• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Superman Returns Rate Kevin Spacey's performance as Lex Luthor

Steelsheen

Head Geek of Nerdtopia
Reaction score
Now that you've seen Kevin Spacey's performance in the film, what is your assesment of him as Lex Luthor?

superman_returns_03.jpg

He was definetly brilliant, touch of Gene Hackman but more evil and devious!! Perfect for the role, great performance!! Thumbs up!

Too much Hackman still for my tastes. Like I've said all along, I can't stand this version of Lex with his henchmen, his annoying lady companion, and his stupid complicated real estate plots.

Sorry, I want a mad scientist/capitalist Luthor who works in the shadows with utter efficiency and ruthlessness, sort of like a cancer man with unlimited money and power. I've been too spoiled by Lex Luthor Man of Steel.

Too zany still - he robbed himself of his own dignity a couple times.

Spare-Flair said:
Too much Hackman still for my tastes. Like I've said all along, I can't stand this version of Lex with his henchmen, his annoying lady companion, and his stupid complicated real estate plots.

Sorry, I want a mad scientist/capitalist Luthor who works in the shadows with utter efficiency and ruthlessness, sort of like a cancer man with unlimited money and power. I've been too spoiled by Lex Luthor Man of Steel.

There's still the sequel for him to become the scientist/capitalist Luthor.

And he was pretty damn ruthless,
Actually cutting the brakes instead of them pretending to be out?

And then
Kicking the holy hell out of Superman while on the new Krypton? Not even Hackman's Luthor did that.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with his Lex. Did he have a sense of humor? Sure. But he wasn't campy. Not in the slightest. His was a crazy kind of humor. Anyway, I really liked that they actually did use a touch of Lex Luthor: Man of Steel. He's commiting horrible crimes, but he feels that it's the best for humanity. Stealing fire from the gods.

Was this film the fanboy cluster f^ck I thought it would be? No! I really enjoyed various parts, but two things that I didn't like pre-viewing remain. One, that damn kid. And two, Spacey's Lex had that zany camp feeling to him, as did Kitty and the gang. Call me intentionally biased, but I went in with an open mind, I did, and I also talked to about 20 different people afterwards getting a feel for what the mass audience thought. There response. Comedical. Lex was a comedic menace, despite the varying scene's of intensity. I was right in regard to previous statements about this vision of Lex. Singer went back in time, cloned Hackman's Lex, and then gave him the New Krypton beat down. If there is a sequel, lets avoid the humorous villian.

If there is still an ownage thread coming, so be it. It won't bother me one bit now that Ive watched the movie. I stand by my opinion.

I thought Lex was brilliant and I liked the kid.

I really don't see what the problem with him having a sense of humor. The villain doesn;t always have to be the big scary bad guy. The inherent sarcasm present in this Lex made him feel a bit more human. Wich is kind of the point with Lex and Superman's relationship. Lex is the human facing off against what he sees as the evil alien god who's holding us back. It's David VS. Goliath.

Personally, I rate Kevin Spacey's Performance as Gene Hackman a 10/10.

When I finally thought that goofy villains and their sidekick henchmen and clingy women were finally gone from Superhero films...Bryan Singer comes along. The guy obviously worships the 1978 film. I wish he had reimagined Superman instead of remaking it.

Its okay Venom, the movie made me so happy Im mature enough not to resort to insulting your opinion or 'ownage'

But the audience loved Lex, I was surprised.

This Lex also has the potential to be even darker in the sequel, I saw his darkside when he brutally attacked Superman, that scene was intense.

The audience (mainly the girls) loved the kid too. When Jason first spoke, the entire girl audience (and this place was packed...full seats) were like "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww"

So I guess he served his purpose. He definately aided in stirring up the emotional content of alot of the sad scenes in the end....and I love where this very unique story is going.

The Question said:
I really don't see what the problem with him having a sense of humor. The villain doesn;t always have to be the big scary bad guy. The inherent sarcasm present in this Lex made him feel a bit more human. Wich is kind of the point with Lex and Superman's relationship. Lex is the human facing off against what he sees as the evil alien god who's holding us back. It's David VS. Goliath.

And in effect, Superman becomes the cold, monosyllabic, monotone guy without the sense of humor? Come in, the comics, it's Superman who makes quips to Luthor and Luthor is vicious and deadly serious in every panel. In most literature, people who act sardonic or goofy or sarcastic are using comedy to mask some kind of trauma or deep-seated lack of confidence in themselves.

