Season 1, Episode 9 "Nobody's Listening!" (Spoiler Thread)

The Empire in Andor are outright sadistic. That one Officer gleefully asking if he could hang a rebel is some psychopath type stuff.

The Empire in Andor is the most authoritarian/fascist we have probably ever seen them. You get why these rebel agents are so paranoid

There were signs of it in ANH. ESB turned them into goofballs that only seemed to do what they do because they were terrified of Vader & Palpatine.

There were signs of it in ANH. ESB turned them into goofballs that only seemed to do what they do because they were terrified of Vader & Palpatine.
To be fair, a big thing about Empire is that Vader is basically let off the leash after what happened in ANH and his search for Skywalker. There is no longer a Tarkin to tell him not to kill someone. So at that point, yeah, they're all kind of just working for Vader.

Yeah this is the sort of stuff you see more in the books than the on screen side of the storytelling.

Very rarely, actually. Star Wars has rarely had this kind of focus on the banality of evil. They lean into their cartoon villains. Which is fun. The closest you get is the Empire Was Right kind of stuff (looking at you Traviss). Even Lost Stars, which is one of the best of the new EU books, doesn't quite delve into the banality of the evil of the Empire, as they keep the main cast around the big events, the Death Star, and Hoth, and the Executor, etc....

Reva is so laughable as villain compared to Dedra.
Mandalorian and Ashoka will probably be a lot of fan service again…but I have hopes, that Acolyte could be more like Andor.

As I've said, she is supposed to be a mustache twirling villain. That's what the Inquisitors are.

And as much as I love Andor, I do not think its storytelling necessarily needs to become the standard of Star Wars. Acolyte is going to be a very, very different story, and the stuff of Andor does not necessarily translate to the Sith/Jedi dynamic.

Very rarely, actually. Star Wars has rarely had this kind of focus on the banality of evil. They lean into their cartoon villains. Which is fun. The closest you get is the Empire Was Right kind of stuff (looking at you Traviss). Even Lost Stars, which is one of the best of the new EU books, doesn't quite delve into the banality of the evil of the Empire, as they keep the main cast around the big events, the Death Star, and Hoth, and the Executor, etc....

Yeah I disagree. Not in the sense that they aren’t cartoonish or pulpy in how they can depict Imperial villains, but they’re often more frightening than what I’ve seen depicted on screen.

Just in canon off the top of my head Luceno had Tarkin lock a crew of pirates who wronged him in a ship and had it sent on course to a sun, and had their slow agonising screams as they roasted alive broadcast across the outer rim as a message to others. They frequently utilise suicide bombers across the post-RotJ publishing material, particularly in the Alphabet Squadron books while Operation Cinder is in full effect. Paul S Kemp made a point in the Lords of the Sith novel to show imperials pimping out Twilek girls during the occupation in Ryloth, with one of the main protagonists being a survivor of that. Plus there’s the brainwashing, Manchurian Candidate stuff depicted in the Aftermath novels (itself a reference to some of Isard’s schemes in the Legenda X-Wing novels). That’s just canon, I can certainly think of stuff in the early EU that’s stomach churning and frightening.

This show feels closer to that than say, Rebels.

Yeah I disagree. Not in the sense that they aren’t cartoonish or pulpy in how they can depict Imperial villains, but they’re often more frightening than what I’ve seen depicted on screen.

Just in canon off the top of my head Luceno had Tarkin lock a crew of pirates who wronged him in a ship and had it sent on course to a sun, and had their slow agonising screams as they roasted alive broadcast across the outer rim as a message to others. They frequently utilise suicide bombers across the post-RotJ publishing material, particularly in the Alphabet Squadron books while Operation Cinder is in full effect. Paul S Kemp made a point in the Lords of the Sith novel to show imperials pimping out Twilek girls during the occupation in Ryloth, with one of the main protagonists being a survivor of that. Plus there’s the brainwashing, Manchurian Candidate stuff depicted in the Aftermath novels (itself a reference to some of Isard’s schemes in the Legenda X-Wing novels). That’s just canon, I can certainly think of stuff in the early EU that’s stomach churning and frightening.

This show feels closer to that than say, Rebels.
In Rebels, it's the heroes who go to the extremes when they are wronged...

Waiting for MEW to bring that energy in Ahsoka…
2t9.gif

I kinda had Hans Landa vibes when Dedra was interrogatiing Bix in this episode.

Reva's problem is she was poorly written, directed, and acted. Her concept was fine though. She was basically Trilla. Trilla was just much better executed.
This

I didn't mind Reva. She had her good moments but the writing did not do her any favors for the most part. In fact, as much as I liked the Obi Wan series the tone & writing was a mixed bag. If not for Hayden & Ewan, the show would have been on par with Book of Boba Fett. BOBF was also a series I liked but it did suffer from poor writing & execution at times

Andor is on a whole different level though and I’ve been loving it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"