New Warriors Series Ordered

Hypestyle

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...s-freeform-orders-marvels-new-warriors-991277

Ah, intriguing. There's no excuse for this not to be a multicultural team, with boys and girls. The producers can pick from various teen heroes and supporting characters throughout Marvel's history. From my POV, they might as well not just consider New Warriors, but also others like the Young Avengers characters. They can also de-age some "B-list" adult characters as well. (Let's face it, the entire Avengers roster is not making it to the films.)
Depending on how the producers decide to retcon the age/backstory of the various characters, it could set up some interesting relationships and storylines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_Warriors_members
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Avengers#Members
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/providence/lists/teen-heroes-villains-of-marvel/51127/

Clearly, Squirrel Girl is going to be part of this. It will be fun to see how they handle her fluffy tail. ::)
Who else? Based on the original members, Hmmm...

Night Thrasher: Team founder, no real powers, relatively "easy" to deal with the FX, accordingly. Good chance
Namorita: If included, I predict she'd be non-Caucasian. But there's the connection to Sub-mariner (and the entire Atlantis society), whose rights are complicated now. Slim chance.
Nova: Yeah, I know Rich Ryder just came back to the comics, but I doubt he would replace Sam Alexander in something like this. Plus, Marvel's space heroes are only just being explored now (Captain Marvel, GOTG). But who knows? 50/50
Speedball: cool powers, non-tragic backstory, but potentially too FX heavy (bouncing around at semi-random, etc.)? Hmm. 50/50
Firestar: Fox may claim her on mutant grounds-- or maybe she's a "shared" character, e.g., Wanda & Pietro. We'll see; maybe to cut down on FX she might be grounded instead of flying (for now); I'd love to see her, plus it makes for a marginal chance to eventually meet Spider-Man. 50/50
Justice: The producers have to change his mutant origins. But beyond that, the TK power shouldn't be too bizarre to depict on screen. good chance.

For human supporting characters, Rick Jones and his teen brigade could be brought in as a social media army, updating the old CB-radio bit. Might as well include Jim Wilson in this, he's not likely to be included in the movies. :D

Since this is to air on FreeForm, I suspect that filming may take place in Louisiana, like the upcoming Cloak & Dagger show. With that in mind, I'll be nuts enough to speculate that there's a possibility of including Spectrum- Monica Rambeau, here. She could be revisioned as a teen whose dad (or mom?) is a first responder with NOPD or Homeland Security/Coast Guard. Hmm.. :p

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-live-action-new-warriors-squirrel-girl-series/
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Marvel’s Live-Action New Warriors (with Squirrel Girl) Ordered to Series

Marvel’s Live-Action New Warriors (with Squirrel Girl) Ordered to Series

Freeform is becoming a go-to destination for Marvel Television. In addition to the “Cloak and Dagger” live-action series that is currently in production, the network has just ordered a live-action series based on “New Warriors” to series. As announced by The Hollywood Reporter, the series will also feature Squirrel Girl.

RELATED: REPORT: Squirrel Girl To Star in Marvel’s New Warriors TV Series

Unlike previous Marvel television series, “New Warriors” will be a half-hour comedy. Kevin Biegel (“Cougar Town”) is nearing a deal to write the pilot and serve as showrunner. THR notes that Biegel is a longtime Marvel — and specifically Squirrel Girl — fan. Freeform has already ordered a 10-episode first season. “New Warriors” comes from Marvel Television and ABC Studios’ cable division ABC Signature. Marvel’s head of TV Jeph Loeb will executive produce alongside Biegel and Jim Chory.

“Freeform’s mission is to deliver incredible content to young adults and Marvel Television seamlessly aligns with that mission — we couldn’t be more proud to collaborate with them on Marvel’s New Warriors,” said Karey Burke, exec vp programming and development at Freeform, in THR’s announcement.

THR’s report also includes an overall synopsis for the series, which highlights the show’s lighter, comedic tone.

‘New Warriors’ revolves around about six young people with powers living and working together. With powers and abilities on the opposite end of the spectrum of The Avengers, the New Warriors want to make a difference in the world … even if the world isn’t ready. With Freeform focused on a group dubbed “becomers” — those experiencing a series of firsts in life including first loves and first jobs — New Warriors explores the journey into adulthood, except in this world, they’re not quite super and not yet heroes and the guys can be as terrifying as bad dates.

The “New Warriors” show will mark the first major team-up between Squirrel Girl and the team. The Warriors — which includes such heroes as Night Thrasher, Speedball, Firestar, Namorita, Nova and Marvel Boy/Justice — debuted in late 1989’s “Thor” #411 before quickly landing their own ongoing series. Hailed as “heroes for the ’90s,” the original “New Warriors” series lasted 75 issues. The team has returned a number of times over the years, including for a more comedic take which positioned the team as reality TV stars in 2005.

