topher Grace's Venom looked like a rockstar compared to Jamie Fox's Max Dillon, who channeled Batman Forever's Jim Carrey to the point I almost walked out.
Then, we get a few cool Spidey points, and a middle act that had NO POINT. Lastly, we're given a send off to the best gal pal in any Spider-Man movie, Gwen Stacy, that just reminded us that she deserved a better movie to live in....and die in. Not seeing part 3 of this one was a shame...but since Sony gave away the big fights, the big death, the first scene, the climactic showdown, the set-up for a sequel, and the final scene in the PREVIEWS, we could have just waited for Sony to release a trailer, and we would have immediately known the whole film. I just can't understand it. If they had saved Rhino as a surprise, or maybe the Sinister 6, MAYBE we could have cared, but Rhino was even in the posters! Ugh.

Ahem.
Anyways, there's my rankings and why.

0. Into The Spider-Verse ( Yes, its that good )

1. Homecoming
2. Spider-man 2
3. Spider-man
4. Spider-man 3
5. Amazing Spider-man
6. Venom
7. Amazing Spider-man 2

Last edited:
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 3
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man: Homecoming

Venom (so bad I want to place it somewhere at the bottom of the Mariana Trench)

Haven't seen Into the Spider-Verse yet

Spidey movies I like
1st-Spiderman 3 (even if i dislike some scenes in the movie. thanks to symbiote and Osborn's anger)
2nd-AM Spiderman 2 (more dramatic than all others movies)
3th-Spiderman 2 (awesome)
4th-Spiderman 1 (fist movie! cult)
Spidey movies i was a little disappointed
5th-Amazing SM (i dont like Lizard. annoying movie)
6th-Spiderman Homeciming (cant bear this spider-kid)
7th-Venom (mega flop. no thank)

Spidey movies I like
1st-Spiderman 3 (even if i dislike some scenes in the movie. thanks to symbiote and Osborn's anger)
2nd-AM Spiderman 2 (more dramatic than all others movies)
3th-Spiderman 2 (awesome)
4th-Spiderman 1 (fist movie! cult)
Spidey movies i was a little disappointed
5th-Amazing SM (i dont like Lizard. annoying movie)
6th-Spiderman Homeciming (cant bear this spider-kid)
7th-Venom (mega flop. no thanks)
That's a little disappointment? Fascinating.

Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man
Spider-Man Homecoming
Spider-Man 3

TASM

TASM 2

Turd in the wind

1. Spiderman 2
2. Spiderman
3. Spiderman Homecoming
4. Venom
5. Spiderman 3
6. TASM
7. TASM 2

Its not great and Hardy just about held the whole thing together and that made at least half of it fun and entertaining, slightly above the mess of SM3 and the odd remakes of TASM and the hilariously bad TASM2. The top 3 though are way ahead of the rest for me.

Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man
Spider-Man Homecoming
Spider-Man 3

TASM

TASM 2

Turd in the wind
enA1IJy.gif

Always happy to have an excuse to post this. :D

I rewatched it again over the long weekend while drawing up a Far From Home pic I'm working on, it's still fun. definitely a messy first act, but the symbiote is the best character by far...and Eddie is still the worst reporter ever. Well, second worst next to Lois Lane.

Spidey Solo ranks:
Spider-man 2
Venom
Spider-man
SM: Homecoming
ASM2
ASM1
Spider-man 3

vs all Spidey appearances:
Captain America: Civil War
Avengers: Infinity War
Avengers: Endgame
Spider-man 2
Venom
Spider-man
SM: Homecoming
ASM2
ASM1
Spider-man 3

Civil War, Infinity War, and Endgame are better than all the solo outings of Spidey. However, It's been increasingly more difficult to rank them. So many ties these days...

1/2. Far From Home + Homecoming (A)
3/4. Spider-Man 2 + The Amazing Spider-Man (B)
5/6. Venom + Spider-Man (C)
7/8. The Amazing Spider-man 2 + Spider-Man 3 (D)

I rewatched it again over the long weekend while drawing up a Far From Home pic I'm working on, it's still fun. definitely a messy first act, but the symbiote is the best character by far...and Eddie is still the worst reporter ever. Well, second worst next to Lois Lane.

Someone who talks and acts the way Hardy plays Eddie would never be some hotshot reporter.

1. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
  2. Spider-Man
  3. Spider-Man 3
  4. Spider-Man 2
  5. Miles Morales movie
  6. Venom (it's funny, and I won't apologize)
  7. Far From Home
  8. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
  9. The Amazing Spider-Man
  10. Homecoming

Please explain
Why it's my favorite? It does have the best characterization of the protagonist and most solid storytelling of them all.

And that show is a Spider-Man show in a Batman skin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"