• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Red Sparrow (Jennifer Lawrence)

https://entertainment.mb.com.ph/2018/02/15/movie-review-fallen-ballerina-flies-higher-as-seductress/

Red Sparrow, is, for one thing, unapologetically sexy. It sports a hard R-16 rating, something that the director thought was important to keep. Morality and sexuality are a large part of the story, and so the decision was made to keep not shy away from it but to accept it and use it to further the plot. As a result there is a lot of skin being thrown around in the movie (in more ways than one, you’ll see),and things get hot and steamy very often, very fast.

Jennifer Lawrence’s character engages many acts that would make Mata Hari blush, and Lawrence herself faces the challenge head-on, giving a strength and vulnerability to the fallen ballerina turned seductress. The scenes are raw and disconcerting to say the least, but done in such a way so as to not feel gratuitous. And while we can assume The Black Widow too would use her feminine wiles on a unsuspecting victim when necessary to complete her mission, you can be sure she’ll be doing it while dressed, and will be decidedly PG-13 about the whole thing.

Secondly, there are no gadgets more advanced than a cellular phone in the entire film. No orbital satellite watchdogs following anyone or hi-tech weapons concealed in a ball point pen. “Red Sparrow” is a more grounded spy film, more cerebral than spectacular. The emphasis is on trust, to whom do you give it, from whom should you expect it, and in either case, how is it manipulated for one’s own purposes.

Fresh from his turn as an Orc in Netflix’s hit original movie, “Bright,” Joel Edgerton joins Lawrence as Nate Nash, the CIA agent Dominika comes across. As is often the case with espionage films, you are never entirely sure whether one is playing the other, and that generates much tension and interest.

Sexy, smart and full of twists and turns that keep one guessing, “Red Sparrow” is thrilling spy film, and a welcome change from the usual blockbuster fare.

Have passes to see this tonight but couldn't make it with seeing Black Panther tonight among other things.

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/964547262289514496

david ehrlich
@davidehrlich

I was legit shocked at how good RED SPARROW is (where the s**t has *this* Francis Lawrence been hiding?) a delectably slow, incredibly violent, and sweet as hell spy movie for the current Cold War. audiences are gonna haaaaate it

Loool this should have said SEEDY as hell. The sexual power dynamics in this are Verhoeven-esque. your kids will love it.

https://entertainment.mb.com.ph/2018/02/15/movie-review-fallen-ballerina-flies-higher-as-seductress/

Red Sparrow, is, for one thing, unapologetically sexy. It sports a hard R-16 rating, something that the director thought was important to keep. Morality and sexuality are a large part of the story, and so the decision was made to keep not shy away from it but to accept it and use it to further the plot. As a result there is a lot of skin being thrown around in the movie (in more ways than one, you’ll see),and things get hot and steamy very often, very fast.

Jennifer Lawrence’s character engages many acts that would make Mata Hari blush, and Lawrence herself faces the challenge head-on, giving a strength and vulnerability to the fallen ballerina turned seductress. The scenes are raw and disconcerting to say the least, but done in such a way so as to not feel gratuitous. And while we can assume The Black Widow too would use her feminine wiles on a unsuspecting victim when necessary to complete her mission, you can be sure she’ll be doing it while dressed, and will be decidedly PG-13 about the whole thing.

Secondly, there are no gadgets more advanced than a cellular phone in the entire film. No orbital satellite watchdogs following anyone or hi-tech weapons concealed in a ball point pen. “Red Sparrow” is a more grounded spy film, more cerebral than spectacular. The emphasis is on trust, to whom do you give it, from whom should you expect it, and in either case, how is it manipulated for one’s own purposes.

Fresh from his turn as an Orc in Netflix’s hit original movie, “Bright,” Joel Edgerton joins Lawrence as Nate Nash, the CIA agent Dominika comes across. As is often the case with espionage films, you are never entirely sure whether one is playing the other, and that generates much tension and interest.

Sexy, smart and full of twists and turns that keep one guessing, “Red Sparrow” is thrilling spy film, and a welcome change from the usual blockbuster fare.

This just sounds so good.

Gotta figure out when I can get around to seeing this

It's next on my list after having seen Annihilation and before Tomb Raider.

Interesting. :) Wasn't expecting this to be any better than "decent enough but meh", something like Salt, but great to see all the positivity in the reviews.

Might be worth a theater viewing after all.

Jlaw is apparently consistently nekkid in it, so hey. Also there's a spy story of some kind.

Recently saw the trailer for this and it’s grabbed my interest. Could be a good role for J Law.

I am prob going to see this either tomorrow or saturday. Movie Pass!!!

I didn't realise this was already out!

I didn't realise this was already out!

Early screenings are tomorrow. There is one for me locally at 7:05. I get home from work about 5:30ish, so I can easily make that, LOL

Early screenings are tomorrow. There is one for me locally at 7:05. I get home from work about 5:30ish, so I can easily make that, LOL

Cool. I'll have to see if any weekend times fit for me.

^ Well I'm definitely going to catch it in theaters now, and then again when it comes out on disc when I can freeze-frame it. ;) I suppose it's a bonus when the movie is actually good too.

JLaw naked is a definite theater experience.

I just wish it was the 70's.

Nothing beats a good Welcome Mat.

So, for some the only interesting thing about this movie is Jlaw being nude, one might say that is sexist and degrading toward the actress as you appreciate her only for her body regardless of her talent or the quality of the movie.
Fascinating considering the outrage occurring in Hollywood and social media about the view on women.

Last edited:
We're not that powerful. :o

Sexist and degrading? I guess you're not a heterosexual man who appreciates the female form, then—and for those of us who are, what's wrong with that? I'm a fan of good movies too, and it's been a while since the last time there was a good spy thriller.

For those who credit such things, it’s hit rotten territory on RT.

If the first part is true, who cares about story? :hmr:

JLaw naked is a definite theater experience.

I just wish it was the 70's.

Nothing beats a good Welcome Mat.

Jlaw is apparently consistently nekkid in it, so hey. Also there's a spy story of some kind.

Sexist and degrading? I guess you're not a heterosexual man who appreciates the female form, then—and for those of us who are, what's wrong with that? I'm a fan of good movies too, and it's been a while since the last time there was a good spy thriller.

You were saying ?

Don't guess about what I am :) I just find this posts funny, in a way, in regard of the current news.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"