• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rate the Teaser Trailer!

I don't know when that statement was made but I don't believe all of the top execs at FOX feel that way. They will deal how they see fit if its in their best interests.

They don't own the merchandising rights. They can't produce merchandise for the film, they haven't been able to do that since XMO Wolverine. They have nothing to negotiate with. Marvel can black ball them from producing film merchandise as long as they want and Fox can't do a damn thing about it.

They can't cross over FF with X-men without Marvel's consent so that is a dead end as well.

Well Fox do have the right to the cut of the film merchandising they just have no control over what gets made, but Marvel clearly doesn't care too much about it since they seem to be willing to have no merchandising than share the profits from them.

Well Fox do have the right to the cut of the film merchandising they just have no control over what gets made, but Marvel clearly doesn't care too much about it since they seem to be willing to have no merchandising than share the profits from them.

That's what I'm saying. They have no bargaining power. Marvel can produce comic versions of all the FF and X-men merchandise they want and take 100% of the profit.

The FF merchandise from the first two films and most of the X-men film merchandise sold like crap so it's really no skin off Marvel's back.

If Fox ever came back to Marvel to try to negotiate by giving them a higher percentage of merchandise rights, Marvel would laugh them out of the room.

The big point is there will NEVER be a FF/X-men crossover so long as Fox holds the rights.

I don't know when that statement was made but I don't believe all of the top execs at FOX feel that way. They will deal how they see fit if its in their best interests.

The statement also proved false - FOX lost Daredevil just a few years later.

And there is not a theater owner in the country that would be willing to give up the right to screen Walt Disney Pictures, Walt Disney Animation, Lucasfilm, Marvel Studios and Pixar features in order to abet FOX in a rights scam.

The big point is there will NEVER be a FF/X-men crossover so long as Fox holds the rights.

Thank you, I've been saying that for a while now but some people think it is still in the cards.

It wasn't for lack of trying to avoid it though.

Yeah, Fox only lost the DD rights because they screwed up, and/or were screwed by the director leaving at the last minute.

Where are the sources stating that X-Men and FF can't crossover legally with FOX?

I wouldn't know exactly where to point you to find that information, but from what I understand, the contracts between Marvel and Fox say nothing about a crossover, therefore a crossover is out of the question unless Marvel says otherwise.
Keep in mind that Disney has access to some of the most powerful lawyers on the planet who could successfully exploit any loophole or fine print in the contract. At the very least I'm sure Fox has numerous trepidations about moving forward with said crossover because they know the potential ramifications of crossing Disney.
Plus, and I've said this before several times, I really see no reason for Fox to intermingle the two properties. The X-men have been chugging along just fine for about four years now and are arguably better than they have ever been. Why bring all that goodwill and forward momentum to a screeching halt because of some half-baked Avengers-wannabe crossover? No one outside of a few X-men loyalist's are really clamoring for that to begin with, and I doubt Fox will ever bring the X-men down to that level.

Where are the sources stating that X-Men and FF can't crossover legally with FOX?

The source is this board, not anyone actually in the know. Its based on the speculation on what the contract says or doesn't say. But we don't know what the contract says or doesn't say. So some are speculating it means they can't crossover.

Until a crossover film is announced for 2018 of course.

The source is this board, not anyone actually in the know. Its based on the speculation on what the contract says or doesn't say. But we don't know what the contract says or doesn't say. So some are speculating it means they can't crossover.

Until a crossover film is announced for 2018 of course.

No. There were specific statements from people in the know that have been linked and discussed to death on this forum. I don't care enough to go looking for them or get into it again, but they're here.

So what's the deal with Namor?

I wish they could get him in this series if it went forward( trade him for SS/Galactus).

I wish they could get him in this series if it went forward( trade him for SS/Galactus).

I disagree. Namor works better as an Avengers villain who'd also be shown in flashbacks to be friends with Captain America before redeeming himself and joining the Avengers.

If he becomes part of the FF-verse, he'll make the sequel some sort of romance flick between him and Sue. I like my FF as a sci-fi series, not a tale of marital infidelity.

And Galactus works better with the FF since I prefer many of his stories with the FF than I do with the GOTG.

The stuff that Fox should trade to Disney should be, the Star Wars episode 4 distribution rights, exclusive rights to the Badoon and Brood since Fox was never going to use either anyway, shared rights to the Shi'Ar since Marvel wants those, the rights to refer to Typhoid and Whirlwind as mutants in the MCU, Fox's cut of merch profits for the FF and X-Men movies and the distribution rights to the failed Daredevil and Elektra films.

