The General Marvel Discussion Thread

Hawkingbird

I want to be Kate Bishop
Reaction score
I can just see this becoming a flop, but it's worth a try :woot:.
I found that there's no place to just discuss the comics, without having to stick to a general subject. I love discussing the writers, characters, plots ect. , so here;s the place to do so :)

I'll start of with what's been on my mind (not the best idea, I'm two years behind so I don't know the story behind this)...
WHAT IS WITH HAWKEYE AND BLACK WIDOW HOOKING UP?!
He's with Jessica and she's with Bucky?! Is this out of continuity?! What about A V X?! Ah!
(And no, this does not belong in the question thread, I'm starting things off).

To be honest, I'm not sure if they'll allow a chat thread as that could devolve into all kinds of sillyness. I'm sure this question of yours would work in one of the other threads.

Eh, I'll allow it until/unless people's behavior suggests it shouldn't be allowed.

Regarding Black Widow and Hawkeye, it's irritating but really no worse than the typical soap opera stuff that's always gone on in superhero comics. The weird thing to me is that Natasha initiated the kiss because... Hawkeye tended to her wound. Seriously, she's that much of an insecure, damaged child at this point that simply showing a hint of care is enough to make her lose control and shove her tongue down Clint's throat? Odd, especially since the Avengers Assemble series is supposed to be for movie viewers that may be new to comics. So they come off a movie where Natasha's shown as hyper-capable, self-assured, and otherwise badass and are treated to a scene where she melts because Clint tended to her boo-boo. Brilliant marketing synergy.

Is that why she kissed him? Good god in heaven Bendis, way too make one of the strongest women in Marvel look like an insecure high school girl....:facepalm:

(and to think, I was complimenting you in the B/T.......bastard!)

Eh, I'll allow it until/unless people's behavior suggests it shouldn't be allowed.

Regarding Black Widow and Hawkeye, it's irritating but really no worse than the typical soap opera stuff that's always gone on in superhero comics. The weird thing to me is that Natasha initiated the kiss because... Hawkeye tended to her wound. Seriously, she's that much of an insecure, damaged child at this point that simply showing a hint of care is enough to make her lose control and shove her tongue down Clint's throat? Odd, especially since the Avengers Assemble series is supposed to be for movie viewers that may be new to comics. So they come off a movie where Natasha's shown as hyper-capable, self-assured, and otherwise badass and are treated to a scene where she melts because Clint tended to her boo-boo. Brilliant marketing synergy.

Like..for real? That is pretty terrible. :doh:

Oh god. I love Bendis sometimes. It's weird. Sometimes, I'll read his stuff (Secret Invasion, New Avengers, Siege) and be like "Woah that was amazing!" But sometimes, when I read stuff like the Infinity Gaulet story line in Heroric Age or half the stuff in Civil War (granted, the other half was good), and just be astounded by his awfulness.

Mark Millar wrote Civil War, but the confusion is understandable. They're both pretty awful a lot of the time. :oldrazz:

With the exception of Annihilation, has there been any GOOD events from Marvel? Not really, the highest they ever got was tolerable.

Siege was almost good. Until you think about what actually happened in it and it all falls apart. :csad:

SIEGE was tolerable in my eyes. AvX has small potential to be tolerable if it has a real, REAL REAL strong last 4 issues.

Is it cool to post cover art, and preview art here?

Anyone else excited about Rick Remender's new Secret Avengers arc? It's staring his new Masters of Evil, and is the start of the new artist on the book Matteo Scalera, whose art I think is really cool.
Here's the cover art for the issue.
secavn2010029_dc11_lr_0001.jpg

secavn2010029_int_lr_0002-3.jpg

Also Greg Pak did the new upcoming Doctor Strange:Season One, and that looks really good. Here's a interview with him:http://www.newsarama.com/comics/doctor-strange-season-one-greg-pak.html

Here's the cover art:
doctorstrangeS1_02.jpg

Secret Avengers does look pretty good but I've already dropped it. It's good to see the dangling plot thread of John Steele picked up on though.

Secret Avengers does look pretty good but I've already dropped it. It's good to see the dangling plot thread of John Steele picked up on though.
I hope Remender finishes up the Shadow Council story pretty soon. I was never all that interested in it.

Did you drop it before Remender became writer or during his run so far?

I hope Remender finishes up the Shadow Council story pretty soon. I was never all that interested in it.
I agree, hopefully he finishes up that story line, and can move on to do what he wants. Brubaker kind of just left that story unfinished for someone else to finish, but I think Remender will end it in a good way.

