Robert Downey Jr. Eying Lead Role in Vertigo Remake

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
Robert Downey Jr. Eying Lead Role in Vertigo Remake

Paramount Pictures is planning to remake Alfred Hitchcock’s 1958 thriller Vertigo, and acclaimed actor Robert Downey Jr. is reportedly eying the lead role.

[COLOR=var(--xe--block-container--link--color)]Variety[/COLOR] is reporting that the remake will be written by Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight, who was also [COLOR=var(--xe--block-container--link--color)]just revealed to be writing a secret Star Wars movie[/COLOR]. Other movies Knight has written include 2018’s The Girl in the Spider’s Web and 2021’s Spencer.

The film is being produced by Downey Jr. and his wife Susan Downey through their Team Downey production banner, meaning the Marvel Cinematic Universe alum could end up both starring in and producing the remake. John Davis and John Fox are also set to produce through Davis Entertainment.

:hmm

Common reaction seems to be — No! You can’t/shouldn’t remake a cinema classic. (Vertigo is often cited as one of the best movies of all time. And until recently, it was the best according to the BFI.) But among the general public, I’m not sure if Vertigo has the same sacrosanct status as, say, Citizen Kane or Casablanca. So a remake may be less risky in that regard. Not to say it’ll be any good. Psycho and Rear Window were remade… with dubious results.

It’s interesting. It was a bomb both financially and critically when it was originally released. But became so revered as the years passed.

I actually think this could be updated well. And while I think people know the title, they might not necessarily know the film itself as they would The Godfather or Psycho. So it could actually help get more eyes on the original from regular folks.

I hope RDJ can find some success outside of the MCU.

I saw the headlines for this and went like
tumblr_mfas1hwhPn1ri27eoo1_500.gif

Leave cinematic classics alone.

RDJ is more talented than anyone involved in that film lol
The actors are of little importance compared to the director/writer. And Steven Knight's last directorial feature was horrendous, even with a stellar cast.

Regardless, such classic movies are classics for a reason and should be left alone. Vertigo is up there with Citizen Kane and Godfather in lists of best films (BFI ranked it #1 of all time). I sincerely doubt it's going to draw any new crowd. It's very well known to the ones who love cinema of all decades. The only people who might not know it are people who don't watch oldies, so they are not going to bother either way.

The actors are of little importance compared to the director/writer. And Steven Knight's last directorial feature was horrendous, even with a stellar cast.

Regardless, such classic movies are classics for a reason and should be left alone. Vertigo is up there with Citizen Kane and Godfather in lists of best films (BFI ranked it #1 of all time). I sincerely doubt it's going to draw any new crowd. It's very well known to the ones who love cinema of all decades. The only people who might not know it are people who don't watch oldies, so they are not going to bother either way.

I don’t necessarily agree that it won’t draw in new viewers to the original, as I think the one benefit of remakes is that it *does* shine a light on something regular people might not be as aware of, and younger folks proceed to check it out.

But you’re right in that 9/10 these things don’t work. And I’m not saying it will. But RDJ does get heavily involved in the script - as witnessed by throwing the Iron Man script against a wall and improvising new dialogue. Of course, for every Iron Man, there is a Dolittle.

The right filmmaker and him together might steer this to something new and interesting to say. I’m not saying it will, but his involvement has more of a chance for quality than say, Armie Hammer in Rebecca.

I mean I'm not against remakes. There are always the likes of classic films like Ben-Hur, Scarface, Some Like it Hot or The Thing that are based on previous features. But there is a point when there's a film with a good idea and elements, yet with room for improvement. You can't remake the likes of Godfather, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Casablanca or Vertigo. And no one can match Hitchcock in terms of direction, especially with one of his most iconic entries. I'm not saying it's going to be awful but I just can't see such cases as anything other than a cash grab at this point.

Love the original .
If it goes forward Anya Taylor Joy has got to be Madeleine .
She's got that 1950s glamor vibe and wouldn't seem all that out of place in a 1950s and 1960s era Hitchcock film.

73rd+Primetime+Emmy+Awards+Creative+Perspective+SoGjdSTG5gXx.jpg

cb85a9036eb53b7c234568251d19e01b.jpg

If you’ve gotta do it at all, you’ve gotta do the full Gus Van Sant. Don’t pretend you’re really creating anything or adding to the legacy. Just do a weird little art project.

I kind of disagree about not doing remakes of classic movies. The originals are always going to be there. It doesn’t matter how good or bad the remake is, it will never take anything away from the original. Like it’s been mentioned before, Ben-Hur has been remade multiple times. The 2016 version was not the greatest, but it doesn’t take anything away from the classic 1959 version (which itself is a remake).

I've never been a huge Vertigo fan. It's always been one of least favorite Hitchcock films. Still not the biggest fan of remaking it, but I can't pretend I'm not slightly curious. RDJ wouldn't be my go to choice.

Last edited:
I mean, he's a director with a vast filmography. Many of his films are obsolete and he has quite a few stinkers with interesting premise that you can certainly improve upon, especially late in his career. You can remake those. Absolutely no reason to touch the classics, besides money and a lack of ideas and risk taking.

But whatever. Yes it won't affect the original in a negative way and it's not even amongst my favourite of his. It's just my general disdain in this type of thinking in Hollywood. :shrug:
What about Hitchcock remaking himself?
Only Hitchcock can remake Hitchcock successfully! :o

Steven Knight's Great Expectations started today, a show that he's writing and producing, and seems like another critical bomb. I have even less faith in him delivering an adequate Hitchcock remake now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"