Strange New Worlds Season 2 Episode 10 "Hegemony" Spoiler Thread

Sithborg

Pretty in pink
Reaction score

When the U.S.S. Enterprise investigates an attack on a colony at the edge of Federation space, Captain Pike and his crew face the return of a formidable enemy.

“To be continued…” :argh:

S2 wrapped back in July of 2022. So I wonder if they actually shot S3E01 for logistical reasons (use of existing sets, availability of guest actors, etc.). If so, it’s a tad frustrating to think that Part 2 of this episode is “in the can” — but that we won’t see it until the various strikes are sorted out. Seems like the earliest S3 could premiere is late 2024. And 2025 is more likely.

SCOTTY!

oh and the music on this episode was on point like the subtle TOS theme bits when Spock was in his space suit scenes.

Last edited:
I like seeing homages to older works disguised within a new show, but this episode didn't even try for subtlety:

Terminator_2_locations_Elysian_Park.0.0.jpg

Untitled-design-8-800x400.jpg

main-qimg-072ee714896699987416d8faac07a8d3-pjlq

Are all of these movies so old now that references to them are obscure to SNW's target audience?

Batel's Gorn is going to escape and bite off Scotty's finger.

Last edited:
I still wish the Gorn looked like men in rubber suits but just updated. I don't like these CGI Gorn who lack realism and don't seem at all like the alien Captain Kirk fought before. These ones have no personality and are far less relatable.

It was good to see Scotty. Also wasn't expecting a cliffhanger. Was a good episode all round. Season 2 has been much better than season 1 which still seemed to be trying to escape the shadow of Discovery. Now it feels like its own show and more like classic Star Trek.

I still wish the Gorn looked like men in rubber suits but just updated. I don't like these CGI Gorn who lack realism and don't seem at all like the alien Captain Kirk fought before. These ones have no personality and are far less relatable.

The one who was trying to access the Cayuga's computer gives me hope that the Gorn story arc will be about something, rather than just another monsters-in-the-dark story. It might just be standard operating procedure for the Gorn to loot their dead enemies' ships, but I'd like to think that they were after something specific and not just attacking out of instinct.

Dr. Phlox said that most worlds with intelligent life usually produce more than one closely-related intelligent species, though they tend not to all survive. Maybe the TOS Arena Gorn are the rulers of their society, and the SNW Gorn are the soldiers. If the Metrons had let the crews pick their own champions for the big fight, Arena might have turned out very differently.

The one who was trying to access the Cayuga's computer gives me hope that the Gorn story arc will be about something, rather than just another monsters-in-the-dark story. It might just be standard operating procedure for the Gorn to loot their dead enemies' ships, but I'd like to think that they were after something specific and not just attacking out of instinct.

Dr. Phlox said that most worlds with intelligent life usually produce more than one closely-related intelligent species, though they tend not to all survive. Maybe the TOS Arena Gorn are the rulers of their society, and the SNW Gorn are the soldiers. If the Metrons had let the crews pick their own champions for the big fight, Arena might have turned out very differently.

These Gorn do not seem like they can even fly or operate a spaceship or operate transporter beams. They are just like a bunch of alligators slithering around and don't even seem that they would be sitting in a captain's chair on their bridge or commanding a crew. And they certainly wouldn't have been wearing clothes. If the Gorn were like this when Captain Kirk fought one, he would have stood no chance and they would've laid their eggs in him.

I don't see what would've been wrong with having them more humanoid and created using modern make up and prosthetics. You don't get CGI Klingons or Cardassians. It should've been like a modern update on the original 60s design. This is now like the 90s Godzilla movie where it vastly updated the design but didn't look anything like him compared to the current Godzilla movies where it still looks like the design of the Japanese monster that was played by a man in a rubber suit but just with more expensive effects and a bigger budget and more realistic looking.

These Gorn do not seem like they can even fly or operate a spaceship or operate transporter beams. They are just like a bunch of alligators slithering around and don't even seem that they would be sitting in a captain's chair on their bridge or commanding a crew. And they certainly wouldn't have been wearing clothes. If the Gorn were like this when Captain Kirk fought one, he would have stood no chance and they would've laid their eggs in him.

I don't see what would've been wrong with having them more humanoid and created using modern make up and prosthetics. You don't get CGI Klingons or Cardassians. It should've been like a modern update on the original 60s design. This is now like the 90s Godzilla movie where it vastly updated the design but didn't look anything like him compared to the current Godzilla movies where it still looks like the design of the Japanese monster that was played by a man in a rubber suit but just with more expensive effects and a bigger budget and more realistic looking.

I don't think you can get more practical than being built by Legacy Effects Studio, Stan Winston's old company. And looking at the actual adult Gorn head, outside of the space suit, I think it is a great evolution of the Gorn. Yeah, a lot of the youngling Gorn are CGI, but there are physical puppets also used. And the Adult Gorn was practical, except for the tail for the most part. And we haven't seen many of the adult Gorn, just the young, feral Gorn. The one adult we have seen was shown poking around a destroyed Federation starship, trying to access its computer.

