The Punisher Season 1, Episode 1 "3AM" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

I found the violence actually a bit unpleasant to watch lol.

And... I agree. And that's how it should be. Like the way that as brutal and bone crunching as DD's first hall way fight was when Frank had his fight in the cell block it was even worse. The series take on violent action fits this character. And goes into what made Frank the way he is.

An interesting undercurrent in the show seems to be the effect of violence in general. I am happy they aren't shrugging aside Frank's time in a theater of war and exploring that element through other characters' stories.

And... I agree. And that's how it should be. Like the way that as brutal and bone crunching as DD's first hall way fight was when Frank had his fight in the cell block it was even worse. The series take on violent action fits this character. And goes into what made Frank the way he is.

An interesting undercurrent in the show seems to be the effect of violence in general. I am happy they aren't shrugging aside Frank's time in a theater of war and exploring that element through other characters' stories.

I think wrong way arm breaks are a thing I particularly don't like seeing for some reason. I never had an issue with Punisher comics or Punisher in Daredevil's show or Daredevil himself. It should be like that for this character but I'm going to find parts of it difficult to rewatch. :woot:

"Let’s talk about an illegal job very loudly and very openly, and then get angry that a huge muscular guy is drinking his coffee nearby and we didn't check to see if we'd be overheard," thought every reasonable person, never.

"Let’s talk about an illegal job very loudly and very openly, and then get angry that a huge muscular guy is drinking his coffee nearby and we didn't check to see if we'd be overheard," thought every reasonable person, never.
Man

Some people be that way :funny:

I found the violence actually a bit unpleasant to watch lol.

I watched Brawl in Cell Block 99 last week so I'm somewhat desensitized to the violence in the Punisher at the moment.

The violence in Brawl in Cell Block 99 is so over the top that The Punisher almost feels like a palate cleanser.

I watched Brawl in Cell Block 99 last week so I'm somewhat desensitized to the violence in the Punisher at the moment.

The violence in Brawl in Cell Block 99 is so over the top that The Punisher almost feels like a palate cleanser.

Oh really? I better stay away from that then! It's really particular types of violence that get me and I definitely have a thing about bones broken the wrong way (like arm-bars in UFC which I find hard to watch). And in films/shows ultra-realistic and real world violence (rather than the stylised stuff that you might get in typical superhero/sci-fi/fantasy) is more difficult to watch.

When Hell Broke Luce started playing.....

*Tom Waits fangasm*

Thank you for that clarification. That's always been the frustration with these threads. I separated my post into spoiler and non-spoiler parts, but I see I don't need to.

Time for episode one. As people who have followed my posts in the past, I typically make myself a drink for the show. Daredevil had Manhattans, I went with a purple theme for Jessica Jones with the Gin Cassis (plus a shot of whiskey and a beer) but stay tuned for season two to see if that changes, a Harlem Cocktail for Luke Cage, and, for Iron Fist, I went with a Midori Sour. For Punisher, I am going with a Black and White Italian Cocktail, which fits for both the color scheme and the idea that Castle is Italian in heritage:

596ff99ee262b33f158f.jpg

Coffee Ice Cube
1 oz Kahlua
1 oz Vodka
1/2 oz Amaretto
1 oz Half and Half

OK, drink in hand. Here we go. Starting right off, this might be the most stylized show Marvel/Netflix has done. Maybe Luke Cage, but this is up there. It starts with the haunting acoustic guitar he's playing with his kid. Then the same notes kick in as electric guitar as Frank Castle is the Punisher. The credits also have a bit of a western vibe, which fits the whole desperado thing going on. The style certainly kicks in towards the end with the music choices it makes.

However, it appears Frank actually ends up retiring as the Punisher and just tries to forget. Clearly, he's failing at it. There's a bit of slowness and repetitiveness as Frank keeps getting the same dream and smashing the same wall. But Jon Bernthal can do a gutteral scream like no other. I like the marine support group story. I don't like the ICE agent as much. There's a lot of stereotypes. But there is room for improvement.

The main story this episode is the construction workers, the kid Donny, and the attempt to rip off the mob. It's obviously the catalyzing incident for Frank Castle to return to what he does. In a sense he's a bit of a hero as opposed to just revenge, but he does it in the most violent way possible. Some of the gore is off screen, but not all of it.

Lots of little Easter Eggs. I love that Frank's fake last name is Castiglione (a reverse of the comics). I love the reference to the Gnuccis (probably not the last). Finally, I love hearing "Welcome Back Frank."

