Superman Returns Lex Luthor Hype!

Keyser Soze said:
I'm assuming by being fresh out of jail, he has managed to "clear his name" so to speak. He's out of prison, and in Superman's absense has established himself as a legitimate businessman, a saviour of Metropolis. Depending on where Luthor ends up by the climax of "Superman Returns", I think the sequel will see him either on the run, fully reverted to a Pre-Crisis style persona, or running for President. All depends on whether Superman can bring him to justice in this film.

lol I would love to see LEX run for president in the movie or in the sequel... That would be killer! :up:

Well, I just thought I'd give my thread THE BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG BUUUUUUUUMP!

The first reviews are filtering in, and the general concensus is that Kevin Spacey is awesome as Lex Luthor. And, to finally put the whisperings of camp to rest, the reviews all say this is the most sinister Lex Luthor we've ever seen. I can't wait to see how Spacey pulls off Luthor!

superman11.jpg

honestly speaking, Spacey is the one reason i'm going to watch this film.

i've been dissapointed about a lot of things about this production, but those few clips from Spacey in the tv spots and trailers won me back.:up:

so yeah SPACEY DAMMIT!!!:D

Jaquin Phoenix was my choice for Lex, but anyway....

Singer's big mistake IMO with this film was making it a continuation of Hackman, the worst Lex of all time. Ive stated this a million times so Im keeping it brief, from the trailers, reviews, character desrcriptions, novel, etc etc Lex is making stupid jokes, referring to himself as a " criminal mastermind ", keeping a goon squad around so he can make assinine remarks, and he has his Teshmacker like bimbo girlfriend, the horrible Parker Posey. Singer has to much of a 70's vibe going on with Luthor, with the cheesy comments and big evil-doer plan to KILL BILLIONS. It's ridiculous that Singer didn't use the updated version, the best version, of Lex Luthor from the comics today. Infact, while the writers may have read them, Singer didn't use ANY influences from anything post-Donner, and thats a slap in the face to some of the best Superman work ever. Just because he uses Fleischer like images does not mean he has a more well rounded respect for Superman and the mythos. The Lex Luthor of todays comics and Smallville would have fit much better based on everything thats going on in the world today, crooked and scheming politicians, greedy corporations. If anything, this Luthor is like the joker, which I have stated over and over again. And skruloos, before you come along and say that I want corporate Luthor because thats my favorite and thats not good enough for you, keep in mind that Im also saying this vision of Lex isn't good enough for the big screen. Movie goers might love the film yes, but a stronger, more sinister, less funny villian will be called for the sequel.

Now I will sit and wait to be called a dumb ass by certain posters, one armed with harmless " Nerd Lunch Table " humor that I find so amusing.:)

venom420 said:
Jaquin Phoenix was my choice for Lex, but anyway....

Singer's big mistake IMO with this film was making it a continuation of Hackman, the worst Lex of all time. Ive stated this a million times so Im keeping it brief, from the trailers, reviews, character desrcriptions, novel, etc etc Lex is making stupid jokes, referring to himself as a " criminal mastermind ", keeping a goon squad around so he can make assinine remarks, and he has his Teshmacker like bimbo girlfriend, the horrible Parker Posey. Singer has to much of a 70's vibe going on with Luthor, with the cheesy comments and big evil-doer plan to KILL BILLIONS. It's ridiculous that Singer didn't use the updated version, the best version, of Lex Luthor from the comics today. Infact, while the writers may have read them, Singer didn't use ANY influences from anything post-Donner, and thats a slap in the face to some of the best Superman work ever. Just because he uses Fleischer like images does not mean he has a more well rounded respect for Superman and the mythos. The Lex Luthor of todays comics and Smallville would have fit much better based on everything thats going on in the world today, crooked and scheming politicians, greedy corporations. If anything, this Luthor is like the joker, which I have stated over and over again. And skruloos, before you come along and say that I want corporate Luthor because thats my favorite and thats not good enough for you, keep in mind that Im also saying this vision of Lex isn't good enough for the big screen. Movie goers might love the film yes, but a stronger, more sinister, less funny villian will be called for the sequel.

Now I will sit and wait to be called a dumb ass by certain posters, one armed with harmless " Nerd Lunch Table " humor that I find so amusing.:)

Now, I've largely stayed away from spoilers, so I know very little about what happens with Lex Luthor in the film. But I've always assumed that in many ways, "Superman Returns" would be about new beginnings for all the key players. Superman starts the film as an outcast, but by the end will most likely be embraced as the world's saviour again. Lois Lane has moved on with her life, but by the end will have gotten together with Clark Kent once more. But what about Lex Luthor? I know that at the start of the film, he has recently been released from prison, and that early on in the story he inherits a billion-dollay shipping industry. No major spoilers there, btw. But where do we go from here? We know Kevin Spacey is signed on for sequels. I've been assuming that the film will likely end with the creation of Lexcorp, and Luthor transforming from a character like Hackman's movie Luthor to something more closely resembling his comic book incarnation.