If its too big of a difference to you, than just think of what we've seen as the Remans to the Romulans.

Your Godzilla comparison is funny, what with Shin Godzilla, mainly the 2nd form, and the Singular Point forms being accepted.

Damn that was a nail-biting suspenseful finale. It's going to freaking suck having to wait for Season 3.

But from a Starfleet perspective, how can you in any way see some sort of rational defense in the Gorn's actions? Yes, that colony was out of Starfleet jurisdiction, but that colony had also been there for years. There was no way to no they were possibly violating Gorn territory. And even then you can't just set up a demarcation line like that and then start slaughtering thousands of innocent people and use them as food or breeding source. There's also no defense for the brutal genocide the Gorn committed against the unwilling colonists.

The Gorn here are much closer visually and in behavior to the Star Trek: The Video Game set in the Kelvin timeline and in-between Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness. They are borderline feral, vicious creatures. They are basically interstellar reptilian conquerors and slavers who aren't interested in diplomacy, even more brutal and feral than Klingons.

A nice and tense finale after a muscial episode. I love those tonal swings.

Really doing their best to set up "Arena" by talking about how they can't reason with the Gorn. And I am mostly liking what they are doing with the Gorn. A real alien enemy compared to the Romulans and Klingons. And we are beginning to see the intelligence of the Gorn beyond the more feral of their young. Sadly, I don't think the space suit really did a good job of letting us see what Legacy Effects created with their adult Gorn. I do recommend watching the Ready Room video of the finale. Not completely sold on the curved neck that has their head so far forward, though, but that is a thing they've been doing since ENT, so eh.

Surprised to see Scotty show up. Wasn't a fan of him showing up in this episode at first, but then he interacted with Pelia, and I need him all of next season. As I have realized this show likely has a 5 year plan, I have accepted the rest of the TOS crew will start slowly showing up. Just not this early.

Not gonna lie, when I first saw this at release, at 3 am EST, I had to really, really hold back my yell at the cliffhanger ending, so not to wake up my neighbors. Also, this is the first thing to make me personally invested in getting the strikes over, because Season 3 shooting was put on pause because of the WGA strike.

"you have not heard K Pop until you heard it in the original Klingon."
;)

Really doing their best to set up "Arena" by talking about how they can't reason with the Gorn. And I am mostly liking what they are doing with the Gorn. A real alien enemy compared to the Romulans and Klingons. And we are beginning to see the intelligence of the Gorn beyond the more feral of their young. Sadly, I don't think the space suit really did a good job of letting us see what Legacy Effects created with their adult Gorn. I do recommend watching the Ready Room video of the finale. Not completely sold on the curved neck that has their head so far forward, though, but that is a thing they've been doing since ENT, so eh.

Surprised to see Scotty show up. Wasn't a fan of him showing up in this episode at first, but then he interacted with Pelia, and I need him all of next season. As I have realized this show likely has a 5 year plan, I have accepted the rest of the TOS crew will start slowly showing up. Just not this early.

Not gonna lie, when I first saw this at release, at 3 am EST, I had to really, really hold back my yell at the cliffhanger ending, so not to wake up my neighbors. Also, this is the first thing to make me personally invested in getting the strikes over, because Season 3 shooting was put on pause because of the WGA strike.
I loved Scotty here. Martin Quinn was awesome in the role. Other not being as physically tough and tall in stature as Doohan, I thought he really felt like a younger Prime Scotty. The mannerisms like the crossed arms and stuff was spot-on.

I loved the classic Trek To Be Continued tag at the end.

Keep in mind in Arena they never actually reasoned with the Gorn. Kirk simply chose a non-violent path and showed mercy to the Gorn which impressed the Metrons. The Gorn disappeared and were never seen or heard from again after that. In the original series, they encountered a higher alien race with the power to intervene and control all of the characters. A literal deus ex machina.

In the video game they aren't reasoned with either and simply defeated.

I forgot about that game it was good I liked that they had all the movie main cast doing the voices and having bits of the movie score in it was a nice touch I may have ti dig out my PS3 lol

Scotty was such an awesome surprise! I never even heard that he'd been cast.

Rude of them to end it like that! Of course, they didn't know the strikes were coming when they did, but still. Rude!

Still liking this take on the Gorn. The wait for S3 will now be brutal.

have to say using the remains of a destroyed starship's saucer to take out enemies on the planet bellow is a baller move.

have to say using the remains of a destroyed starship's saucer to take out enemies on the planet bellow is a baller move.
Especially after confirmation that people could survive in the saucer wreckage basically uninjured and undetectable by sensors.

Especially after confirmation that people could survive in the saucer wreckage basically uninjured and undetectable by sensors.
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or even the one."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"