Arrow Arrow General Discussion thread for People still enjoying the show

coluanprime

Sidekick
Reaction score
Thread Rules:
I understand that Arrow has upset many viewers. I can see why viewers are upset, though I personally disagree with their arguments. However, the general unpleasantness surrounding the show has made it impossible for people who still enjoy the show to actually discuss it, without having to deal with unrelated complaints.
Therefore this thread is for people who want to discuss the show positively. This isn't a thread for people to reply that the show sucks and say "there isn't anything good left in the show" or "Felicity sucks" or "Guggenheim is an awful writer". If you don't want to discuss the actual show and not your complaints, DO NOT POST HERE.
(You still have the general discussion thread and the episode thread, don't worry!)

With that out of the way:
1) How long do we think Diggle's service is going to last? 3 Months?
2) Would anyone else be interested in having Audrey Marie Anderson (Lyla) join the regular cast?
3) General season 5 speculation? What do you think Oliver's arc will look like? Thea's? Curtis'? Felicity's?

I do still enjoy the show despite its flaws, and I'm willing to see the good parts in even the worst episodes. I look forward to S5 and hope to see great improvements in the show next year.

1) Diggle's tour would have to be a bit longer than 3 months, I think. I'd assume he'll still be gone when S5 starts so that's at least 6 months, right there.
2) I think Lyla deserves a spot in the main cast at this point. She's been recurring since S1 and a regular since S3.
3) We know Oliver's arc will apparently involve a "Daredevil vs. Punisher" esque conflict with another vigilante. The others, I couldn't begin to say yet what their arc will involve.

I have been doing a lot of moaning and groaning, as well as whining and crying about the show myself, but there are still things that I like about it and enjoy discussing.

1. I think Diggle will re-join the team within the first few episodes, so 5-6 months.

2. I like Lyla, but I want her role to remain similar to how it is right now. I think there are too many characters that they are struggling to fit in as it is, so another character added in will cause more problems IMO. Oliver, Diggle and Thea (and Laurel if she were still around) should receive most of the focus IMO. While they had storylines and arcs last year, I still do not think Thea and Diggle (or Laurel) had enough of them. There were long periods of time where they did not have much to do. I really hope that is not the case next year.

3. I think Oliver's arc will have him move further towards becoming a hero in the light. He made great strides towards that this year, but as we saw in the finale with how he dealt with Darhk, there is still progress to be made. I think Thea's arc will be similar, with her becoming more of a hero in the light. That is, unless they decide to do the opposite and have her become more like Malcolm rather than her brother. That would be quite interesting too, I must say. I think Diggle will try to clear his head after what happened with his brother, and go back to being the wisest member of the group and the voice of reason. Oliver and Laurel took up that role at various times last season, due to Diggle not thinking clearly because of his brother.

I think the villain of season 5 has big shoes to fill, as Darhk was an excellent villain and is up there with Slade and Reverse-Flash as the best villains in this universe.

Last edited:
I think the villain of season 5 has big shoes to fill, as Darhk was an excellent villain and is up there with Slade an Reverse-Flash as the best villains in this universe.

Agreed. I think they should go back to the old formula, though, and not introduce this villain until the mid-season finale. For the first half of the season, have Oliver working against this new darker vigilante, and then in the mid-season finale have the Big Bad come in at the end. In the second half of the season Oliver and the other vigilante will be forced to reconcile and work together to take this guy out. This is what I hope happens but I'm open to other avenues, too.

Interesting how CW Arrow and BVS both require 'Positivity Threads'

Interesting.
Interesting how you're ignoring the thread rules...

2. I like Lyla, but I want her role to remain similar to how it is right now. I think there are too many characters that they are struggling to fit in as it is, so another character added in will cause more problems IMO. Oliver, Diggle and Thea (and Laurel if she were still around) should receive most of the focus IMO. While they had storylines and arcs last year, I still do not think Thea and Diggle (or Laurel) had enough of them. There were long periods of time where they did not have much to do. I really hope that is not the case next year.
I see your point. Though I was sad to see Laurel go, I have to admit that the season has flowed a lot better. The arrow cave was simply too crowded, and someone needed to go. That sad, I would enjoy seeing her guest star more frequently. Maybe she could have a spotlight episode to rescue Diggle or something? People always complain about the 23 episode season requiring plot to be stretched out, but I've always thought that it allowed for the creative team to do good character episodes (and good filler, which I guess if it's good, it isn't thriller).