A poster has asked me if I could post this here. Thus, here it is. For those cautious about a possibly "campy" Lex the following scene DEFINITELY shows otherwise. Lex is someone to definitely fear..... btw, his plan isn't to kill billions.... Lois states that his plan could kill millions, but Luthor laughs it off- 'just collateral damage, nothing important as long as I get my way.'

Also- this is a scene close to the ending of the film, so !!!spoiler!!! matterial. Scared about Lex being campy? Read on, the following might make you change your mind...

Note: The following is written by Marv Wolfman
Superman tried to move, but Luthor had a foot pressed against his back, pinning him to the floor. His saw that his hands were turning green.

Luthor chuckled, "Kryptonite. You're asking yourself 'how'? Well, didn't your dad ever tell you to look before you leap?"

Superman felt his head nearly explode as he struggled to aim his X-Ray vision at the crystal. The back of his skull was throbbing, and he could barely see what was directly in front of him. But, slowly in front of him. But slowly, an out-of-focus image began to come together. In the ground and walls of the Fortress replica were pockets and veins of Kryptonite which had somehow fused with the crystal, beoming one.

"How?"

"Crystals are amazing, aren't they?" Luthor laughed, then smashed his foot into Superman's back. He laughed again as Superman recoiled in pain.

Luthor hunkered down and looked him in the eyes. "They inherit thr traits of the minerals around them. Sort of like a son inheriting the traits of his father."

Luthor stood bak up again and smashed heel into Superman's side. He thought he heard a bone break, and he laughed out loud. "Oh, this is so good. This is so good."

Luthor kicked him again, reveling in his anger, living for the violence, crude and barbaric. "Look, Superman, you've got no one to blame but yourself. We sent you there to die, but you had to come back!"

Superman could feel blood smearing his face and hands.

"Don't you know where you're wanted and where you're not?"

Superman forced his eyes to look up, his expression turning from agony to realization. Luthor laughed at his dumbfounded look.

"Oh yeah. All these photos? Those stories about Krypton still existing." He pointed to himself in glee. "It was me. And, oh yes, him," he said gesturing to Stanford. "Thankfully, the press don't check facts like they used to."

Superman tried to speak, but blood was filling his mouth. Luthor glared at him again as he kicked him once more in his side. This time Superman yelped in pain. Blood spattered against the glittering crystal.

"You took away five years of my life. I just returned the favor."

TO BE CONTINUED IN THEATERS....
Note that Lex continues to abuse Superman in his time of weakness. Lex is VERY sadistic the whole way through. And add what Kevin Spacey can bring to this- yikes!!!!

thanks Triligors :D :up:

now even before reading anything from the novel i had every confidence in Spacey that he will deliver the goods. now with a scene like what Tril posted, Spacey wont only deliver, he gonna friggin own this role! :D:up:

Triligors said:
A poster has asked me if I could post this here. Thus, here it is. For those cautious about a possibly "campy" Lex the following scene DEFINITELY shows otherwise. Lex is someone to definitely fear..... btw, his plan isn't to kill billions.... Lois states that his plan could kill millions, but Luthor laughs it off- 'just collateral damage, nothing important as long as I get my way.'

Also- this is a scene close to the ending of the film, so !!!spoiler!!! matterial. Scared about Lex being campy? Read on, the following might make you change your mind...

Note: The following is written by Marv Wolfman
Superman tried to move, but Luthor had a foot pressed against his back, pinning him to the floor. His saw that his hands were turning green.

Luthor chuckled, "Kryptonite. You're asking yourself 'how'? Well, didn't your dad ever tell you to look before you leap?"

Superman felt his head nearly explode as he struggled to aim his X-Ray vision at the crystal. The back of his skull was throbbing, and he could barely see what was directly in front of him. But, slowly in front of him. But slowly, an out-of-focus image began to come together. In the ground and walls of the Fortress replica were pockets and veins of Kryptonite which had somehow fused with the crystal, beoming one.

"How?"

"Crystals are amazing, aren't they?" Luthor laughed, then smashed his foot into Superman's back. He laughed again as Superman recoiled in pain.

Luthor hunkered down and looked him in the eyes. "They inherit thr traits of the minerals around them. Sort of like a son inheriting the traits of his father."

Luthor stood bak up again and smashed heel into Superman's side. He thought he heard a bone break, and he laughed out loud. "Oh, this is so good. This is so good."

Luthor kicked him again, reveling in his anger, living for the violence, crude and barbaric. "Look, Superman, you've got no one to blame but yourself. We sent you there to die, but you had to come back!"

Superman could feel blood smearing his face and hands.

"Don't you know where you're wanted and where you're not?"

Superman forced his eyes to look up, his expression turning from agony to realization. Luthor laughed at his dumbfounded look.