Four and a Half Stars. I liked it a lot, but there's definitely a slowness that prevents it from being pushed over the edge.

No offense but I always find your tradition with the drinks and Netflix shows to be a bit overly self important.

No offense but I always find your tradition with the drinks and Netflix shows to be a bit overly self important.

That might be fair. I'm probably still going to do it for Jessica Jones Season Two since I'm going with a different drink, but I can stop after that if people have a problem with it (I figured anyone who didn't like my post would just skip it anyway).

That might be fair. I'm probably still going to do it for Jessica Jones Season Two since I'm going with a different drink, but I can stop after that if people have a problem with it (I figured anyone who didn't like my post would just skip it anyway).

It's only a review post with a bit of buildup, not sure what harm it's doing. And I enjoyed both the buildup and the review. :up:;)

I like the drink posts...it's a cool little tradition.

Just making an observation. Didn't intend to be rude my apologies

Seriously people, we don't need to make a big deal about it either way :)

Oh really? I better stay away from that then! It's really particular types of violence that get me and I definitely have a thing about bones broken the wrong way (like arm-bars in UFC which I find hard to watch). And in films/shows ultra-realistic and real world violence (rather than the stylised stuff that you might get in typical superhero/sci-fi/fantasy) is more difficult to watch.

I'm the same way Iceman, its hard to explain. Like, violence in stuff like John Wick, for example, or the Raid movies, I eat that stuff up. That's my kind of violence. But this show looks like its gonna have some real stomach churning stuff. You can tell its just much more brutal, which isn't a ding against the show its just that your mileage is gonna vary. That's actually why I held off on watching til now, but so far, I really dug the first episode.

Wait! I wanna see Mike's other drink reviews! :D

I'm the same way Iceman, its hard to explain. Like, violence in stuff like John Wick, for example, or the Raid movies, I eat that stuff up. That's my kind of violence. But this show looks like its gonna have some real stomach churning stuff. You can tell its just much more brutal, which isn't a ding against the show its just that your mileage is gonna vary. That's actually why I held off on watching til now, but so far, I really dug the first episode.

Exactly. I love martial arts, boxing, UFC minus armbars, and that kind of fighting but just specific types of violence that I would rather didn’t exist at all (joint manipulation and locks that are taken to breaks). I’m a bit weird lol. And btw after the first episode it’s not really like that. I had no problem getting through the other episodes so far (I’m halfway now).

Wait! I wanna see Mike's other drink reviews! :D

Each show from the beginning has drink reviews, but Defenders is when I started posting pictures. That's when I went back and covered all the drinks from the previous shows.

The basic premise I started with is that Manhattans are a perfect drink for Daredevil. After that, it was more about trying to match color scheme, but Luke Cage had a Harlem cocktail and Iron Fist went with an Asian-inspired Midori Sour.

Well, hell. That sure as **** was The Punisher at the end there. Good start.

I like the drink review! This one looks like a White Russian with amaretto in it? I love White Russian though can’t have too much it’s too heavy.

Just finished the first episode after an okay run with The Defenders. It’s a good first episode though I hope the acting of the female agent will improve. She just sounds too unnatural to me at times. It takes me out of the otherwise very solid episode.

I have to admit I am never a Punisher fan but this shows sounds promising. I like the unrepentant violence and how the protagonist struggles to come to term with what happened, unsuccessfully.

Whoever says Marvel is for kids should just make his kids to sit through this and enjoy the ride and the cleanup afterward.

I like the drink review! This one looks like a White Russian with amaretto in it? I love White Russian though can’t have too much it’s too heavy.

Yep. I wouldn't actually recommend this drink for binge watching, but that discomfort seemed to match the discomfort of the show sometimes. This is a very enjoyable watch, but it's not always an easy watch.

One can only hope the Gnucci oufit can come back in season 2 for a larger role.

You know, thinking about it, the plan to hit the Gnucci poker game could've gone a lot smoother if Donny was switched with the guy who was waiting with the car.

Done watching DD season 2 again, so now I'm watching the first episode of this.
HEY LOOK; crane dad from the Amazing Spider-Man.
Oh, and that researcher from X-Men 3: The Last Stand.

Donny is a fool for trying to befriend people who hate him, and are just rude to everyone. Who takes his wallet to a burglary? That was a clumsy move Donny.
Only smart move that kid made was being friendly to Frank.
Best parts of this good episode are Punisher doing his thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"