Series You Rank In Release Order

Punisher Rising

Mechanical Psychopath
Reaction score
Figured this was the right forum for this and not Misc Films (if it's not then the mods are free to move it there). Are there any movie series of any genre with at least three or more movies where your ranking for them is the release order they came out in? With the first being the best, the second being the second best, the third being the third best, etc.? A lot of user rankings for some movie series vary greatly, but how often do you rank any series in release order?

For me, some series I rank in the order they came out:

Jurassic Park
RoboCop
Iron Man (not counting The Avengers)
Child's Play
Paranormal Activity
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (live-action trilogy)

Nolan's Batman
Burton/Schumacher Batman if that counts
Raimi's Spider-Man
Back to the Future

The Burton/Schumacher Batman films definitely could if they're your pick. Seperate series entirely from Nolan's.

Figured this was the right forum for this and not Misc Films (if it's not then the mods are free to move it there). Are there any movie series of any genre with at least three or more movies where your ranking for them is the release order they came out in? With the first being the best, the second being the second best, the third being the third best, etc.? A lot of user rankings for some movie series vary greatly, but how often do you rank any series in release order?

For me, some series I rank in the order they came out:

Jurassic Park
RoboCop
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (live-action trilogy)

All of these plus Evil Dead and Lethal Weapon.

Iron Man was close but I like the third film more than the second.

Some more for me...

Major League (yes, there was a third and it was awful)
Revenge of the Nerds (first was great, second was ok, third was awful, and I think there was even a fourth)
Harold and Kumar
Blade (but 2 is a very close second)

Jurassic Park
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (if we're not counting TMNT)
Predator
Alien
The Matrix
Tremors
Austin Powers
Home Alone
Rush Hour
Naked Gun
The Mummy
The Neverending Story
The Santa Clause

Iron Man was close but I like the third film more than the second.

I have to see IM 2 and 3 again, I could like 3 more than 2 with repeat views. I liked 3 but I feel I need to see it a few more times for a finalized opinion.

Back to the Future
The Matrix
Ong-Bak

Ties:

Nolan's Batman (second two tie)
Blade (first two tie)
Austin Powers (first two tie)

I haven't seen Blade II yet, just the first and the third, and while the third doesn't seem too well-liked I actually enjoyed it a little more than the first (which I liked as well, I just thought 3 was more entertaining).

The Hangover series, definitely. First was a great comedy, second was pretty much the same movie but still funny, the third one was a disappointment.

Never seen any of The Hangover films but the sequels don't seem to be received too well from what I've seen.

Indiana Jones
Iron Man
Blade
Naked Gun
The Matrix
Hangover(never saw 2 or 3 but I have no doubt they pale compared to the first)
Jaws

Quite a few go that route.

Last edited:
I think I'll add my ratings per each movie in the series that go in release order for me:

Jurassic Park

1 - 10/10
2 - 8/10
3 - 6/10

RoboCop

1 - 10/10
2 - 9/10
3 - 1/10

Iron Man

1 - 9/10
2 - 8/10
3 - 7 or 8/10 (need to see again to determine)

Child's Play

1 - 9/10
2 - 9/10
3 - 8/10
4 - 7/10
5 - 4/10

Paranormal Activity

1 - 8/10
2 - 8/10
3 - 7/10
4 - 5/10

TMNT LA Trilogy

1 - 9/10
2 - 7/10
3 - 7/10

You all can do the same if you'd like.

It's crazy how so many franchises go down this path, then I see something like Fast and Furious, where the 5th movie is head and shoulders above anything that came before it, and the 6th is also better than 1-4.

I haven't seen any FATF movies past the second one. Didn't care for either but maybe I'll give them a shot again, someday.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:
1. 10/10 (I'm biased)
2. 7/10
3. 6/10

Superman (Chris Reeves Movies):
1. 10/10 (I strongly disagree with Matt *Muhaha*)
2. 9.5/10
3. 7/10
4. 6/10

Superman (1, 2, and Returns):
1. 10/10
2. 9.5/10
3. 8.5/10

Robocop:
1. 10/10
2. 9/10
3. 7/10

Terminator:
1. 10/10
2. 10/10 (the first still is more enjoyable though)
3. 6/10
Salvation is forgettable, I don't care to include it

Friday the 13th (they're all hilariously bad):
1. 8.5/10
2. 8.4/10
3. 8.2/10
4. 8.1/10
5. 8/10
6. 7.9/10
7. 7.8/10
8. 7.7/10
9 (to Hell). 7.6/10
Can't count the 10th (Freddy vs Jason) cause it's more fun than the rest

I think that's the first time I've seen the F13 movies ranked in descending order.

I just don't see how they can all be "hilariously bad" but still get 7.7-8.5 ratings.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Fridy the 13th movies. I grew up on those as my slasher film series of choice. It's funny watching them now because I don't find them scary at all, but I still love them.

I'm a softee when it comes to the F13s, they got me into Horror and movies in general, and I rate most of them pretty highly. They definitely don't go in release order for me though, I prefer a good chunk of the sequels.

One series I often see ranked by many in order of release is the remake Mummy trilogy. I only saw the first one and it's still a pretty entertaining movie, soon I'll get around to seeing the two sequels. Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor seems to be pretty poorly regarded.

Great thread idea.

The Matrix
movies come to mind instantly.
I haven't seen the 3rd Mummy film, but I loved the first and didn't care much for the second.
Back to the Future. Parts 2 and 3 are almost equal in my mind (with 2 being slightly better), but neither one is as great as the original.

Star Wars

Burton/Schumacher Batman

The Lord of the Rings

The Matrix

The Mummy

Pirates of the Caribbean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"