• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Robert Downey Jr.- Greatest Comeback in Film History?

Poeman

Avenger
Reaction score
Just scroll down and look at all the stuff this guy has gone through..alot of bad things
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000375/bio

Who else here along with me thought this guy's career was done for after the whole drug and alcohol abuse jail time?

he is a amazing actor and look what he has done since his come back

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was a good movie
Good Night, Good Luck was oscar contender material
A Scanner Darkly was a brilliant over looked film with great acting
Zodiac was a amazing film that brought speculation of oscar nod for supporting actor

and now he is the Iron Man which will be a massive hit and playing a black guy in Tropic Thunder which also will take over august when summer movie begin to die down

Talk about getting some great roles and getting the film career and life in general back together on track

here's to Robert Downey Jr.! :word:

then
robert_downey_jr.jpg

downy.jpg

and NOW
Esquire%20March%202007.jpg

iron_man_tony_stark_robert_downey_jr.jpg

Certainly one hell of a comback. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was one of my faves of that year.

Well, Downey saw both rises and falls, and still he is in the business.

From supporting roles in 80s teen movies to Chaplin, which gave him first Oscar nomination

From glory to drugs and alcohol

From numerous arrests to amazing come back

Wow, looks like there is nothing what Downey haven't met. But after Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which was an excellent comedy thriller, he returned and re-started his career from a zero.

i like how he can play funny and serious.
he can be in a comedy and he can be in a serious movie.

This is definitely a great comeback for him, especially his "Iron Man" role.

Great story. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was brilliant.

WRONG!

The greatest comeback in film history was when Marlon Brando rose from the freaking GRAVE to reprise his role as Jor-El in Superman Returns. That makes Robert Downey, Jr.'s troubles look like a walk in the park by comparison.

WRONG!

The greatest comeback in film history was when Marlon Brando rose from the freaking GRAVE to reprise his role as Jor-El in Superman Returns. That makes Robert Downey, Jr.'s troubles look like a walk in the park by comparison.

Hardly...lol He shot that for Superman II. I know this is probably a joke.

Yeah I'm happy for him, he's a great actor and has been taking some great roles lately and is very lucky (and so are we) that his career is back on track. Kudos to Mr. Downey Jr. :up:

Don't forget about Charlie Bartlett!! People need to see this movie, it's just great!

yeah, he's had one hell of a comeback. I can't wait for Iron Man to come out. I haven't seen Chaplin but I want to now.

If it's not the greatest comeback in film history, it's pretty damned close.

Agree with Iron Stark.

Hard to say who has the "greatest" comeback overall but he's definetly up there. I'm only a casual John Travolta fan but he also had a pretty big comeback when he starred in Pulp Fiction and Get Shorty.

Funny that you started this thread, because I was JUST thinking this today after watching the Tropic Thunder trailer. I was going through his list of recent films, naming all the ones you did, and thought "damn... he's made an incredible comeback."

Best comeback ever? Probably.

Agree with Iron Stark.

Hard to say who has the "greatest" comeback overall but he's definetly up there. I'm only a casual John Travolta fan but he also had a pretty big comeback when he starred in Pulp Fiction and Get Shorty.

only to fall back in "look who's talking" mode

Its impressive to say the least however I'd like you all to remember ol'Blue Eyes with From here to Eternity where he worked for NOTHING to get the role and came out with an oscar.

Its impressive to say the least however I'd like you all to remember ol'Blue Eyes with From here to Eternity where he worked for NOTHING to get the role and came out with an oscar.

Damn straight. His resurrection of his music career was just as impressive if not more.

But yes, in recent memory, Downey's really picked himself up and earned some solid roles.

Sinatra in that Pearl Harbor film....he won n oscar n it was a huge hit

Downey's got screen presence, which cannot be acted. Another big help for him was that he sort of faded away for a while. Britney, Lindsey, and others need to learn to go away before they come back.

Sinatra in that Pearl Harbor film....he won n oscar n it was a huge hit

Indeed. He also completely reignited his music career and became even bigger than he was less than 10 years previously.

I'd say one of the greatest combacks. The guys has done well in the past few years. Great actor.

I still yet to she see Zodiac...my sister stole it...:cmad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"