• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Daredevil Season 1, Episode 7 "Stick" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Favorite episode so far.

Stick is so cool. It was a Marvel name I knew. I love when other Marvel characters get involved. I wish more did so far.

Everyone should have a mentor like Stick in their lives. Scott Glenn was tremendously fun as Stick -- he's like the Nick Fury of the Daredevil-verse, the no **** taker and bringer of hard truths.

Last edited:
Everyone should have a mentor like Stick in their lives. Scott Glenn was tremendously fun as Stick -- he's like the Nick Fury of the Daredevil-verse, the no **** taker and bringer of hard truths.

To me, Stick has taken his place as the badass of the MCU. I hope we get to see him make a return if they do a second series or in The Defenders.

Anyone have a screen grab of Stone? Interesting how they made it seem like Stone was the leader and not Stick.

Scot Glenn killed it as Stick. Absolute badass. My only minor complaint is with the timeline of the training. They kind of just blew past it and young Matty was flipping around in the blink of an eye.

I want more Stick.

I think the Stick and Stone dynamic was like that in Man Without Fear. The scene was practically a shot for shot remake without the same dialogue.

My only minor complaint is with the timeline of the training. They kind of just blew past it and young Matty was flipping around in the blink of an eye.

That's my only nitpick too. Almost got the impression he was only trained for a couple months, before Stick decided to leave. And he was already quite the mini Ninja.

I think the Stick and Stone dynamic was like that in Man Without Fear. The scene was practically a shot for shot remake without the same dialogue.

I haven't read that book in a while; I completely forgot Stone was in that story.

You're on point, man:

1z6kjs.jpg

Thanks for connecting the dots for me. I thought it was Master Khan or Master Izo last night.

I guess DEFENDERS is gonna be a battle between a DD-led The Chaste and an Elektra-led The Hand.

Boy!!! Scott Glenn is killin' it!! This episode is amazing.

He really impressed me. I'm not sure what I was expecting, I guess because I always thought stick was such an odd random character in the marvel u but I really loved him in the series.

He was a great mirror image of matt's dad and he really added layers to matt and his psychological state

Will Matt receive more training? Didn't seem like enough what was shown.

Anyone have a screen grab of Stone? Interesting how they made it seem like Stone was the leader and not Stick.

Was Stick the leader in the comics? I always figured it was collaborative and they decided things by consensus.

Loved Stick. They nailed the character perfectly - perhaps more perfect than any other character so far. He's a bit more ambiguous with his willingness to kill, but that's OK. Most importantly, he's still an A-Hole. There's a touch of mystical without going to far (just enough to foreshadow things like the Hand).

Was Stick the leader in the comics? I always figured it was collaborative and they decided things by consensus.

Loved Stick. They nailed the character perfectly - perhaps more perfect than any other character so far. He's a bit more ambiguous with his willingness to kill, but that's OK. Most importantly, he's still an A-Hole. There's a touch of mystical without going to far (just enough to foreshadow things like the Hand).

You're right. I just went and grabbed my issues to see because it was bugging me. In Miller's original run it's Stick, Stone, and a few others, and they're all equals but it seems like Stick is the most vocal.

In Man Without Fear we just see Stick and Stone and it's the same deal as before. What's interesting is that in Miller's original run, Stone is against using and training Matt, but Stick is stubborn. But in Man Without Fear, it's flipped around. I've always preferred Miller's run over his Man Without Fear anyway.

I have to agree that Glenn's performance as Stick was perfection. This show really nailed the casting. Episode 7 might have been my favorite.

I loved the episode, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say favorite. I'd argue it's better for comic fans than the audience as a whole.

ETA: On second thought, while it's not a spoiler per se, it comments on the future direction of the episodes, so I put the rest in spoiler tags.

To me, it's an episode that a fan of the comic would love, but is, to be fair, somewhat of a throwaway. I think it ties into future events (either Defenders of Daredevil Season 2) and it helps explain Matt's training and delve into his past and his character, but it's a somewhat side plot. The ninja fight in that one references Stick and suggests they were the Hand, so that's something that built off this episode.

Last edited:
One of the best episodes thus far. Really enjoyed Stick. You have to wonder about those nuns letting a 9 year old go off with a guy that looks like he sleeps on a park bench. :oldrazz: I always though Matt was a little older at that point.But whatever.