Squirrel Girl similarly debuted in the early ’90s, in “Marvel Super-Heroes” #8. Created by Will Murray and Steve Ditko, Squirrel Girl most recently landed her own popular ongoing series — “Unbeatable Squirrel Girl” — which dialed up the hero’s optimism and comedic tone as she entered college and continued to earn the heroic adjective “unbeatable” in fights with major Marvel villains like Doctor Doom and Galactus.

Its going to be a 30 minute sitcom which has me cringing

I saw 30 minute comedy, and am like "nah".

This should be a lot of fun! I don't get why people are so close minded to new things. Everyone loves superhero comedy in the books, why should that not get a chance on TV? I saw someone suggest Shannon Purser from Stranger Things as Squirrel Girl, and I think that could be perfect!

5fc70c7411993c8b491f6e7d3ec334d7.jpg

It will be interesting to see who rounds out the team. Night Thrasher would make a good "straight man" to the hijinks.

This should be a lot of fun! I don't get why people are so close minded to new things. Everyone loves superhero comedy in the books, why should that not get a chance on TV?

No everyone doesnt. IMO, comedy books are my least favorite

From the description, it seems it will be more like Volume 3

cover-nwv3n6.jpg

and less like Volume 1

latest

Not a fan of the "sitcom" approach, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Never understood the appeal of Squirrel Girl though...

Squirrel Girl and the sitcom thing killed this for me

Mockumentary style would be fun. Especially if it starts of being a Morgan Spurlock production, and he gets killed off in the first episode. Gruesomely. Like a woken Chitauri wyrm bites his legs off and he bleeds to death screaming.

Not interes-- Oh, Kevin Biegel? Okay.

I'm listening.

I'll have to see what it looks like and who's in it to be sure, but as now I'm pretty iffy on it. Marvel doesn't have that many characters left who would be a big draw to me, and the only one I can think of who seems like she would fit is Kate Bishop. And really, I'd prefer to have Kate Bishop as her own property, or in Young Avengers if it needs to be a team thing.

I just can't imagine it not being terrible. I just hope they're overstating how much of a comedy it is. A laugh track would be unbearable.

Last edited:
I posted in another thread about this seeming stagey weeks back and can you believe someone asked what I meant by that? I thought I was in the minority thinking it seemed sitcom like after hearing about the half hour and being featured on freeform amongst other details like adding a newer character like Squirrel Girl (whom I think the show should've centered on so not became overly apparent the lack of special effects but oh well).

Don't get me wrong, I'll still perhaps give it a try. It's not like these characters would've gotten their chance on the big screen anyway so way to get the name out there I suppose...

I just can't imagine it not being terrible. I just hope they're overstating how much of a comedy it is. A laugh track would be unbearable.
Hopefully it's done like the librarian's with Noah [FONT=&quot]Reilly I'll give it chance. I have no problem with squrrel girl ether but I'd like it to be more lije books or what cloak and dagger may be doing that way it'll be easy for them to do cross overs since they were members too. but it's too early to say so I just wait for the show first.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

You know that not all TV comedies have laugh tracks, right?

You know that not all TV comedies have laugh tracks, right?
true dat . but I think he remembering he sater morning deal from show's like that's so raven ETC cause that how show show from family channels and free form was formly that channel. they still have some shows that still do that to a certain degree.

Jeff Sneider @TheInSneider
BREAKING: THIS IS US actress Milana Vayntrub to play Squirrel Girl in Marvel's NEW WARRIORS. Baby Daddy's Derek Theler to play Mr. Immortal.

Jeff Sneider @TheInSneider
BREAKING: THIS IS US actress Milana Vayntrub to play Squirrel Girl in Marvel's NEW WARRIORS. Baby Daddy's Derek Theler to play Mr. Immortal.

I remember her... she's that annoying Lily from those AT&T commercials...

images

I forgot this was happening. I wonder if Freeform will end up being the other platform for any MCU related programs that don't fit for Netflix. I mean, I'm guessing there's a reason both Runaways, Cloak and Dagger, AND now this are on Freeform instead of ABC. Then again, I don't see Agents of SHIELD working on Freeform compared to these shows.

I forgot this was happening. I wonder if Freeform will end up being the other platform for any MCU related programs that don't fit for Netflix. I mean, I'm guessing there's a reason both Runaways, Cloak and Dagger, AND now this are on Freeform instead of ABC. Then again, I don't see Agents of SHIELD working on Freeform compared to these shows.

Runaways, Cloak and Dagger and New Warriors... the common denominator is that all these characters are teenies... that's why you'll never see the adult grownups like the SHIELDers on Freeform...

Runaways is on Hulu.

Was just about correct myself, but yes, my mistake. FEELS like it would sit comfortably on Freeform, though.

It appears the actors have been cast:

Milana Vayntrub as Squirrel Girl
Derek Theler as Mister Immortal
Jeremy Tardy as Night Thrasher
Calum Worthy as Speedball
Matthew Moy as Microbe
Kate Comer as Debrii

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"