Shazam Shazam: Fury of the Gods General News and Discussion Thread

I mean, I dont think we need to start saying "this should have never been greenlit to begin with!!" guys. The first one was a modest hit, critics really liked it and so did most fans. It had the POTENTIAL to be something bigger, they just fumbled the execution in the follow up, plain and simple.

I am actually starting to think it should not have gotten a sequel...I don't think any version of this franchise was going to be anything but modest hits.

They should have rebooted after Batman v. Superman. That’s what they wanted to do. All of their successes since then have been lucky breaks within a flawed framework.

and honestly…. There’s no sign it’s getting better. WB execs have been the problem since day 1, and as long as the same people think they know better better, WB DC will continue to put out disappointments.

Looks like Sinbad (the comedian) was cut from the final film. I think he was supposed to be Tawky Tawny : The Tiger.

Remember Dc Fandom made a big deal with him and the poster?
62B7958F-D8DD-4B6E-B76C-51085CD2226A.jpeg
17DFA3AE-56C3-44F4-9E63-0A9D5A5062A0.jpeg

I think if Dwayne Johnson played nice and we got Black Adam as the villain in Shazam 2 like we should have, this movie would have been more successful...we also wouldn't have had to suffer Black Adam's mess of a movie.
I think Black Adam would have still happened but for sure his involvement would have boosted this movie more. Now it just seems like both Shazam movies and Black Adam were all for nothing.

I think Black Adam would have still happened but for sure his involvement would have boosted this movie more. Now it just seems like both Shazam movies and Black Adam were all for nothing.
I agree on Black Adam happening regardless, I just wish it would have released after Shazam 2. For some reason, I think Sandberg would have handled Adam's character better than what we got and given him a better foundation for his solo movie. I think most fans were expecting Adam to start as a villain with his own sense of nobility and ethics in Shazam 2...if not, I sure as hell was. :whoops:

I agree on Black Adam happening regardless, I just wish it would have released after Shazam 2. For some reason, I think Sandberg would have handled Adam's character better than what we got and given him a better foundation for his solo movie. I think most fans were expecting Adam to start as a villain with his own sense of nobility and ethics in Shazam 2...if not, I sure as hell was. :whoops:
I would've figured they'd have followed a similar path that BvS or Godzilla vs. Kong did where they fight each other until a greater threat comes along and prompts them to join forces. Nothing original but at least it would have been entertaining.

I do think had the villain of this been Black Adam, it would have performed better. Logic says Black Adam should have been in either 1 or 2 and then gotten his own solo. How they did it I think hurt both stories, and thus both movies

But would Black Adam alone had made this a 600 mil grossing film? That I doubt. The movie would had to have been very good on top of that

One a more positive note, Sandberg seems to be happy that he's now out of the superhero game.

But would Black Adam alone had made this a 600 mil grossing film? That I doubt. The movie would had to have been very good on top of that

It would’ve had a much better chance at least. You’re right about the the quality in the end.

But Black Adam alone opened to 67M, so it wouldn’t be crazy to think that him being the villain of Shazam 2 could’ve helped it open to at least 80M+ and we wouldn’t be talking about its low opening at this point.

Sandberg never wanted to include Black Adam in Shazam 2 anyway (but he does acknowledge that it would have made more money),

Shazam: Fury of the Gods: David Sandberg on Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman – The Hollywood Reporter

Neither of your movies ultimately needed Black Adam (Dwayne Johnson), but are you disappointed at all that you didn’t get to explore Shazam and Black Adam’s relationship in a meaningful capacity?

No, not really. The thing about Black Adam is that he has the same powers as Shazam, and we did that in the first movie where we gave Sivana [Mark Strong] the same power. So I don’t think the fight itself would’ve been super interesting, but I do think it’s a missed opportunity. What makes the most sense is to have them fight each other, so it’s money left on the table. But it’s how it is.

I do think had the villain of this been Black Adam, it would have performed better. Logic says Black Adam should have been in either 1 or 2 and then gotten his own solo. How they did it I think hurt both stories, and thus both movies

Handling this the way they did turned off fan support from the beginning - and they needed it in this case. I also think the marketing wasn’t ideal for either of the 2 Shazam films, for different reasons in each case (limited tone underselling the film for the first, waiting too late to start the blitz at least in the UK).

One a more positive note, Sandberg seems to be happy that he's now out of the superhero game.

One thing I’ve really been looking forward to is disconnecting from the superhero discourse online. A lot of that stresses me out so much...

He's talking to some you in this very forum.

There were some good elements about Black Adam, mainly the JSA. The saddest part of all is that we’re not getting any more of Aldis Hodge’s Hawkman or Pierce Brosnan’s Dr. Fate.
I liked the JSA a lot. This film would have been another 2 points out of 10 lower for me without them. Those 2 were great, definitely wanted to see more (maybe wouldn’t have expected to with Brosnan).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"