I'm not sure they didn't over-do Stick's abilities. I mean, shouldn't Matt be the only one who can feel silk sheets from two rooms away?

We never found out who that kid was or why he was supposedly so dangerous,but I guess that may yet be revealed.

So Stick is working for the Shredder?:woot:

I kinda wish we got some more interaction between Matt,Foggy & Karen.So far it's been mostly Karen/Foggy. Props for all the subtitled scenes. I appreciate when they go through a whole scene like that without reverting to English. Feels more authentic.

Added to my gripes about the violence,I might as well make mention of the profanity level going up in recent episodes. I can generally give it a pass, until it becomes way too obvious. Like every scene obvious. (seriously,haven't heard the term d*** this much outside of a Kevin Smith film. Overkill)

So Stick is working for the Shredder?

2mfkfhv.jpg

He doesn't work for him but rather with him. Stone is his second in command in The Chaste.

Stick's the Leader, but is clearly trying to make Matt his replacement for when the time comes to command The Chaste against Elektra and The Hand.

Last edited:
So I was thinking a bit. I don't remember all too much about Stick's abilities in the comics but here he seems to have enhanced senses to the same degree as Matt, am I right? Then what good does the chemical spill in the eyes do to Matt if all this can be trained by a regular blind man?

So I was thinking a bit. I don't remember all too much about Stick's abilities in the comics but here he seems to have enhanced senses to the same degree as Matt, am I right? Then what good does the chemical spill in the eyes do to Matt if all this can be trained by a regular blind man?

Stick's not a regular blind man. He's been trained in an unusual way. What it comes down to is Matt's abilities are null when dealing with ninja. Anyone else is at a disadvantage with Matt.

Stick's not a regular blind man. He's been trained in an unusual way. What it comes down to is Matt's abilities are null when dealing with ninja. Anyone else is at a disadvantage with Matt.

Yes I realize that. But that just means that anyone who can go through the proper ninja training can get the same abilities as Matt, so what exactly did the chemicals bring to the table? My only guess could be that it just gave him a jumpstart with his abilites.

In MWOF, Stick suggests that all people have the potential to do the same thing, but they become weak and complacent and lose that potential because they have sight, which is just easier. Matt started with sight so he lost that potential. The chemicals he got simply gave him a second chance on the potential he lost.

I don't think the theory works perfectly since it's suggesting all people born blind are superhumans, but it does at least raise the idea that someone like Stick, who was raised in mystic arts, could be a match to Matt's senses.

In MWOF, Stick suggests that all people have the potential to do the same thing, but they become weak and complacent and lose that potential because they have sight, which is just easier. Matt started with sight so he lost that potential. The chemicals he got simply gave him a second chance on the potential he lost.

I don't think the theory works perfectly since it's suggesting all people born blind are superhumans, but it does at least raise the idea that someone like Stick, who was raised in mystic arts, could be a match to Matt's senses.

In my opinion people become weak and complacent because they have the internet.

Stick was awesome. I loved the relationship between him and Matt.

Shut up and eat your ice cream Matt!

This could actually be one of my favourite episodes of the season so far. Following up on the climactic elements of "Condemned," this episode very much feels like the show entering its second phase, as we push beyond the unfolding crime saga and start digging into some wider mythology concerning Daredevil, touching on the ninja part of the character with some foreshadowing of The Hand. As the title suggests, the best part of this episode was most surely Scott Glenn, who blasts into the show like a whirlwind, bringing Stick to life as a first-class grizzled badass. Glenn has great chemistry with both Charlie Cox and the kid playing young Matt Murdock, and in the flashback training scenes I must say I was very impressed with both the kids acting and his martial arts prowess. Elsewhere, I enjoyed seeing Foggy, Karen and Ben Urich come together as their investigation gradually unfolds. I'm really intrigued where the show goes next from here.

You're on point, man:

1z6kjs.jpg

Thanks for connecting the dots for me. I thought it was Master Khan or Master Izo last night.

I guess DEFENDERS is gonna be a battle between a DD-led The Chaste and an Elektra-led The Hand.

This is a great point right here. I had considered The Hand as potential shared threats to all the Netflix heroes leading them to being the Big Bads of The Defenders, and I had also thought of the possibility of Elektra being their leader to give them a more distinct face as antagonists, but bringing it up in this context crystalises that idea nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"