Lex IS utterly 100% confident that he is better than Superman. But in this film, he isn't because he doesn't know it. He can only joke about it to others and himself in his corny sardonic delusion. I guess he just misses his little short sidekick who he's left in prison.

It's also well known that people who have a superority complex/messiah complex (which Lex has in spaids) tend to be very sarcastic towards others because they see them as moving to slow by comparison. There was nothing wrong with Lex. Besides, Lex in the comics has been known to make sarcastic little quips before. I really don't see the problem with Lex having a sense of humor.

I dig Spacey's Luthor. Much better & less campy than Hackman. He was evil & very sadistic. There's nothing wrong with having a little humor. You know that villians who are selfish & ruthless can tend to be humorous, because they see their humor as a well of making themself feel good when it make others feel bad.

I enjoyed his performance very much, although he should have worn a skin cap, because there were too many scenes where it was obvious that his head was shaved.

Believe me, this movie needed a Luthor like him.

After that heartbreaking hospital scene, the audience needed something to cheer them up.............Luthor supplied that.

It was well paced.

There were some flat scenes with Lex, but I totally loved his Lex. He was mean, but funny. The ruthlessness at the end had me shocked...literally. He and his henchmen seriously gave Supes a beat down. I was horrified to see that and a little dismayed.

Lex didn't steal the show like I thought he would, but he was good.

charl_huntress said:
There were some flat scenes with Lex, but I totally loved his Lex. He was mean, but funny. The ruthlessness at the end had me shocked...literally. He and his henchmen seriously gave Supes a beat down. I was horrified to see that and a little dismayed.

Lex didn't steal the show like I thought he would, but he was good.

I thought the island shaped like a porkchop was the best scene. You just know that the dog is going to suffer the same fate as his previous buddy.

War Lord said:
I thought the island shaped like a porkchop was the best scene. You just know that the dog is going to suffer the same fate as his previous buddy.

God...that was hilarious. I did like Spacey...but Posey. I hated her she. She seemed really useless. She wasn't a Tess-remake more than a whiny and reluctant henchwoman. She just seemed there to throw out stupid lines and it got annoying after a while.

charl_huntress said:
God...that was hilarious. I did like Spacey...but Posey. I hated her she. She seemed really useless. She wasn't a Tess-remake more than a whiny and reluctant henchwoman. She just seemed there to throw out stupid lines and it got annoying after a while.

The problem wasn't so much with Posey as it was with Spacey. When it comes to comedy duos, the ability to make the clown seem plausible is almost totally dependent upon the straight man. If the straight man doesn't give the clown plausibility, than the clown jokes fall flat.

It's part of the reason why Gene Hackman was such a great Lex.

ruthless and i loved it.... now lex lets get off the whole land thing and concentrate on killing superman :p

War Lord said:
The problem wasn't so much with Posey as it was with Spacey. When it comes to comedy duos, the ability to make the clown seem plausible is almost totally dependent upon the straight man. If the straight man doesn't give the clown plausibility, than the clown jokes fall flat.

It's part of the reason why Gene Hackman was such a great Lex.

I see what you are saying, but I think the problem was more Posey's fault. Her role was for HIGH comedy, but she played it down so it didn't come off corny. IMO that was a mistake because she was supposed to be corny. I felt like she didn't give Spacey enough to work with.

I didn't think he was as vindictive as he shoudl have been. I felt he should have been how he was, but when Superman saved the plane, I think he should have been more pissed off an single minded on klilling Superman. So instead of the land plot, he should have swtiched gears to "with this I can kill him. Finally. I can kill him" And his hencman saying "Hey Lex. Aren't we doing this for the land and the technology" Lex-"I don't care about that anymore. I just want him. Why does he always come into my life when I am just feeling good about myself? Dammit! Why does he always show up when I am trying to do something"" Something like that. They touched on it, but I wish they had expanded on it.

Just my opinion. I think although good, that was missed. AGAIN, JUST MY OPINION.

charl_huntress said:
I see what you are saying, but I think the problem was more Posey's fault. Her role was for HIGH comedy, but she played it down so it didn't come off corny. IMO that was a mistake because she was supposed to be corny. I felt like she didn't give Spacey enough to work with.

She could only do so much with the material she had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"