Robin's original costume

OP84CC82

Civilian
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has done a thread on this before, but I'm not going to take up any time trying to find one if there is. So yeah, Robin's original costume, and yes, I am talking about the one with the undies, what do you think about it from a more adult perspective? I dislike the original costume, but mainly because of the silly looking collar, yellow cape, and the flared jacket. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this (artwork done by z-nao-factor on DeviantArt: http://z-nao-factor.deviantart.com/):

robin_by_z_nao_factor-d3l7tfv.jpg

done in the comics or live-action if the undies were preferred by the writer, artist, filmmaker, etc. But I don't really understand the undies in the first place. What was the point of Robin showing off his legs? I dunno. You tell me.

I like Alex Ross's update of that original costume the most:
nightwing1506-1.jpg

But I don't really understand the undies in the first place. What was the point of Robin showing off his legs? I dunno. You tell me.

It emphasised he was a kid.

How? 8-12 year olds don't run around in briefs.

The design was created in the more innocent time of the 30's. An adult definately wouldn't have run around dressed like that...but a naive kid would. It emphasized the lightness of the character. It was still the time of male children wearing shorts or shorter pants than the adults males. Being allowed to wear long adult pants were a right of passage.

There were many things done by the comics in the 30's and 40's that just don't look right today. That's how time changes.

The changes in the Robin costume over the decades prove that point about how different the 30's and 40's were. My favorite Robin costume is the Arkham City one. It's the first one that makes Robin look intimidating in my opinion.

I'm not really a fan of the original costume. It looks too goofy IMO.

My favorite Robin suit is a tie between Dick Grayson's and Tim Drake's (Young Justice).

Lee, Im glad you answered this question in a rather intelligent, polite way. I read the initial post and almost suspected Troll. lol

Lee, Im glad you answered this question in a rather intelligent, polite way. I read the initial post and almost suspected Troll. lol
How? I wasn't trying to be a "troll" in anyway whatsoever and as such, I actually take your post as an insult.

Thanks...I hope my upcoming response to him doesn't change your mind about me too mush.

How? I wasn't trying to be a "troll" in anyway whatsoever and as such, I actually take your post as an insult.

Then I guess I have insulted you too. You may not have been "trying" to sound trollish....but you did to me also.

You started the thread with - I'm not sure if anyone has done a thread on this before, but I'm not going to take up any time trying to find one if there is. There may have been an indepth very intelligent respectful thread about the subject....but you didn't care to even look just so that you could post your complaint. Not the sign of someone seriously looking for an answer or an intelligent discussion.

Then you repeatedly referred to his trunks as "undies". Referring to something to be discussed about a strong male character with a word that generally refers to a feminine/childish/weakish object sets a tone of disrespect.

It's also interesting that in The Batsuit Master Thread you comment on Robin's original costume by saying - I don't understand why a pre-teen or teenager would be running around in green underwear though. You'd see a bulge and the kid'd be embarrassed. - and you then post a link to a picture of a Robin costume you do like....which is him in the swimming trunks showing his legs and the drawing shows a distinctive bulge. You contradict yourself.

Let's not forget the fact that you seem to have ignored the whole idea that the character was invented in a time when people did not obsess over the sexuality of comic book characters and no character had a bulge to begin with. It was a time that almost all characters received a kid sidekick that dressed and acted goofier than the adult character...but no one concerned themselves with bulges or showing their legs. And, you chose to bypass my calm answer to your question, not acknowledging it at all, so that you can complain about the post of someone else.

So....you can see, while it is possible you may not have meant for your post to sound troll like....to me, and apparently others, it did.

Thanks...I hope my upcoming response to him doesn't change your mind about me too mush.

Then I guess I have insulted you too. You may not have been "trying" to sound trollish....but you did to me also.

You started the thread with - I'm not sure if anyone has done a thread on this before, but I'm not going to take up any time trying to find one if there is. There may have been an indepth very intelligent respectful thread about the subject....but you didn't care to even look just so that you could post your complaint. Not the sign of someone seriously looking for an answer or an intelligent discussion.

Then you repeatedly referred to his trunks as "undies". Referring to something to be discussed about a strong male character with a word that generally refers to a feminine/childish/weakish object sets a tone of disrespect.

It's also interesting that in The Batsuit Master Thread you comment on Robin's original costume by saying - I don't understand why a pre-teen or teenager would be running around in green underwear though. You'd see a bulge and the kid'd be embarrassed. - and you then post a link to a picture of a Robin costume you do like....which is him in the swimming trunks showing his legs and the drawing shows a distinctive bulge. You contradict yourself.

Let's not forget the fact that you seem to have ignored the whole idea that the character was invented in a time when people did not obsess over the sexuality of comic book characters and no character had a bulge to begin with. It was a time that almost all characters received a kid sidekick that dressed and acted goofier than the adult character...but no one concerned themselves with bulges or showing their legs. And, you chose to bypass my calm answer to your question, not acknowledging it at all, so that you can complain about the post of someone else.

So....you can see, while it is possible you may not have meant for your post to sound troll like....to me, and apparently others, it did.
I just didn't plan on taking time out of my own day when I have an entire summer to enjoy after getting out of school just to look for an article that talks about the costume. I think you may've taken my usage of "undies" out of context. I use the term "undies" as a shorter version/alternative to the word underwear/underpants. I didn't mean any disrespect by that. I posted that design as an alternative to people who like the underpants version of the costume, but might not like the more outlandish parts of the original such as the tunic and pixie shoes. And the "bulge" thing was me referring to the costume being presented in live-action which it'd be hard to do considering the actor couldn't be able to wear any under clothes. I don't hate the original costume or the briefs, I just don't see the logic in him wearing underwear when the suit is supposedly bulletproof (at least by modern standards). The only parts of the original costume I don't actually like are the tunic, the collar and completely yellow cape, and "pixie shoes". I apologize if I sounded like a troll. I should've elaborated more on why I didn't choose to look for another article, and the other topics you've mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"