• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

sandman

nOvAkAiNe

straight outta earth 616!
Reaction score
no...not spidey's sandman, the dc/vertigo sandman! any fans here?? well ive read almost all of the trades and even got the absolute edition last xmas, i'm really starting to enjoy sandman more than xmen which has been my fav for about 16 years....even though sandmans done with i'd still like to talk about it none of my other geek comic buddies read it and its sad cause its an awesome series. although i dont think a movie would be so good....i think a mainstream tie in would be good...like an hbo or showtime series like they are doing with preacher (also a great comic) so hit me up if your down with the sandman peeps!

no...not spidey's sandman, the dc/vertigo sandman! any fans here?? well ive read almost all of the trades and even got the absolute edition last xmas, i'm really starting to enjoy sandman more than xmen which has been my fav for about 16 years....even though sandmans done with i'd still like to talk about it none of my other geek comic buddies read it and its sad cause its an awesome series. although i dont think a movie would be so good....i think a mainstream tie in would be good...like an hbo or showtime series like they are doing with preacher (also a great comic) so hit me up if your down with the sandman peeps!
http://englishplus.com/grammar/

No, I haven't read it. I'd like to read a few before beginning to buy it, but I heard it was very good. Intelligent writing. I'm sure I'll read it someday.

will i be graded anytime soon manic, for not using proper grammer?? its a forum, not a damn term paper you pole smoker.

will i be graded anytime soon manic, for not using proper grammer?? its a forum, not a damn term paper you pole smoker.
Yes, and spelling counts. Also, what I do with my poles is my own business.

daniel tosh is the man...though....i cant stay mad at you.

I've never understood the drive to start threads of this nature. Seems to me that the purpose of a message board is to debate continuity like geeks, to ask questions about obscure minutiae, to discuss the merits of various horrible writers and artists (I know it's been done, but I've got plenty more to say about Rob Liefield and post-Sin City Frank Miller), and MAYBE to post horrible fan fiction masquerading as "this totally awesome script idea that I'm gonna try to pitch to DC" and fan-art that usually leaves a bit to be desired.

i started this thread to reel in sandman readers like myself, not for fan fiction or art. my friends dont read sandman, so obviously i cant talk to them about it, so i thought "hey, maybe if i throw it out there someone will come forward and we can have a nice chit chat about goddamn sandman." i didnt make the thread so that i'd get into board battles, i'm not saying this is one, but just speaking generally. what i dont understand is what drove you to come onto this thread and bash it, for no reason whatsoever other than to tell me and anyone else that looks in here what a message board is for. but whatever.

i started this thread to reel in sandman readers like myself, not for fan fiction or art. my friends dont read sandman, so obviously i cant talk to them about it, so i thought "hey, maybe if i throw it out there someone will come forward and we can have a nice chit chat about goddamn sandman." i didnt make the thread so that i'd get into board battles, i'm not saying this is one, but just speaking generally. what i dont understand is what drove you to come onto this thread and bash it, for no reason whatsoever other than to tell me and anyone else that looks in here what a message board is for. but whatever.
My purpose was not to tell you what a message board is for. That was a vehicle for communicating my lack of understanding the motivation behind popping up and going "Uh, hey guys, SanDmannn ROOoUuLSSZ!!!1!" If you had a question about Sandman, I would understand. If you asked what people's favorite moments from Sandman were, or what parts of it they enjoyed and found specific and interesting meaning in, so that you might go back and enjoy those same parts yourself, I would understand. But to just invite everyone to a Sandman circle jerk where everyone sits around going "SANDMAN RULES!"...that I do not understand.

well i'd ask what everyones fav book,moment,character, whatever was...but i checked and i didnt see and sandman threads....so i thought well hey lets see if there are any fans here. then maybe we can start other threads, now we should start a "two idiots arguing about nothing thread" cause honestly thats whats going on....by the way whats your favorite sandman book? do u like sandman? can we be friends?

well i'd ask what everyones fav book,moment,character, whatever was...but i checked and i didnt see and sandman threads....so i thought well hey lets see if there are any fans here. then maybe we can start other threads, now we should start a "two idiots arguing about nothing thread" cause honestly thats whats going on....by the way whats your favorite sandman book? do u like sandman? can we be friends?
While I love Gaiman's Endless, I have to say that my favorite incarnations of Sandman have been as superheroes. The original Golden Age adventures of the Sandman in various comics are oft-overlooked classics, as is Jack Kirby's short-lived Sandman, Garret Sanford. The Justice Society's Sand is my favorite member of the team, and the 1990s series Sandman Mystery Theatre is one of my favorite books of all time. So, with that in mind, my favorite parts of Gaiman's Sandman were the ones that dealt with previous incarnations of Sandman superheroes.

Did you ever read Starman?

mine is seasons of mist..its actually the first i read. i havent read starman...i'm trying to get into more "literary" graphic novels alot of the stuff marvel and dc are bringing out right now is pure crap.

I'll have to disagree. There's really nothing wrong with superhero comics. Superheroes made comics what they are, and the only reason that stuff like Contract With God and Maus exist is because Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Captain America, and the rest of them, made the world safe for graphic storytelling. And, to me, they're still the best. No matter how repetitive, no matter how mindlessly violent, no matter how unrealistic, I'm as much of a sucker for big dumb fun entertainment like Die Hard and Infinite Crisis as I am for highbrow entertainment like Waking Life and Sandman.

i'm not bashing superheroes at all, i just find myself wanting to read something other than the norm superhero comics right now. you know just trying to inhale as much of the industry as i can. if it wasnt for superheroes i wouldnt be into comics at all, good old xmen #1 (jim lee and chris claremont) back in 1991 got me hooked on comics

It's been some time since I've read Sandman, but a few characters do stand out in memory.

Hob Gadling. In fact, I remember there being quite a few immortal humans in that book. Hob just stands out. One night in the Dark Ages, some man in a pub (drunk off his ass) explains to his buddies that he doesn't think he'll die if he doesn't accept it as an inevitability. Then Death herself basically says "why not", and lets the man live for the next few hundred years.

I can't remember her name, but I remember (and love) the story revolving around Sandman's ex-girlfriend who used to be the queen of a long-forgotten African kingdom (queendom, whatever), and his quest to later retrieve her (Lucifer closing up shop had to be one of the strangest/funniest/most interesting things to happen in the book).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"