What do you think of the new Superman costume

Anton Furst

Civilian
Reaction score
Hi there,

I just got out of hospital and was shocked to learn DC has set all their comics to #1 without actually rebooting them.:whatever:

Anyway, I was wondering what everyone else thought about the new Superman costume.

Personally, I like the fact that DC removed the underpants, but I'm not too keen on the high collar and red belt. I would have preferred a yellow belt.

Also, can I just ask, is the yellow shield still on his cape?

Geez, what the hell put you in the hospital for nearly a year!

Anyway, I'm not too fond of the new costume, I 'd prefer on that looks like the MOS or Earth-2 costumes, especially since the DCnU Superman was originally supposed to have the DCnU-2 Superman 's belt, as seen in the first Jim Lee art.

If you pick up the latest issue of JL you see the old costume with some of the new costumes features. It was done by mistake but it still looks good.

Hi there,

I just got out of hospital and was shocked to learn DC has set all their comics to #1 without actually rebooting them.:whatever:
Actually they did. Asides from Batman and Green Lantern, everything has been rebooted.

Anyway, I was wondering what everyone else thought about the new Superman costume.
Terrible

Personally, I like the fact that DC removed the underpants, but I'm not too keen on the high collar and red belt. I would have preferred a yellow belt.
I hate that they got rid of the underpants. It makes the suit far too monochromatic and boring.

Also, can I just ask, is the yellow shield still on his cape?
It's black and red now.

Also, this is how he puts on the suit now:

sm7-201uc4.jpg

Sad thing is, that issue was probably the best the main Superman title's had since the reboot, and the whole suit transforming thing would work for someone like, say, Steel or anyone NOT Superman.

It's amazing just how much they fail to get it.

New costume is terrible, and the transformation thing is beyond stupid.

The words do not exist for how much they suck.

the suit is awful....and wow, that transformation is mind boggling stupid.

I'm not reading Superman at all but if that's how the costume functions, doesn't it render the concept of having seams pointless?

It doesn't look like a transformation per se. It looks like there is a base jumpsuit, and (starting with the crest) the suit "unfolds" from the base, almost like a snake skin molting in reverse. The material looks like it is intended to be pliable, stiff yet not entirely rigid.
I personally like the look of the uniform, and the Action Comics origin for it is interesting. All of this fits well with the Kryptonian technology feel they are going for.

I'm not turned off by it. They're trying to move the character in a new direction. I'm not sure what is so objectionable.

You know what was nice? When his mom made it for him. It was simple, easy to understand, and said a lot about the character.

This is none of those things.

You know what was nice? When his mom made it for him. It was simple, easy to understand, and said a lot about the character.

This is none of those things.

Not to mention that when Ma made it from the blankets Lara wrapped him in, it was like his birth mother and his adoptive mother had clothed him together. Very poignant. The whole wrapping the child in robes imagery, right from Herbrew gospels...very classic lit in a pulp adventure form, and part of how comics are modern mythology.

There's no warmth or humanity in "Kryptonian biotech".

Not to mention that when Ma made it from the blankets Lara wrapped him in, it was like his birth mother and his adoptive mother had clothed him together. Very poignant. The whole wrapping the child in robes imagery, right from Herbrew gospels...very classic lit in a pulp adventure form, and part of how comics are modern mythology.

A big problem with this costume change and the one in the upcoming movie is that it really misses the fact that his costume is a big part of his character. Even if you don't think it looks good, that it's too silly looking or something (and hey, if someone thinks that it's their right), and they would ask "why would he wear something like that?" well, the wander is "his mom made it for him, and that's the kind of guy he is."

A big problem with this costume change and the one in the upcoming movie is that it really misses the fact that his costume is a big part of his character. Even if you don't think it looks good, that it's too silly looking or something (and hey, if someone thinks that it's their right), and they would ask "why would he wear something like that?" well, the wander is "his mom made it for him, and that's the kind of guy he is."

That's why deconstruction is bad for a character like Superman. He is who he is.

That's why deconstruction is bad for a character like Superman. He is who he is.

I don't think deconstruction is ever a bad thing by itself in any context. It's a narrative tool, basically neutral. The thing is, this isn't deconstruction. Deconstruction is thoughtful, it requires intelligence and insight. This is just stupid.

I don't think deconstruction is ever a bad thing by itself in any context. It's a narrative tool, basically neutral. The thing is, this isn't deconstruction. Deconstruction is thoughtful, it requires intelligence and insight. This is just stupid.

It's meant to be deconstruction because they are taking apart the base ideas of Superman and presenting them in a supposedly more believable manner, it's just stupidly done. Deconstruction does not equal smart, it only has the pretense of being smart. That's why it's pretentious.

Not that there can't be smart deconstructions but there can be dumb ones too, and this is one of them.

You hit it on the head.

Don't like the costume, the work jeans and t-shirt look is pretty cool though.

Honestly, all this hate is starting to frustrate me. To me, the suit actually looks good when it's drawn well, but no matter what the artists and colorists do with it, it's still looked at as complete garbage, there's not even the slightest acknowledgement that it's improved. And to be honest, I now think it looks better than the new movie suit.

People complained and complained "How is he gonna fit the suit under his clothes now?" and they get their answer, and predictably it's met with hate and declared an awful idea, while the suit being made of baby blankets is praised to high heavens and said to be oh so symbolic. To me, that's an idea that would be scoffed at just as much as the new suit if it were introduced today.

Last edited:
Geez, what the hell put you in the hospital for nearly a year!

Anyway, I'm not too fond of the new costume, I 'd prefer on that looks like the MOS or Earth-2 costumes, especially since the DCnU Superman was originally supposed to have the DCnU-2 Superman 's belt, as seen in the first Jim Lee art.

I got hit by what people said was a drunk driver. Didn't even stop.

Is this the suit they'll be going for in the new film next year? It looks like it. I showed the pic to my mother and she didn't even recognize it as Superman - what with the dark lighting, dark colours, and rubber (or what ever its made from) and all...

Holy hell, well in that case, many happy returns! But this new suit is not what they are using for the new movie, Man of Steel will be sporting this suit:

pppppppppppppppppppppppl.jpg

Which I think is perfect for a modernisation and it uses my second favourite \S/ symbol.

Holy hell, well in that case, many happy returns! But this new suit is not what they are using for the new movie, Man of Steel will be sporting this suit:

pppppppppppppppppppppppl.jpg

Which I think is perfect for a modernisation and it uses my second favourite \S/ symbol.
You should have shown the full body shots from the leaked pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"