Last edited:
Interesting how CW Arrow and BVS both require 'Positivity Threads'

Interesting.

Interesting how you used the word interesting twice. Interesting.

I personally don't want a positivity thread. I don't get why people who are miserable watching the show are still watching it. I'd suggest they save themselves the heartache. I think that would improve the happiness of everyone (including them). It's one thing with BvS, which is a single movie you don't know what to expect going in. People know what to expect with Arrow now.

I find it passable entertainment with obvious flaws. I still maintain season four is better than season three, but both aren't very good. I'm indifferent to the Olicity thing. I don't want it emphasized, but I don't understand the vitriol (it's to the point where scenes that fit the story and, in context, aren't very Felicity-centered are met with "Felicity sucks."). But I liked about 3/4 of the finale. If I completely hated it, I'd skip next season. I don't so I'll watch it when it airs.

ETA: For example, what the Reddit page did is just insulting. There's a Daredevil forum for Daredevil. People who hate Arrow right now can go there. However, people who still genuinely like Arrow or *gasp* love Arrow are left out. If the people running the subreddit don't like it, turn it over to someone who does.

I personally don't want a positivity thread. I don't get why people who are miserable watching the show are still watching it. I'd suggest they save themselves the heartache. I think that would improve the happiness of everyone (including them). It's one thing with BvS, which is a single movie you don't know what to expect going in. People know what to expect with Arrow now.
I agree, but that hasn't happened. I figured this was the best solution...

Eh, if I felt like giving my thoughts, I'd probably put it in the other thread. I still don't like the idea of separating them out.

But, seriously, that subreddit really bothers me. I'm glad this forum hasn't tried to pull that crap.

I'm curious. What about the show do you guys like?

Do you guys like characters like Thea, Laurel, Felicity, Diggle? If so, why? Do you like the action?

Last edited:
I dont want to derail this thread but when something requires a separate thread where people are prevented from giving their honest opinions and are bound b thread rules to just praise something then that is a sign of delusion and denial. BvS suffers from the same, meaningful conversations with substance cannot be held in such an environment. Therefore utterly defeating the point of a "discussion"
I would advise you to rename this as Arrow appreciation thread, it's more honest that way and you'd still get what you wanted. A discussion thread should not exclude people from actual discussion.

Interesting how you used the word interesting twice. Interesting.

I find it passable entertainment with obvious flaws. I still maintain season four is better than season three, but both aren't very good. I'm indifferent to the Olicity thing. I don't want it emphasized, but I don't understand the vitriol (it's to the point where scenes that fit the story and, in context, aren't very Felicity-centered are met with "Felicity sucks."). But I liked about 3/4 of the finale. If I completely hated it, I'd skip next season. I don't so I'll watch it when it airs.

ETA: For example, what the Reddit page did is just insulting. There's a Daredevil forum for Daredevil. People who hate Arrow right now can go there. However, people who still genuinely like Arrow or *gasp* love Arrow are left out. If the people running the subreddit don't like it, turn it over to someone who does.
The majority of the threads of the subreddit still speak about Arrow( in a negative way, because the majority on this subreddit dislike it.)

Putting Daredevil is just a joke, they put in response to the show's quality.
The majority of this subreddit approve the move, it got 5866 upvote for the Daredevil's thread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Arrow

And anyways, there's another smaller subreddit about Arrow kinda like this thread that was created a couple months ago to speak positively about the show:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CWArrow/

2) Would anyone else be interested in having Audrey Marie Anderson (Lyla) join the regular cast?
3) General season 5 speculation? What do you think Oliver's arc will look like? Thea's? Curtis'? Felicity's?

1. Diggle is going to have to serve a while unless he's injured during deployment. I think he'll be out for the first half of the season and come back after the winter finale or at the end of the winter finale.

2. Maybe for the first half of the season, have her and Felicity in the command center and lead Oliver like Diggle and Felicity did early on. Let Oliver do things on his own to start off.

3. I think they need to pull a Gotham this season. Split the season in two essentially. Instead of one big bad, make it two. The big bad in the second half could essentially be behind everything when it comes down to it, but don't have that villain be the centralized villain all season. Maybe use Onomatopoeia this season for the second half, with the first half be the "Daredevil vs Punisher" thing they have rumored. They could also bring back China White because if I remember correctly, she's still alive.

