Sam Raimi to Direct

kvz5

HBIC
Staff member
Reaction score
:wow:

Sam Raimi, who helped launch the modern superhero movie with 2002’s “Spider-Man,” is in talks to direct “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” for Marvel Studios, Variety has learned.

Raimi replaces original director Scott Derrickson, who Variety reported on Jan. 9 had officially departed the project due to creative differences. Derrickson will remain as an executive producer. Raimi, meanwhile, will need to get up to speed before the film’s scheduled production start date in May.

Marvel had no comment.

After finishing his “Spider-Man” trilogy for Sony Pictures with 2007’s “Spider-Man 3,” Raimi’s output as a director slowed considerably, with just the horror pic “Drag Me to Hell” in 2009 and Disney’s “The Wizard of Oz” prequel “Oz the Great and Powerful” in 2013. Instead, he’s been busy as a producer, helping relaunch various horror franchises like “Poltergeist” and his own classic, “Evil Dead.”

This is something of a coup for both Raimi and Marvel, given Raimi’s reputation with comic book fans — 2004’s “Spider-Man 2” is still widely regarded as one of the best superhero movies ever made. And with 15 features to his name as a director — including the beloved horror trilogy “The Evil Dead,” “Evil Dead II,” and “Army of Darkness” — Raimi is also the most established filmmaker to join the Marvel Studios fold since the earliest days of the studio, when Kenneth Branagh and Joe Johnston respectively directed the first “Thor” and “Captain America” movies in 2011.

This makes me so happy. :mrk:

OMG this is incredible!

btw, tucked away at the end of the Variety article is the revelation that Rachel McAdams will not be returning for the sequel.

QYRtMY4.jpg

This really makes my day. I also don't think that he would take the job if he couldn't put his own stamp on it which is encouraging.

Yeah no way in this movie not going to have more horror elements if Raimi is involved. This could end up being really dope if it turns out to be true.

Before Derrickson left this was the one I was most interested in. Then I had zero interest. But this is another level. If the stars align, this could be the if not one of the best Marvel movies.

I just hope he isn't Marvel kneecapped and reigned in. You hire Sam Raimi, you do whatever the **** he wants.

I just hope it's true now with variety as the source it's a good bet. That way I can stop worrying.

Okay, NOW you've got my attention. Hoping for another Iron Man 3 (but different).

Let Raimi go crazy and do his thing.

No "respect this MCU pattern" BS, please.

Feige, grap your cap and get the frick OUT OF THE WAY when THIS MAN is directing.

Thanks.

This is probably the biggest "get" the MCU has gotten with a director at least in terms of status. Obviously he hasn't directed in a while, but Raimi is a legend. All the other directors the MCU get are a) have good but limited filmography b) just started out directing features.

EDIT: Completely forgot Kenneth Branaugh (sp) directed Thor 1

This is probably the biggest "get" the MCU has gotten with a director at least in terms of status. Obviously he hasn't directed in a while, but Raimi is a legend. All the other directors the MCU get are a) have good but limited filmography b) just started out directing features.

I get what you mean, but I don't think they are interested in 'gets' the way other studios may be. The nature of what they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"