I'm waiting for this arc in tpb, but it looks good so far.
capaand2012634_dc11_lr_0001.jpg

Anyone reading Dark Avengers? They redid the cover, this isn't the one they showed in the solicits, but I like it better.
drkaven2012178_dc11_lr_0001.jpg

Dark Avengers has been pretty much Thunderbolts, which is to say quite good. I like how Cage keeps reminding Ragnarok that he ain't Thor and his fake hammer is second-rate. :D That spider-god dude is kind of a wuss, though.

Re: Bendis' writing, I used to like him, but he has pulled too many stupid, not thought out ploys as of late that I am starting to feel he needs to take a break because he has run out of ideas.

The Widow/Hawkeye thing is just the latest in a string of bad, not fully conceptualized stories:

Death of Ultimate Spidey/Miles Morales as the new Ultimate Spidey: half baked concept and he left too many possibly good stories untouched due to Peter's death. Miles' link to the Spider-Man mythos is just too flimsy and Miles himself just doesn't really fit the role.

Spider-Men: GAH...Proof POSITIVE that Bendis has run out of ideas...also this screams of a "band aid" to the above storyline. Bendis trying to fix his mistake and give Miles a "proper" intro into the Spider-Man lore.

616 Spidey in Avengers: Bendis IGNORES the true nature of Peter Parker and all the advancements that have been made in the character over the years and makes him the dopey slapstick comic relief. I gave up New Avengers because it was just too hard to believe that Spidey was the same Spidey from ASM.

Maybe Bendis just needs time away from Spidey, but the Widow/Hawkeye thing just proves he does not get how to properly portray characters as they have been written.

Marvel USED TO be known as "The House of Ideas", Bendis has thrown that tagline into the mud.

Last edited:
Dark Avenger is still the Thunderbolts, it just added a few new characters. Nothing really changed too much, which I like.

Did you drop it before Remender became writer or during his run so far?

I actually just dropped it as of last issue. I collected it through Brubaker's run and was so bored by it by then that I just quit. I tried the first two issues of Spencer's run but lost interest shortly after that and didn't come back until Remender came on. It started well but didn't wow me or anything. Then the AvX arc just absolutely killed it for me. I was debating on continuing but I needed to drop a lot of books so it got the official cut.

Dark Avengers has been pretty much Thunderbolts, which is to say quite good. I like how Cage keeps reminding Ragnarok that he ain't Thor and his fake hammer is second-rate. :D That spider-god dude is kind of a wuss, though.
Yeah, it's just a name change. I'm glad that the creative team stayed the same. I hope they're still on the book for the Marvel Now stuff. I'd rather it just stay Thunderbolts, and be done with this Dark Avengers stuff. I guess though by having it as DA that it sells more maybe, but leave it Thunderbolts finally. I like Cage as leader, so I'm interested to hear more about what Marvel has planned for the book.

I actually just dropped it as of last issue. I collected it through Brubaker's run and was so bored by it by then that I just quit. I tried the first two issues of Spencer's run but lost interest shortly after that and didn't come back until Remender came on. It started well but didn't wow me or anything. Then the AvX arc just absolutely killed it for me. I was debating on continuing but I needed to drop a lot of books so it got the official cut.
Brubaker's original story started out kind of slow anyway, and it was advertised as Secret Avengers, but it kind of turned out to be just Steve Rogers, and friends. Remender is going to be tieing up a lot of Brubaker's story lines it seems like. I agree though, that the AvX arc killed a lot of the pacing that Remender had built up, and was just an unnecessary story that shouldn't have been in SA. Do you think you'll check out the rest of Remender's arc/run in tpb though?

Siege was brilliant :o
Yeah, if we're talking about the art:woot:

I. Do. Too.

Fives said:
Do you think you'll check out the rest of Remender's arc/run in tpb though?

No, I probably won't. I'm trying to lesson the amount of books I buy to get to a more financially beneficial place.

I. Like. Bendis.
I actually do like some of his work. I think his first half of his work at Marvel was better then some of his current work. I don't think he should have been writing two Avengers books for as long as he did. He should have just focused on either the normal Avengers or his NA. I liked that Siege was only 4 issues, and wasn't 6 of 12 like AvX.

Did you like his DD? People always say that was one of his better books.

I. Do. Too.

No, I probably won't. I'm trying to lesson the amount of books I buy to get to a more financially beneficial place.
No problem man, I was just curious. It's hard to get a lot of comics now a days because it all adds up to a lot every month unfortunately.

I'm interested to hear more about his Marvel Now work.

I know you like Bendis Hobbit :p
And no I haven't but I agree, I think at Heroic Age he began to faulter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"