I dont want to derail this thread but when something requires a separate thread where people are prevented from giving their honest opinions and are bound b thread rules to just praise something then that is a sign of delusion and denial. BvS suffers from the same, meaningful conversations with substance cannot be held in such an environment. Therefore utterly defeating the point of a "discussion"
I would advise you to rename this as Arrow appreciation thread, it's more honest that way and you'd still get what you wanted. A discussion thread should not exclude people from actual discussion.

There are people that give their honest opinions and then there are the people who go out of their way to go to the thread for "arrow sucks" "I stopped watching 3 weeks ago but this sucks" which is just pointless posts to get through to have a discussion. So it works both ways.

How about this idea.....use this thread to talk about what you like about the TV show ARROW instead of using it to complain about the people who don't like it.

I don't get why people who are miserable watching the show are still watching it. I'd suggest they save themselves the heartache. I think that would improve the happiness of everyone (including them).

If everybody that was unhappy with the current series stopped watching it, the ratings would tank, and it would have to be cancelled. I don't think that would improve the happiness of the people still enjoying it.

Honestly? People are still watching it because they're invested in it. They spent 2+ seasons really liking or loving it, and now they desperately want to see it return to the show they loved.

I'm kinda sad this thread has to exist, but I understand it. People don't seem to have the ability to have reasonable discussions about both good and bad. When they've given up hope, it's just become "arrow sucks" "kill felicity" etc.
As if when a show has things you don't like, it means it immediately loses all redeeming qualities. Arrow still has some.

Here's an interesting question:
Do you guys think Rebirth will affect the show at all?

The first season was a loose adaptation of Jock's "Year One" book (at least for the flashbacks) The rest of the show seemed to follow the New 52 Ollie.
Now that DC comics seems to be doing a "return to form" of making him a liberal justice warrior", I wonder if we'll see any of that in our Oliver.

That's something i've wanted from day one, was to have Oliver do more street level stuff. See people in need and help them. Take on both super villains and crime bosses, but also corrupt corporate fatcats and slumlords and stuff.

I still like the show.

I'd be cool with Lyla replacing Quentin as the non-vigilante law enforcement resource type character. I don't think she'd be anything else, since she's still the head of A.R.G.U.S.

If everybody that was unhappy with the current series stopped watching it, the ratings would tank, and it would have to be cancelled. I don't think that would improve the happiness of the people still enjoying it.

Eh, that's only true if those people have Nielsen boxes.

So Green Arrow's going to be "meaner." I assume that means that he'll fight harder. That doesn't necessarily mean the character will be darker, though. All that indicates to me is that maybe they're stepping the fight scenes back up to where they were in S1, which would be a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

Lyla really does need to be brought in more, as the head of argus she could do a lot for GA and the gang. As for Curtis I think this season his fiancé (or maybe if they've already gotten married, Husband) will get killed like he does in the comics giving him the impetus to really have a go at being a hero, it would actually be interesting if they show the wedding a little in the first episode in order to start showing personal lives again in the show as Oliver and felicity would be at his wedding due to being his friends.

Last edited:
I see your point. Though I was sad to see Laurel go, I have to admit that the season has flowed a lot better. The arrow cave was simply too crowded, and someone needed to go. That sad, I would enjoy seeing her guest star more frequently. Maybe she could have a spotlight episode to rescue Diggle or something? People always complain about the 23 episode season requiring plot to be stretched out, but I've always thought that it allowed for the creative team to do good character episodes (and good filler, which I guess if it's good, it isn't thriller).

I disagree with a few small changes they could have kept the whole team and made it work very well.

Last edited:
Lyla really does need to be brought in more, as the head of argus she could do a lot for GA and the gang. As for Curtis I think this season his fiancé (or maybe if they've already gotten married, Husband) will get killed like he does in the comics giving him the impetus to really have a go at being a hero, it would actually be interesting if they show the wedding a little in the first episode in order to start showing personal lives again in the show as Oliver and felicity would be at his wedding due to being his friends.

Curtis and Paul are already married. He still could die, but there definitely won't be a wedding, because Curtis says "husband" multiple times, not "fiancé." And when he first met Oliver, he said to himself "You're married, he's straight. You're married, he's straight." So yeah, they're already married. It is a possibility Paul could die, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"