Jessica Jones Season 2, Episode 9 "AKA Shark in the Bathtub, Monster in the Bed"

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
Jessica_Jones_209_2_K.jpg

Discuss Episode 9 of Season 2, "AKA Shark in the Bathtub, Monster in the Bed" here.

ANY SPOILERS FOR EPISODES BEYOND THIS ONE MUST BE TAGGED.

Last edited:
Last season the "maybe the bad guy can be good, lets watch the domestic life of Jessica and the villain" episode was where the season jumped the shark for me.

Seeing the same scenario play out with this season's villain isn't exactly getting my hopes up.

^ I would argue it works much better in this context because it's Jessica's mother and because Jessica didn't have the same traumatic memories that she does with Killgrave. In last season's case, it's hard to really imagine that she'd be tempted to work with someone she detests so much. I buy the mother angle much more.

The A-plot was great this episode. But the other plots kinda sucked. I'm going to get those out of the way first so it doesn't look like I'm complaining about an episode I quite liked. First off, I hope the Hogarth plot is done. It's just dull and doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the story anymore. It's theoretically possible it'll come full circle, but it doesn't look that way. Likewise, Trish's story has completely gone off the rails. I don't think I gave up on her quite as early as everyone else, but this pushed me over the edge. I'm curious to see a description of what her Trish Talk segment was because I had it on mute. We've had several very special episodes through the Netflix series and this feels closer to the Ward Meechum story from Iron Fist than first season Malcolm's story. I'd also say Malcolm was missed this episode.

But I really enjoyed the Jessica and her mother story by the end. In particular, it worked well with the landlord and his kid story. Last season, when Luke asked for Jessica's help, it felt kind of tacked on. This was thematically important - a child shouldn't have his mother in jail. That made the ending all the more important for it. Jessica had the option to have her flee the country. And I don't think it's just a question of whether her mother should stand trial. It's that, if she goes free, more people will probably die. By the end, she realized that.

A grade is tricky. The B-Plots were a 3 at best, but I'd probably have given the A-plot a 5. I guess I gotta go with Four Stars.

They're not giving JJ an easier season after the Kilgrave trauma. She's going through a serious mental head**** again.

I’m just watching and wondering what exactly is the end goal of the season in terms of the villain.

Also, I don’t really buy Cheng willing to go that far.

I’m just watching and wondering what exactly is the end goal of the season in terms of the villain.

Also, I don’t really buy Cheng willing to go that far.

I'm with you on Cheng. That's a little over the top, knowing it could land you in jail. :(

I am so sick of hearing about Oscar's kid.

I hope that kid grows up to be Thanos.

Also, this episode had Trish Walker come to the dramatic realization that inhalers RUN OUT

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"