• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Seems like the movie over-performed at the Box Office on Friday.

I already predicted in my head this would be #1 this weekend. The projections were way too low. They predicted 4th place behind Dora.its gonna take #1 because most people are using this as the appetizer before IT 2. Scary should make at least 25-30 million this weekend

They didn't know how good it was gonna do. Sadly it may have gotten lost in the shuffle in October considering stuff like Gemini Man and Maleficent.

I can imagine this having strong legs during the next few weeks. Checking it out tonight.

Yeah it was very well directed, as well as funny. This is pretty much how a live action Scooby Doo should have been, without the deaths. :o

It was like the ghost of the mom from honey boo boo before she lost all that weight.

Gotta love practical effects.

That made me want to see it a second time. I had assumed most of it was CG. I am impressed. I wish they had showed missing toe lady more prominently. She barely had any closeups. That would have traumatized many people and would have made the movie more memorable

There are a lot of obvious cuts in order to avoid an R rating.

just saw it. Good stuff, I usually don't watch horror.
The books were totally unknown to me until know. But heck, I grew up in Catholic schools so they were likely to have banned them.
The story was a better narrative than I was expecting, considering the anthology style source material.
I wonder was the setting of 1968 the creation of the screenwriters?

the creepy events were definitely just that.
In some respect it was a much better created homage to the horror films of the 1980s. Teens and 20 somethings of today grew up with seeing the horror stuff of the 70s and 80s and 90s on video and streaming services. it's all one big blur to some of them and they're "super woke" to all the tropes.

One reason I often avoid contemporary horror films is that many of them will have "gotcha" endings or endings which are kind of nihilistic or depressing (e.g., the monster comes back or never died, the remaining person(s) get maimed/forced to go through hell again). The Del Toro-produced "Mama" from years ago kind of offended me with the ending From that point, I deliberately avoided Del Toro films since then. This time around, I'm glad that this was a different sort of ending. More hopeful.

Awesome! Wonder what stories they'll tackle next.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark Director Gives Update on Sequel: ‘It’s Alive’ - IGN

During an interview for his upcoming vampire film The Last Voyage of the Demeter, I had the chance to pester Øvredal about the status of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark 2. I'd be a bad horror fan if I didn't ask when we'd finally see a follow-up to one of the most successful gateway horror releases of the 2000s. His answer confirms movement and gives us a hopeful update to grasp, even though it's not as definitive as we'd hope.

As per Øvredal:

"We have a story. We have a script. We've been working on the script as late as last year and even slightly into this year. The process obviously stopped with the strike — but it's alive, for sure. COVID and then [The Last Voyage of the Demeter] eating up two years of my life certainly put a dent in the progress."

Probably with a new cast at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"