The Amazing Spider-Man Sam Raimi Plans To Start Shooting Spidey 4 In March

i just hope Raimi won't post any fight scenes online, like he did with the Peter/Harry fight

That might be the case though i doubt it since Pope and Spisak appear to be free. Back in the summer Raimi and co. did however hire someone new to the Spidey films; Tino Schaedler.

She'll probably be part of the art direction team, working under the production designer and Raimi's supervision.

DACrowe said:
I can live with a new production designer, though I thought SM2 and SM3 and even SM1 had excellent production work, that is expected for a summer blockbuster though.

Neil Spisak was the production designer for the first three movies, but he may want to move on to different projects (one PD, John Myhre, never ever does sequels). J. Michael Riva did help Spisak out on the third movie, that's why he has an on-screen credit. And even if Spisak or Riva aren't doing SM-4, Raimi is going to ensure a similar look (and Sony most likely has kept the Daily Bugle and Peter's apartment sets from the previous movies).

And I would love for Bill Pope to come back for SM-4, but again he may want to work on something different. But someone equally talented could do a brilliant job -- hopefully Raimi won't use Don Burgess this time around.

^^It would appear that Spisak was let go in favor of Riva. Phil Saunders, one of the art crew members, wrote this interesting post about that on his blog.

Monday, October 20, 2008
Spidey 3

Here are a few keyframes I did for Spidey 3 a few years back. I joined the embattled project pretty late in the game, right after the production design regime change from Neil Spisak to Mike Riva a few weeks into principle photography. We were only a few weeks out from shooting the final battle scene and they had already started building a full-sized set of the first few stories of a skyscraper under construction. Unfortunately the actual scene to take place in the set hadn't been written yet.

I was brought in initially to visualize some of the action and also to design how the same set could be dressed to represent several different levels of the building under construction.

I've never been on a movie where the script changed so radically so often. I wouldn't be half-way through a keyframe when someone would look over my shoulder and say "Oh. Didn't you know? It's no longer Venom in that scene, it's Goblin..." This is why we paint in layers...
It was also pretty political with the change-over in art department. Jim Carson and I kept getting asked to do pretty much the same work, which was really demoralizing, particularly for him since he'd been on the project for over a year already doing great work. I felt really bad, it just wasn't a fun environment. The construction site set ended up being struck and rebuilt twice more for re-shoots. Ahh, this is how movies are made these days. And we wonder why they're so expensive...
http://philsaunders.blogspot.com/2008/10/spidey-3.html

How is it great news when it was originally set for February and has now been pushed back a month? Fanboys getting excited for delays now? Not that it's a big deal, it's just that we have know about it for a while.

I'm excited at the prospect for a new spidey film but the past 3 movies have left me feeling quite underwhelmed. Lets just say I'm interested to see what develops. However, I think people will find this to be great news because even if principal photgraphy has been pushed back, the release date is still exactly the same, which ultimately in theory makes it a good thing, as more time can be spent to improve the script and the quality of production/pre production plus, it's an actual concrete date as to when filming begins as opposed to suggesting/hoping for filming to start in feb.

MTV talked to director Sam Raimi, who says he's hoping to start shooting Spider-Man 4 the first week of March 2010 for a May 5, 2011 release.

I don't know -- it seems like there's still an awful lot of stuff up in the air concerning SM4 at this point. I'll be more confident in its fate when more casting takes place and principal photography actually begins.

Yeah, lol. It's going to bring back the good old days of the hype for S-M3.

Yeah those were the good old days - before the movie came out , lol.

I came into this thread not liking what I saw but then found numerous other flaws thanks to you guys.

I don't know -- it seems like there's still an awful lot of stuff up in the air concerning SM4 at this point. I'll be more confident in its fate when more casting takes place and principal photography actually begins.

Sony isn't a studio that plays around or waits with a franchise like Spider-Man, especially with Amy Pascal leading the way. I'd almost bet money that filming for SM-4 will start filming before summer 2010 (if not March, then surely April or May), and not be delayed or suffer re-location nightmares like WB's GL. Mark my words, we'll have casting announcements for the villain(s) and supporting characters by the end of the year.

And they have a couple of script drafts Raimi is beginning pre-visualization on for the big setpieces and such. Plus, Sony has a locked in release date, plus Maguire and Dunst on board. A March 2010 start date is certainly doable with the elements in place.

So assuming that Raimi is going to shoot Spidey 4 in March , that means we'll see seeing some pics/footage by the COMIC-CON 2010 starts .

Edit :
Also are there any plans from sony/raimi to shoot portions or the entire movie in IMAX and/or 3-d
I know that many directors would love to shoot with an IMAX camera however it's creating the VFX at that scale that's a problem. Personally i'd love to see spidey duking it out in IMAX-3D.

Maybe its just me, but I hope they won't get all generic on us again. Typical love traingle, hero accepting responsibility and maturing as a character, we have already gotten that for three movies. I guess the formula makes money so why change it... :whatever: I mean I know there are limitations to what you can do when working with a brand name like Spiderman, but I hope they can at least explore some new aspects. The whole serious relationship, working adult/full time superhero is rather bland IMO and that's what Sam seems to be hinting at.

I would seriously like to see Spider-Man accidentally let someone die or not get there in time. Maybe a villain can make him choose like Goblin did but this time, he can't do it. I would love to see how Peter deals with that and I like Spider-Man being hated more than I do him being loved.

I don't know.It sounds an awful like SM2....and at the beginning of SM3 he already had a balance on his personal and superhero life.So Raimi isn't really saying anything new...

To me it sounds like Raimi is going to make this his final film by completing Spider-man's arc of being a virtuous and ideal hero by the end of the film.

Maybe its just me, but I hope they won't get all generic on us again. Typical love traingle, hero accepting responsibility and maturing as a character, we have already gotten that for three movies. I guess the formula makes money so why change it... :whatever: I mean I know there are limitations to what you can do when working with a brand name like Spiderman, but I hope they can at least explore some new aspects. The whole serious relationship, working adult/full time superhero is rather bland IMO and that's what Sam seems to be hinting at.

What is so generic about doing a summer blockbuster that focuses on character development and progression? So few blockbusters do that that it's generally refreshing that the Spider-man movies put an emphasis on their characters. The comics always played like soap operas anyway. Now, yes, I do feel like the series is a bit formulaic now and I am looking forward to 5 & 6 more with a fresh take, but it sounds weak to say the movies are generic because of the focus on the human interest story.

Last edited:
That's fair ^^^. But if that's the case then yeah, wrap this arc up and call it a day. Don't try and get cute like SM3, don't try to go out with an atomic bomb, just make a half competent film and bring a bold director who can take the franchise in a different direction 5-6 years from now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"