Remember When ESPN Reported on Sports

speaking os sorts reporting if this qualifies, why is the herd, a call in show about PRO sports from espn RADIO being simulcast on espnu the college sports network wouldn't espn or espn2 be more apropriate to air the herd?

The Herd is awful. The local station picked up a few weeks ago from 10-1. Cannot listen to that show - or any ESPN radio show for that matter.

I know it is wrong, but I would watch Rachel Nichols talk about paint drying.:csad:

She's all yours.

I'd do the same with Erin Andrews. Who wouldn't?

Molly Qerim FTW :heart:

I turned on the tube this morning..and ESPN is covering a damn spelling bee

:facepalm

My reaction exactly. Same applies when they broadcast 4 straight hours of poker, bowling, and billiards.

Not for me. I can barely watch a baseball game in its entirety, so billiards is out of the question.

So ESPNFavre is slowly turning into ESPNLebron.

Molly Qerim FTW :heart:

I turned on the tube this morning..and ESPN is covering a damn spelling bee

:facepalm

but they've been covering it for years now....they covered it when I was a kid and I think its a big thrill for the kids that ESPN is there....one kid practically fainted when Erin Andrews was talking to him

Did anyone else see the atrocity that was the Jonas Brothers taking over Sportscenter this morning? I've lost all hope for ESPN.

Did anyone else see the atrocity that was the Jonas Brothers taking over Sportscenter this morning? I've lost all hope for ESPN.

Nope, didn't see that. That sucks.

I think ESPN still reports on sports, but more towards bigger markets and superstars. Which is ******** in a way.

ESPN does stupid, moronic things ever so often, but I'd still watch it over Fox Sports or CNN/SI, hands down. However, I got my news from the 'net mostly anyway, and if I do watch I like to check out ESPNews over regular ESPN.

ESPN is turning into WWE

ESPN in its current state is the sports equivalent to MTV right now (in my estimation at least). Both started off as niche cable channels in the late 1970s-early 1980s. As the years went on, and they got more and more cultural power or influence, they slowly started to drift away from their initial fundation. Thus, MTV shifted from musical centric programming/videos to a streamline of game shows (a la Remote Control and Singled Out), animation (a la Beavis & Butt-head, which I'm admittedly, a fan off andDaria), and most signficant, faux reality shows like The Hills and The Real World.

ESPN initally, showed stuff that ABC, CBS and NBC typically didn't air at the time (and for 24/7 mind you). They also of course, had SportsCenter to keep you in tuned to daily highlights. But now, ESPN considers themselves beyond simply presenting highlights. Now, they want to be in tuned with popular culture (hence all of the segments on SportsCenter now like the Budweiser Hot Set for instance or the "Who's Now" tournament), by bluring the lines between actual sports journalism and tabloids. It especially got bad once folks like Disney and Mark Shaprio got involved by the late '90s-early 2000s.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/62719

By JOHN OURAND
Staff writer

Published June 08, 2009 : Page 01
George Bodenheimer will continue guiding the "Worldwide Leader in Sports" for
the next few years.

The 28-year ESPN employee who is one of the most powerful executives in all of
sports quietly renewed his agreement with the Walt Disney Co., inking a
three-year extension last fall that will keep him presiding over ESPN through
most of 2011, according to several sources.

ESPN spokesman Chris LaPlaca confirmed Bodenheimer extended his agreement months
ago, but would not elaborate on the terms or details.

It is not a surprise that Bodenheimer signed a deal to remain co-chairman of
Disney Media Networks and president of ESPN Inc. and ABC Sports. The well-liked
executive has led ESPN since 1998, during which time the company has experienced
exponential growth and has become by far the most profitable division of the
Walt Disney Co.

Still, in the months preceding the renewal, there had been rumors that top
executives at Disney were looking to promote Bodenheimer to a position that
would move him away from day-to-day oversight and into more of a corporate role.

Obviously, those rumors proved to be unfounded, as Bodenheimer signed his new
deal in October, coinciding with the end of Disney's fiscal year.

The story of Bodenheimer's rise from ESPN's mail room to its corner office is
widely known. Bodenheimer is believed to be happy at ESPN and in no hurry to
move up the corporate ladder.

At the Sports Business Awards in New York City late last month, NBC Universal
Sports & Olympics Chairman Dick Ebersol said of Bodenheimer, "He is probably in
the history of American sports the most powerful man who has ever existed. He
sits on an awful lot of power and an awful lot of money, but he does it with
great grace."

Since signing the extension, Bodenheimer directed ESPN to a market-moving $495
million deal to bring the entire BCS to cable for the first time through 2014.
He also oversaw a significant deal that gained ESPNU and ESPN360 carriage on
Comcast systems.

Bodenheimer was inducted into cable's Hall of Fame in November.

The news hasn't been all positive, though. Just last month, ESPN laid off about
100 of its employees, and Bodenheimer said the company would leave an additional
100 open positions unfilled.

ESPN has some interesting stuff from time to time. I only watch ESPN during the NFL and NBA season honestly.

At least ESPN is a lot better than TNT when it comes to talking about basketball. But to be quite honest I haven't really noticed a huge change in ESPN and their quality. Is it that drastic of a difference now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"