Rumor: Squirrel Girl and The New Warriors

There are supposed to be five other characters. Here are my guesses.

1 Darkhawk
2 Night Thrasher
3 America Chavez
4 Silhouette
5 Speedball

If there were room for one more character, I'd say Nova but I don't think that there's the budget plus he's a better fit with the Guardians.
Mm mm

It seems odd that they're doing only 1/2 hr live action episodes. Nice to differentiate it from other shows out there but all marvel shows should have some dramatic elements and this needs play out over the course of an hour in my opinion. Stagey comedy with few younger adults claiming the names of characters from a comic doesn't do the characters justice imo.

Anyway, I doubt these characters would be used in a movie anytime soon. I think a great team to introduce into the movies is Infinity Watch in my opinion. There's just too many other options at the moment it seems movie wise.

I'd rather have a series based on the Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. That's what made Doreen one of the 5 best characters at Marvel imho. This doesn't excite me in the least. Will give it a shot, but I'm not expecting much unfortunately.

If there were room for one more character, I'd say Nova but I don't think that there's the budget plus he's a better fit with the Guardians.
Mm mm

James Gunn has said repeatedly he's not using Nova so long as he's making the films.

James Gunn has said repeatedly he's not using Nova so long as he's making the films.

Weird, I thought that Sylvester Stallone was Richard. If not, then replace Darkhawk with Nova in my predictions.

I feel like Squirrel Girl is joining the team due to rights issues with Fox over Starfire. I also think that Namorita won't be part of the team until Namor himself appears. I guess that means that the team will need a second female character and I really think it's going to be America Chavez. Partially since Robbie Reyes is the only Hispanic superhero in the MCU and partially since she's a popular teenage superhero and partially since I don't think we'll see Kate Bishop until Hawkeye gets his own spin-off and Kate is really the only other option.

Now that I think about it why isn't this Great Lake Avenger? :p

My guess is the Avengers name is restricted to the cinematic MCU. The actual TV team may be more like the Great Lakes squad.

I really don't get most of the complaints about this. Especially "over saturation". Marvel has no intent of getting their fans to watch every single show regularly. They are wisely maintaining a diverse lineup of shows to appeal to broad demographic groups. But I guess so many people just want to think everything needs to specifically target them...

The one complaint that is valid is that we can add yet another potentially great show to the list of allegedly "connected" material that will never be acknowledged by the larger MCU.

It doesn't even matter to me at this point, I see the cinematic MCU as a different thing anyway, even if they are 'loosely' connected. The Netflix world is carving out its own space and I don't think being connected is something that most people obsess about, or even care about to be frank. Things have obviously changed behind the scenes and Feige no longer cares (or has to) about the TV side and Ike and his little cabal of Bendis, Fine and Quesada can shove their 'notes' where the sun don't shine. That severing of ties is way more important then giving a shout out to AoS..

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter. The driving force of the MCU will always be the films. The Infinity Stones story began and will end there. The shows are supplementary material. Really good material judging by the fact that Marvel has the best comic book shows on air but not essential.

Now that I think about it why isn't this Great Lake Avenger? :p

Most likely because they wanted a team of younger heroes since it's airing on a youth-oriented channel.

Or also because of budget. I agree with some posters earlier as should've just been a squirrel girl show but suppose they need to get the necessary attention...

Anyway, the "it's all connected" thing I never really bought into too much. Sure the films play off and reference each other but all too often they still feel disparate and separate (phase 2:some of the 3 act structure films with obligatory world at stake scenario playing out in various films and not all avengers appear just some examples).

TV shows do their own thing and riff off the shows for fun once in a while. If people need to feel a connection then the creator can just say sure keeping everyone happy while not being overly beholden to anyone. Kind of ridiculous to see this come up all the time. The answer the creators will of course say is that it is what you want it to be and perhaps add easter eggs for fans here and there to satisfy them while still doing own show.

So was that news about squirrel girl official? If so yay! I know Anna Kendrick was campaigning for it and she would be amazing but I would love to see an actress who's more chunky yet funky

Another reason they would not make a show called Great Lakes Avengers is marketing. You don't want casual fans to get confused.

I feel the "all the same" universe has been done really well so far. There are times when it feel like too much (Ant-Man vs Falcon) and times when it seems like too little (where was Fury during Civil War?)

Or also because of budget.

Aside from Big Bertha is there really anything about the GLA that would make them more expensive than the New Warriors?

Just give us a show about Doreen or Howard the Duck if you've decided to go the situational comedy route. Both of those would have the potential to become instant classics. This seems like a huge waste at the moment.

GLA have been legally required to change their name before, so they could easily make that "can't use Avengers name due to rights" thing into a joke. I think GLA would fit more with a somewhat older audience than they want for this show, given that they tend to have some dark humor thrown in, especially in the 2005 comic.

Last edited:
SirStrangefolk, I think GLA depends on the writer but mostly is accessible to all ages as I remember them having their own comic in the early 90's but admit I know very little about them. From what I know, I agree though that freeform perhaps is not best suited for this reason as well as marketing as NealKenneth stated above as additional reasons besides budget and aiming to draw in a wider audience of young crowd.

Aside from Big Bertha is there really anything about the GLA that would make them more expensive than the New Warriors?

I'm not really very knowledgeable about the GLA but can say I think New Warriors only difference is New Warriors (did read some of their comics) expectations are a bit lower not utilizing the Avengers name. That being said I don't think they'll be done justice in this show.

I think a squirrelgirl show by itself quality would be easier to hit with the compressed time slot and budgetary concerns as opposed to a whole team of New Warriors. That's why I think it'll be a group of teenagers maybe on a stage sort of doing a skit utilizing the comic character's names for a freeform audience. I guess positive thing is these characters very unlikely would've appeared on the big screen anyway.

There are other teams that still will appear on the big screen though I think; can't see this one appearing so it is what it is I suppose.

Weird, I thought that Sylvester Stallone was Richard. If not, then replace Darkhawk with Nova in my predictions.

I feel like Squirrel Girl is joining the team due to rights issues with Fox over Starfire. I also think that Namorita won't be part of the team until Namor himself appears. I guess that means that the team will need a second female character and I really think it's going to be America Chavez. Partially since Robbie Reyes is the only Hispanic superhero in the MCU and partially since she's a popular teenage superhero and partially since I don't think we'll see Kate Bishop until Hawkeye gets his own spin-off and Kate is really the only other option.

No confirmation on his character in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. It might not even be a major role.

That's why I think it'll be a group of teenagers maybe on a stage sort of doing a skit utilizing the comic character's names for a freeform audience.

Uh, what?

Uh, what?
Just my impression on what it could feel like watching the show. I'm sure they'll pace out the special effects and all to maintain budget but still one thinks of like stagey shows or sitcoms and I can only think they'll be using small sets (unless can just film outside somewhere as-is for some scenes) more often than not if need be. It's just so many components so I for one am not arguing that New Warriors is a budgetable concept for freeform as far as live action goes.

It would yield a fun movie I think but there are just other super teams out there that'll get first dibs as far as movie goes so on the positive front at least the New Warriors name'll be thrown out even if in a largely compromised state with so many characters with superpowers involved in each 1/2 hr show.

Last edited:
This isn't going to be a multicam sitcom, it'll be like most of Freeform's programming and be singlle cam and shot on sets/real locations.

Here's the perfect casting for Squirrel Girl:
CoBpLvbUsAAV4qJ.jpg

JK, I always thought Eden Sher would do a good job.

Mister Immortal is an odd choice given he's a Greant Lakes Avenger but interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"