DC TV Series Sandman: The Series

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
http://heatvision.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/09/sandman-neil-gaiman-tv-show-eric-kripke.html

“The Sandman,” the Neil Gaiman-penned comic book series considered a seminal work in the medium, is in the early stages of being developed into a TV series.

Warner Bros. TV is in the midst of acquiring television rights from sister company DC Entertainment and in talks with several writer-producers about adapting the 1990s comic. At the top of the list is Eric Kripke, creator of the CW’s horror-tinged “Supernatural.”

“Sandman” told the tale of Morpheus, the Lord of the Dreaming, a deity who personifies dreams. The book began in the horror realm but quickly made its mark in fantasy and mythology as Gaiman introduced the Endless, a group of powerful brothers and sisters named Destiny, Death, Destruction, Despair, Desire and Delirium (as well as Dream).
The book helped establish DC’s Vertigo imprint and won several awards. It also was one of the few comics that segued from the comics crowd, entering the intellectual and art worlds, winning over a large non-comics-reading audience, particularly a devoted female following.
6a00d83451d69069e2013486a3d897970c-pi

Sandman-endless A movie version of “Sandman” has been in development since the mid-’90s, with an early version involving Roger Avery. The movie version cooled earlier in the decade, with the thinking moving to the best way to tackle an adaptation is the TV route. Up until a few months ago, DC was in talks with HBO and James Mangold to develop a show minus WBTV’s involvement, but that never coalesced.
Gaiman was not officially involved with the HBO attempt, though he and Mangold held several rounds of talks surrounding characters and story. The author is not involved in the new developments, though since it is early in the process, that may change. In fact, securing Gaiman will prove key for the project to go forward.

Kripke has been described as interested in tackling an adaptation but cautious because the comic book has such a passionate following and is held in such high regard. It’s the kind of series where each production decision, from casting to script to design, would be scrutinized by devotees.

Still, Kripke has managed to create and sustain “Supernatural,” which week in and week out deals with fantasy, mythological and horror elements. He also displayed a certain amount of creative integrity when he stuck to his guns by not returning as showrunner when the network renewed the series for a sixth season after he completed his planned five-season story line.

Last edited:
:wow::wow::wow:

Tell me this isn't a joke! Kripke is awesome, and I think he'll do a fantastic job.

Awesome! I hope this turns out good.

It will be amazing if Kripke runs this series.

But for anyone else, it could turn into a Twilight/Vampire Diaries-eque massacre.

If Gaiman is involved and, God willing, it's not on The CW, this could be ****ing great.

CW did say they are looking for a DC property to replace Smallville...:csad:

Being on the CW doesn't mean it'll be god-awful though. Supernatural is still amazing; you'll never see SPN promos with Katy Perry songs, lol.

Especially if Kripke is involved, it'll make more sense for it to be on CW.

Being on the CW doesn't mean it'll be god-awful though. Supernatural is still amazing; you'll never see SPN promos with Katy Perry songs, lol.

Especially if Kripke is involved, it'll make more sense for it to be on CW.

Yeah, watching Supernatural and you totally get that Neil Gaiman/Vertigo vibe from it. Kripke is a pretty great choice for this, plus Supernatural gets away with a lot of crazy **** for something on network TV.

It would be awesome if HBO did a Vertigo trifecta of Sandman, Hellblazer and Preacher.

Y the Last Man, too!!!! :wow::up:

I never read the comic, but now seems like a good time to check it out.

Kripke being involved sounds like a good sign.

It would be awesome if HBO did a Vertigo trifecta of Sandman, Hellblazer and Preacher.

Y the Last Man, too!!!! :wow::up:

imo Y is better suited for the big screen it has a big scope that a tv budget cant afford

imo Y is better suited for the big screen it has a big scope that a tv budget cant afford

I dont know. They're doing The Walking Dead on AMC and that looks pretty damn great... I dont see how HBO could fail to do Y the Last Man.

I think HBO is way too overrated, imo.

AMC and Showtime is where it's at in regards to television on cable.

But, a 'Sandman' series should definitely be in CW, imo. Dawn O. said they are looking for another show once Smallville is over, and Sandman would be a perfect show to be aired right before Supernatural. That would be a superb combination.

It could be called "Kripke Night" :yay:

I dont care how well they've done with Supernatural, I dont trust The CW with Sandman. ****, I dont even trust the CW with Blue Beetle.

Why would you not trust the CW with Sandman?

If Eric Kripke was the showrunner, you really think he would become CW's *****boy? Lol, because I don't.

And Blue Beetle, I feel the same way, but then I also feel that there isn't a good showrunner out there that would stay on the series long enough. It's not everyday you see showrunners stick with their series until the end, and that's what BB needs, someone who will stick around to the end and not bail on the series, ala AlMiles.

Bout time that cane swinging drunk got his own show...wait...wrong Sandman.

Why would you not trust the CW with Sandman?

If Eric Kripke was the showrunner, you really think he would become CW's *****boy? Lol, because I don't.

And Blue Beetle, I feel the same way, but then I also feel that there isn't a good showrunner out there that would stay on the series long enough. It's not everyday you see showrunners stick with their series until the end, and that's what BB needs, someone who will stick around to the end and not bail on the series, ala AlMiles.

Smallville being the missed opportunity it has become really falls more on the feet of the original show runners than the network. To me it seemed that they were embarrassed by anything comic booky. Smallville didn't start being interesting again until they left, I really doubt that there would have been a JSA episode with costumes had Gough and Millar stayed on.

They just need someone that gets the material, and Kripke seems like he would. It would also help if they brought Neil Gaiman on board in some capacity, I'm sure that would alleviate some fears.

I dont know. They're doing The Walking Dead on AMC and that looks pretty damn great... I dont see how HBO could fail to do Y the Last Man.
walking dead is not really big in scope like Y is there is a reason why movies like 28 days later was only 8 million

Supernatural was already a Vertigo/Hellblazer inspired show so I think Eric knows how to do this.

EDIT: Castiel was inspired by constantine
cashell.png

Last edited:
I honestly can't imagine what an adaptation of Sandman could possibly look like unless it was animated. The entire comic series is hinged on the ink and color. Without it, it's not Sandman.

So, we are going to end up with a heavily distilled show with semi-campy props and characters and that's it? Anyone remember Neverwhere? I'm not saying they (HBO) don't have more money, but money wasn't the problem with Neverwhere. It's just really hard to adapt Gaiman's more complex work to the medium of TV.

Well in order to adapt there need to be changes so I say buckle up and expect changes.

Supernatural was already a Vertigo/Hellblazer inspired show so I think Eric knows how to do this.

EDIT: Castiel was inspired by constantine
cashell.png

I love the adaptation, especially since all the other angels wore suits(except for Lucifer, Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Anna).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"