Ratner hopes to direct "Young X-Men" Spin-Off

While "The Last Stand" marks the end of the X-Men trilogy — some beloved characters meet their demise in the battle against evil — director Brett Ratner says a new series spotlighting a different set of mutants is on the boards.
"And if they want me involved somehow, I'm there. This movie was like my dream come true."

That's the only point?

Lets make a list of mutants we think will be in it.......do you think they'll add some, or just concentrate on the ones they have?

Majik1387 said:
Not couldn't, didn't.

If Fox didn't want Cyclops in the picture, they wouldn't let Ratner film a scene like Xavier's.

Mike059jig said:
No ,No, No, All the X3 staff need to stay away from my precious x-men..ratner needs to stick is his Rush hour trilogy and music videos and stay away from x-men..all of sudden he a comic book freak...Kinberg and Penn need to move on as well and do something else that is not x-related...Get a fresh creative team to do the young x-men..

I second that. Please bring in Raimi, Zemeckis or Jackson for these films Fox. PLEASE! No more generic directors damn it!

thegameq said:
I second that. Please bring in Raimi, Zemeckis or Jackson for these films Fox. PLEASE! No more generic directors damn it!

Ya bring peter jackson he will be awesome although i think Brett is good too.
But if you want the best get the best dircector plain and simple.

antariksh said:
Ya bring peter jackson he will be awesome although i think Brett is good too.
But if you want the best get the best dircector plain and simple.

Fat chance considering Jackson and big money SFX go hand in hand. There's no way in hell freugal Fox is going to let a big time director make a comicbook film. The beancounters would all be on the set with their adding machines telling Jackson what he can and can't do.

PhoenixRising said:
I like Fox. Fox makes me feel warm inside. Rofl...... :D

No but seriously.

Fox did a fantastic job with X1 and X2, dont you remember those great movies? Just because they dropped the ball a little with X3 doesnt mean Fox sucks and hey X3 was still a great movie. You all turn your backs on the corporation who has brought you joy for 7 years. Shame on you all. :mad:

Fox isn't the problem. Rothman is the problem and needs to be fired. But knowing our luck someone worse than him would take his place.

Peter Jackson would make an excellent X-Men, however, he already has done two major masterpieces with LOTR and King Kong(IMO).

I'd love to see Ridley Scott or maybe David Fincher do an X-Men movie though.

Ratner remembers the "cure" plotline being part of the animated TV series

Was it? I dont remember...:)

StormCrazy said:

there was an episode called "The Cure"

i would love to see a "Young/Student X-Men" spinoff!!! i dunno if i would want Ratner to direct or not, but as long as the film focuses on the students. bigger roles for Rogue, Iceman, Collosus, Kitty, Angel, etc.

Well Rogue should be in this one getting her powers back or else i will be very pissed of

Why are some of you saying no...?????
SAY YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Sounds great.
I'd love to see Ratner's own X-Men movie, not unfinished work.

That tas episode was about mystique posing as a doctor and drawing the mutants to muir island and apocalypse pick 4 to be his horsemen rouge went but decided against the cure(may have been better)

fallenAngel said:
Ratner still retooled the ending considerably, and the ending was with out a doubt the worst part of the movie.

all things considered we could do a lot worse. But Jackman and Ratner seem to be in love with eachother so Ratner would more likely do Wolverine than the X kids movie.

I didn't like the endings of Beast, Mags, or Logan. Anyone know whose ideas they were to do those, because McKellan commented his was done weeks before release as a last minute change. I believe Beast's was a similar situation (going to the UN? come on now..), in that it was last minute to make things happier. And Logan has nothing else left for him at the mansion... he should be out of there.

When I first saw the film, those endings felt out of place, especially Mags and Beast, and I assumed it was the studio higher-ups deciding to make everything happy and sugar-coated for us (like Blade: Trinity's ending). Anybody know if that was the case?

StormCrazy said:

Yea, I downloaded it the week before the movie came out. Haven't watched it though... apparently (according to TV.com) the cure is developed by an adult Warren Worthington III, but Apocalypse has something to do with it as well, and he turns Warren to Archangel with it.

I hope future X-films (I pretty much see "Young X-Men" as X4) focus on Trask bringing in sentinels (realistic, not giant like the DR), a super-violent Pyro (tragic villian) with his own Brotherhood, and maybe a remanufacturing of the Cure, but only to see it be the Legacy Virus and kill all mutants who take it (that is the Legacy Virus, right? I don't read the comics).

Drago said:
I didn't like the endings of Beast, Mags, or Logan. Anyone know whose ideas they were to do those, because McKellan commented his was done weeks before release as a last minute change. I believe Beast's was a similar situation (going to the UN? come on now..), in that it was last minute to make things happier. And Logan has nothing else left for him at the mansion... he should be out of there.

When I first saw the film, those endings felt out of place, especially Mags and Beast, and I assumed it was the studio higher-ups deciding to make everything happy and sugar-coated for us (like Blade: Trinity's ending). Anybody know if that was the case?

I agree, it didn't flow with what we had just seen on Alcatraz. Even though judging by the bridge beeing rebuilt it was a little while after.

Wolverines "way to go furball" makes me cringe.

the whole ending, including the final battle for the most part just kind of sucked imo.

Gilpesh said:
That said, I would like to see someone other than Ratner (not Singer either) take Young X-Men and have FOX let the movie be made the way it should be, not as a vendetta against another director.

I would love that too- the only problem though is FOX won't give a lot of creative freedom to someone directing their first X-Men film- I get the impression from the editing and the last minute retooled endings for Beast, Logan, and Mags, that the studio didn't give him the freedom Singer had with X2. That freedom will only be for returning X-directors who had proven to the studio they have an idea what they are doing.

If I need to choose between Singer and Ratner, I may have to go with Ratner. I don't think the dramatic scenes were done poorly in X3, and I think Ratner gave X3 a much larger feel than X1 or X2- the first two focused strictly on Xavier and Magneto's teams- we didn't see anything of the outside world, making it seem smaller in scale. In X3 the Cure was clearly a national, if not international problem, and 3rd parties like the army/government were brought in. I think Ratner would do fine- he would have more creative control and less story restriction since he wouldn't be finishing somebody else's trilogy.

Advanced Dark said:
Retooled the ending? Give me a break. He added a 10 second clip that showed nothing and just a Patrick Stewart voice over and it was run after the credits. That means Ratner sucks? Give me a break.

no but his add pacing does suck and it will suck even more when he actually has to rely more on story, which he would, starting a new storyline

Mar420x said:
Ratner remembers the "cure" plotline being part of the animated TV series :eek: i dont remember was it used in the animated series? i cant recall.
yes there was a cure plotline in the animated series, but it had to do with Apocolypse, and Rouge and Angel wanted the cure!!

No interest at all in seeing anything further with this franchise until Cyclops is brought back.

fallenAngel said:
Wolverines "way to go furball" makes me cringe.

Don't remind me.

I think this X-film has some very good lines of dialogue (for example the comments at Beast's resignation that I won't shut up about, cyclops "not everybody heals as fast as you" line, and a few others), but then some really pathetic ones: Logan's "furball" line at the end is horrible, as is his "diplomat" joke during the final fight. And how random was it that Kitty is all sad about losing Xavier, who she looked at as a father, and she just looks up and goes "I just miss the first snow"- your honestly telling me that they couldn't have extended that conversation by 20 seconds or so to say she's now missing the things that made her feel at home, have her give some examples and throw the "first snow" line in there? that was just poorly done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"