The Walking Dead Scott Gimple no longer the showrunner, replaced by Angela Kang

XtremelyBaneful

xoxxxoooxo
Reaction score
It took them too fxcking long to do this, to be honest. I wish they just fired him
The dead shall rise again for AMC.

The cable network has renewed The Walking Dead for a ninth season and signed now-former showrunner Scott M. Gimple to an overall deal in which he will now serve as chief content officer of the franchise. In his new role, Gimple will oversee The Walking Dead's vast TV universe, including both the flagship and spinoff Fear the Walking Dead, as well as gaming and future brand extensions on a variety of platforms, among other areas.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...runner-scott-gimple-oversee-franchise-1051008

Yeah, they are promoting Gimple, which is not exactly a good thing. I think we can fully expect a third Walking Dead series soon.

Gimple lost 10 million viewers in a season, his dialogue is terrible, and the directing/editing has just deteriorated. This promotion is ridiculous.

I guess I'll post this here too... Episodes written or co-written by Angela Kang:

2.06 – "Secrets"
2.11 – "Judge, Jury, Executioner"
3.05 – "Say the Word"
3.11 – "I Ain't a Judas"
4.02 – "Infected"
4.12 – "Still"
4.16 – "A" (co-written with Scott M. Gimple)
5.03 – "Four Walls and a Roof" (co-written with Corey Reed)
5.08 – "Coda"
5.15 – "Try"
6.03 – "Thank You"
6.10 – "The Next World" (co-written with Corey Reed)
6.13 – "The Same Boat"
7.03 – "The Cell"
7.07 – "Sing Me a Song" (co-written with Corey Reed)
7.09 – "Rock in the Road"
8.05 – "The Big Scary U" (co-written with Scott M. Gimple and David Leslie Johnson)
8.06 - "The King, the Widow, and Rick" (co-written with Corey Reed)
8.08 - "How It's Gotta Be" (co-written with David Leslie Johnson)

Last edited:
Yeah, they are promoting Gimple, which is not exactly a good thing. I think we can fully expect a third Walking Dead series soon.

wait, he got a promotion? crap I thought that was a demotion lol

yeah, still not gonna watch the show. season 6 sucked, season 7 sucked and I stopped watching the show after that but from what I've heard, season 8 really dropped the ball and it shows in the ratings

I'm hoping it's just a BS title for him to allow everyone to save face. :hehe:

I'll repeat what I posted in "The Walking Dead" General Stuff & Thaaaangs Thread :

EW's article on the renewal,the new showrunner, etc. proves how much in denial AMC is over this show's current output. They seem to turn a blind eye over the shows constant and often repeated problems, which shouldn't be surprising it's AMC. However, I was hoping AMC would come to their senses and fire Gimple. Instead he gets promoted for his mediocrity as "Chief Content Officer". And will now "oversee the Walking Dead TV franchise, including the companion series Fear The Walking Dead and future brand extensions" like he's Kevin Feige or something. Really?! Even though Angela Kang will be taking over as showrunner Gimple will still have final say over scripts, direction, etc, which in my eyes means Season 9 and onwards (possibly FTWD Season 4) won't improve but continue to diminish in quality. Doesn't help AMC and Gimple seem to be intent on milking this franchise dry, while interest and ratings continues to decline.

I'll repeat what I posted in "The Walking Dead" General Stuff & Thaaaangs Thread :

EW's article on the renewal,the new showrunner, etc. proves how much in denial AMC is over this show's current output. They seem to turn a blind eye over the shows constant and often repeated problems, which shouldn't be surprising it's AMC. However, I was hoping AMC would come to their senses and fire Gimple. Instead he gets promoted for his mediocrity as "Chief Content Officer". And will now "oversee the Walking Dead TV franchise, including the companion series Fear The Walking Dead and future brand extensions" like he's Kevin Feige or something. Really?! Even though Angela Kang will be taking over as showrunner Gimple will still have final say over scripts, direction, etc, which in my eyes means Season 9 and onwards (possibly FTWD Season 4) won't improve but continue to diminish in quality. Doesn't help AMC and Gimple seem to be intent on milking this franchise dry, while interest and ratings continues to decline.
when I first heard about this I thought it meant that they fired him, and reality is it's the complete opposite so yeah. I don't know how the future of this franchise is gonna go

I guess I'll post this here too... Episodes written or co-written by Angela Kang:

<snip>

I actually kinda remember some of those episodes which gives me hope. I haven't watched the show since S6 (and even then it took me months after airing to actually catch up back then to that point).