All that Fox should get in return are the rights to cross over the X-Men with the FF and the live action TV rights to the X-Men for every single thing listed above. Marvel spent over half a decade getting the rights to Namor back and they still lack the rights to use him in video games, they should NEVER trade him. The Avengers lack Spider-Man as is, they don't need to lose another important Avenger. There is nothing that Fox could offer outside of the X-Men rights in entirety that would be worth trading Namor for.

Namor launched Marvel back in 1939. He's the foundation for the entire Marvel U. Trading Namor would be like DC selling Superman.

Namor is complicated. Marvel owns his productions rights, but Universal has his distribution rights. It's the same with The Hulk.

This is why we haven't gotten a new Hulk movie since TIH.

Namor is complicated. Marvel owns his productions rights, but Universal has his distribution rights. It's the same with The Hulk.

This is why we haven't gotten a new Hulk movie since TIH.

And Marvel did work on getting Namor back. My guess is that Hulk and Namor will have reverted completely by Phase 4.

This is also getting off topic since we're not mentioning the FF here and talking about Namor who Fox will never, ever attain. Most of these rights are on a 10-year timer and Marvel will gain the rights to Hulk and Namor back come 2018.

Yeah, Fox only lost the DD rights because they screwed up, and/or were screwed by the director leaving at the last minute.

They lost the rights because, like FF, it was a franchise they didn't care about (they only care about X-Men), and they tried to slap a film together at the last minute to retain the rights. However, behind the scenes issues with the director (due to the VERY rushed production schedule), he left, and Marvel left them with the ultimatum of letting the rights go, or giving them the Silver Surfer and Galactus rights in exchange for am extension.

They chose the former.

They lost the rights because, like FF, it was a franchise they didn't care about (they only care about X-Men), and they tried to slap a film together at the last minute to retain the rights. However, behind the scenes issues with the director (due to the VERY rushed production schedule), he left, and Marvel left them with the ultimatum of letting the rights go, or giving them the Silver Surfer and Galactus rights in exchange for am extension.

They chose the former.

Guess Trank decided to play ball and it took a toll on him.

I disagree. Namor works better as an Avengers villain who'd also be shown in flashbacks to be friends with Captain America before redeeming himself and joining the Avengers.

If he becomes part of the FF-verse, he'll make the sequel some sort of romance flick between him and Sue. I like my FF as a sci-fi series, not a tale of marital infidelity.

And Galactus works better with the FF since I prefer many of his stories with the FF than I do with the GOTG.

I kind of see Namor in FF as a Stargate movie. Yeah, there's romance, but Reed and Sue should start to get together in a sequel. At the end of the day, it's still about an ancient society threatening Earth.

Galactus and Surfer just work better with the tone GOTG has than what Fox's 4 is going for. Ego the Living Planet would be perfect for this sci-fi tone Trank has set.

I kind of see Namor in FF as a Stargate movie. Yeah, there's romance, but Reed and Sue should start to get together in a sequel. At the end of the day, it's still about an ancient society threatening Earth.

Galactus and Surfer just work better with the tone GOTG has than what Fox's 4 is going for. Ego the Living Planet would be perfect for this sci-fi tone Trank has set.

Ego works better with the Guardians than Galactus. because Ego works better when played for laughs as comic relief. I doubt that Fox would want Ego and they won't trade Galactus for him. Galactus is too important to the FF and I don't want to see Ego played seriously.

And if Marvel will presumably get full rights to Namor back in three years, they aren't going to be in a rush to trade the character that they built their entire empire on. The only issue with the rights as they are is that Fox is sitting on a lot of cosmic stuff that they will never use. Fox will never use the Badoon. Fox will never use the Brood. Marvel and Fox could both presumably use the Shi'Ar and a deal to split the Shi'Ar rights the same way that Quicksilver is would work in Marvel's favor since Fox can't do War of Kings, Fox can't do Galactic Storm and Fox can't do Darkhawk. Marvel doesn't really need Galactus to build the Guardians and Inhmans properties and they'd gain very little from them but they could really profit from the Badoon, Shi'Ar and Brood. Marvel should also possibly also share Uatu The Watcher or even work out a deal to gain him exclusively. Those are the cosmic rights that Marvel should work towards attaining, Galactus isn't nearly as valuable.

Last edited:
Guess Trank decided to play ball and it took a toll on him.

Well, in a addition to his vision being trash, they delayed production on this for 2 years (until the last minute) and had it rewritten multiple times, keeping him from doing any other projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"