"Oh yeah. All these photos? Those stories about Krypton still existing." He pointed to himself in glee. "It was me. And, oh yes, him," he said gesturing to Stanford. "Thankfully, the press don't check facts like they used to."

Superman tried to speak, but blood was filling his mouth. Luthor glared at him again as he kicked him once more in his side. This time Superman yelped in pain. Blood spattered against the glittering crystal.

"You took away five years of my life. I just returned the favor."

TO BE CONTINUED IN THEATERS....
Note that Lex continues to abuse Superman in his time of weakness. Lex is VERY sadistic the whole way through. And add what Kevin Spacey can bring to this- yikes!!!!

I read that part too. Spacey is going to be DAMN right awesome as Lex, This Lex isn't campy . This Lex is down right evil .

Venom you know i think your cool dude. But your bringing me down man:) LOL Phoenix for Lex. Sorry I dont agree with that. And Lex is not going to be campy in the flic bud, sorry. I dont see anything campy about him kicking the s**t out of superman. I have read the novel 4 times and it keeps getting better everytime i read it. Come on JUNE 25TH

venom420 said:
And skruloos, before you come along and say that I want corporate Luthor because thats my favorite and thats not good enough for you, keep in mind that Im also saying this vision of Lex isn't good enough for the big screen. Movie goers might love the film yes, but a stronger, more sinister, less funny villian will be called for the sequel.

This vision of Lex isn't good enough for the big screen? From the nine minutes of footage you've seen? Whew. On another note, none of us have to call you anything. You have a dope reference in your handle. You might as well walk around sporting a "kick me" sandwich board. It's funny, people still don't get the concept of what makes Lex Luthor work in all of his different incarnations (whether you like the mad scientist or billionaire tycoon). It's simple. He is the one human criminal who can match Superman without physical force and without genuine fear. Never mind the fact Luthor is pretty "corporate" in this film by living in a mansion. Maybe he's a small business owner.

Honestly? I wasn't all that interested in the movie, Superman Returns. The first teaser didn't convince me. The second trailer -- OH, YEAH!!! Fell off my chair when I saw Spacey as Lex being sadistic and madman. Yeah, yeah, it's ironic that I'm named Mr Lex Luthor, but that was inspired from Michael Rosenbaum's Lex in Smallville (loved the episode, Onyx, by the way). I'm only seeing Superman Returns just for Kevin Spacey, James Marsden, the story and action. Can't wait.

DvilDog said:
Venom you know i think your cool dude. But your bringing me down man:) LOL Phoenix for Lex. Sorry I dont agree with that. And Lex is not going to be campy in the flic bud, sorry. I dont see anything campy about him kicking the s**t out of superman. I have read the novel 4 times and it keeps getting better everytime i read it. Come on JUNE 25TH

DvilDog, about Phoenix, I DON'T feel he would be good as the Luthor that will be brought to life in Returns, campy or not. But as the corporate, jealous, S:TAS like version of Luthor, he would rule the screen.

venom420 said:
DvilDog, about Phoenix, I DON'T feel he would be good as the Luthor that will be brought to life in Returns, campy or not. But as the corporate, jealous, S:TAS like version of Luthor, he would rule the screen.

Hmm you do have a pretty good point there!

KaptainKrypton said:
This vision of Lex isn't good enough for the big screen? From the nine minutes of footage you've seen? Whew. On another note, none of us have to call you anything. You have a dope reference in your handle. You might as well walk around sporting a "kick me" sandwich board. It's funny, people still don't get the concept of what makes Lex Luthor work in all of his different incarnations (whether you like the mad scientist or billionaire tycoon). It's simple. He is the one human criminal who can match Superman without physical force and without genuine fear. Never mind the fact Luthor is pretty "corporate" in this film by living in a mansion. Maybe he's a small business owner.

You know, it's people like you who irritate me and take shots below the belt while Im away. First off, Im combining my knowledge of said 9 minutes, Singer's love for S:TM and the fact that this is a continuation of that story, online readings describing the character, characters that act as Lex's entourage which consist of Kitty K. the bimbo girlfriend and a doof squad for Lex to fire his sarcasm at, and other tidbits. If Im wrong, then Im wrong. If Im right, then Im right.

And now we can move on to a personal matter. You say that I have a dope reference in my title. Now, 420 couldn't possibly mean something else entirely could it. No way. Well, actually you ass, it does have a WAYYYY different meaning. My mother died on April 20th seven years ago, ya know the 20th day of the 4th month. So how about you keep your f^cking remarks and quips to yourself, most importantly sh^t you know nothing about. If I saw you face to face right now Id break your neck. No seriously, I would. And the next time you feel like making those kind of comments, come on up, or down, to Oxford, Ohio and I can hold a sign over your nuts that says " kick me " and then I will proceed. Internet message boards should be fun, but people like you have to make it personal. I hate you.

P.S. Do you introduce yourself to girls as Kaptain Krypton, because the look on there face afterwards would be hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"