Luke Cage Season 1, Episode 10 "Take it Personal" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
rjOZM1K.png

nypU51L.png

7kDFluZ.png

Interesting to see they're playing up the shadiness of Dr. Burnstein.

But I hate the changes done to the origin, backstory in Georgia, Reva and Willis being Luke's actual brother.

I think the biggest thing in this issue is Mariah's message, which is very much a mixed message. I think she sells it as well as she can, but it's fitting that it's because she's under pressure that she gives it. On the other hand, it makes sense that if the politicians can get the black political support for arming police officers, they'd certainly go for it. It continues the political connotations of the show, which seem to be growing bolder. It's still subtle, but obvious enough to get noticed. I'll emphasize the black fear and gun laws comment, which is 100% true (but 100% off topic, so I'll save a rant about Ronald Reagan, the Second Amendment, and the non-Marvel Black Panthers for another day).

The other big thing is Luke's story [blackout]with Reva[/blackout]. With Jessica Jones as a backstory, it's even more shocking. She was very much placed on a pedestal like Dante's Beatrice. But with this episode, her lies, which seemed small and forgivable ring out as her true self. It's truly heartbreaking since my mindset has put her as a saint and martyr since November of last year.

Four Stars.

Last edited:
Interesting to see they're playing up the shadiness of Dr. Burnstein.

But I hate the changes done to the origin, backstory in Georgia, Reva and Willis being Luke's actual brother.

I can sympathize, but I think the only way you can have any meaningful plot twists or actual surprises in a show based on a comic, is to diverge from the source material and put your spin on things in an adaption.

Frankly I liked the changes they did with rather one note characters like Mariah and Cottonmouth from the comics, so even if every change didn't work, I like enough of the changes for the series to work for me.

I don't think anyone minds the changes to Mariah and Cottonmouth as neither of those characters were well developed in the comics. Marvel writers only develop a small number of their overall villains in the comics. Many villains to characters that didn't have a long running solo series like Luke Cage have underdeveloped villains compared to more popular heroes that do have decades of solo comic series.

I've seen a little criticism of the changes to the relationships of the characters connected to Cage. It isn't overly negative. some people just prefer how those relationships or storylines were handled in the comics. Everyone has their own personal preferences.

Dr. Burnstein is a lot more shady in the TV show than he was in the comics. In the nineties Cage run he was somewhat shady but generally he was depicted as a well meaning ally to Cage. Burnstein and Claire ran a clinic in New York together in the Power Man comics.

Cage healing factor got a mention.

Reva Connors being shady is a interesting twist.

'The only superfreak we like is rick james' sign during Mariah's speech made me laugh :funny:

Jessica Jones snapping purple man's neck incident got a mention.

Looks like Claire and Luke are getting close. Comic ship inbound?

Diamondback got himself a power glove.

These cops are actually dumb enough to fall for a guy supposedly shouting his own name when he kills a cop being the real killer. Even with all the fake evidence and video pointing to Cage so far it would be foolish to think he straight murders people and let's them know it was him while supposedly being on the run.

Diamondback's mother was James Lucas side chick.

The councilman kinda reminds me of Jasper Sitwell.

I liked the episode, but it's hard to buy the cops being THAT dumb with how things were set up.

Anyone else heard homage to Game of Thrones intro theme when [blackout]they wanted to neutralize the acid[/blackout]?

Damn, the setup was totally dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"