But she did Coda too.... so she wrote the completely idiotic way that Beth went out. Those damn scissors. :loco:

But he promoted out of this lol. So even though she is the showrunner, how much power will she have compared to him?

Nothing I've seen of Gimple suggests that he doesn't have an overinflated view of his own ideas.

Gimple's writing and showrunning went downhill when Seth Hoffman left the show. Hoffman was his co-EP: the #2 guy in the writers room.

4.08 - "Too Far Gone"
4.11 - "Claimed" (co-written with Nichole Beattie)
4.15 - "Us" (co-written with Nichole Beattie)
5.05 - "Self Help" (co-written with Heather Bellson)
5.07 - "Crossed"
5.11 - "The Distance"
5.16 - "Conquer" (co-written with Scott M. Gimple)
6.02 - "JSS"
6.09 - "No Way Out"
6.12 - "Not Tomorrow Yet"

Kang, along with Matthew Negrete, stepped up but the show hasn't been the same since.

Worst case scenario is that the show quality and ratings continue to go down. But, who knows. Maybe season 9 will be much better.

The show has been on a downhill for much longer IMAO. I wish they would just hire Frank Darabont back. He built the show and made it amazing in the first place. No season has so far been as consistently great as Season 1.

I do wonder what a season 3/4 of The Walking Dead would have looked like with Darabont in charge.

Gimple talking about the future...

DEADLINE: Heighten is an interesting term as we look at your fairly recently announced step away from being the showrunner on TWD after a pretty long run to become Chief Content Officer for Walking Dead, Fear and what were unspecified as “potential brand extensions on a variety of platforms.” You know it seemed like a bump upstairs but to what a lot of us are still unclear…

GIMPLE:
I know…

DEADLINE: So lay it out for us: how did the new position come to be and how did you envision it actually working with new showrunners at both Walking Dead and Fear in their upcoming seasons?

GIMPLE: Well, I was talking to AMC about the future the opportunities to do even more stuff. The Walking Dead universe came up and that led the conversations about Fear. In some ways, the opportunity to step back to elevate Angela seemed exciting because I was excited about trying to get new stuff going in The Walking Dead and even do more with old stuff in The Walking Dead.

DEADLINE: Does that mean more spinoffs?

GIMPLE: I mean we’re working on all sorts of things. It’s all kind of coming together, but we want to keep doing great Walking Dead stuff. And Angela’s amazingly talented. Look, I had done five years, more than 80 episodes, and it just seemed like a really good time for a change. I have a great relationship with Angela and I hired Andrew and Ian over on Fear — folks that I had worked with before — and it’s been really exciting working on that show too. I just didn’t want to try and do it all at once. I love working on Season 9 with Angela and it’s very impressive to see how she’s attacking it. And we’re just starting our eighth episode of Fear so we’re almost halfway through that season and I’m so proud of what’s come together there.

DEADLINE: Scott, you are weaving around my spinoffs question…

GIMPLE: I’ll say we’re working on different sorts of Walking Dead goodness coming up and we’ll be telling you about it as it comes together. And it’s all sorts of stuff

DEADLINE: You took over suddenly in many ways after Glen Mazzara was out as TWD showrunner in late 2012, what is this more measured transition with Angela, who is the first female showrunner the series has ever had, like and how has your day-to-day changed?

GIMPLE: With Angela, its great, just great. Angela is very much the showrunner of Dead and Andrew and Ian are very much the showrunners at Fear. So now it’s being in a position to talk about sort of the stories globally and sometimes specifically. It’s about breaking the whole season and figuring out where things are going. And then, the showrunners really do take the ball and run with it.

DEADLINE: Still satisfying?

GIMPLE: That part is really satisfying. It’s very much trying to give them an even better experience than I had and trying to also make sure that the franchise has a certain continuity. That has the same story values and the same entertainment values. It’s great and I’m excited about all the other stuff that’s coming down the line. That stuff I’m really digging into in the next month as I finish Walking Dead Season 8.

The show has been on a downhill for much longer IMAO. I wish they would just hire Frank Darabont back. He built the show and made it amazing in the first place. No season has so far been as consistently great as Season 1.

From what I've seen, there's always been one faction of the viewing audience or another who has been unhappy with the creative direction. When Darabont was still around, people complained about season 2 on the farm. I'm convinced there are people who were only happy with maybe the first three or four episodes of season 1 and that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"