The General Marvel Discussion Thread

I actually do like some of his work. I think his first half of his work at Marvel was better then some of his current work. I don't think he should have been writing two Avengers books for as long as he did. He should have just focused on either the normal Avengers or his NA. I liked that Siege was only 4 issues, and wasn't 6 of 12 like AvX.

I'm cool with him writing more than one book as long as he writes them individually. He said in an interview on Newsarama today that he is starting with 1 X-Men book but is approaching it like with Avengers where that'll eventually swing into more (and sooner rather than later). So expect his hold on X-Men to broaden as whatever story he's telling grows.

Did you like his DD? People always say that was one of his better books.

I LOVED his DD run. It's actually the first run to EVER pull me into that book and it got me to stick with it through the Brubaker/Diggles years as well. That was the book that made me like Bendis.

No problem man, I was just curious. It's hard to get a lot of comics now a days because it all adds up to a lot every month unfortunately.

Yeah. If all books were still $2.99 I'd be able to keep all the books I like but I just can't. Secret Avengers was on the last line of cuts but ultimately I decided it had to go. I'll likely skim every issue at the shop though so I know how it all played out. I do miss it some though. I loved a lot of the characters, namely Beast, Captain Britain, Venom, and Ant Man.

I'm excited to see a new writer take over Avengers...even if I won't read him/her for another 2 years :o

I'll give Hickman a try. Can't be worse than Bendis, after all. ;)

Same here. I'm not high on NOW but I've been pretty desperate to read an Avengers book by someone other than Bendis for a long time now.......since 2003. :o

I'm not planning on picking up Hickman's Avengers for the same reason I'm not buying Amazing Spider-Man... $8 a month. His New Avengers depends on the cast.

I'm curious to see what this solid reason for the New Avengers to exist he keeps talking about will be. Depending on that and the roster, I may think about picking that series up too.

In your opinion, who are the top 10 most popular Marvel characters right now?

This is the order that I have:

1) Spider-Man

2) X-Men (they are usually portrayed as a team)

3) The Fantastic Four (always a team)

4) Captain America

5) Hulk

6) Iron Man

7) Thor

8) Silver Surfer

9) Daredevil

10) Ghostrider

I'm curious what other people think.

I thought this would fit the thread. I have a fellow coworker/boss at work who loves comics and we talk about them from time to time. He is a big deadpool fan but stoped reading deadpool book around the early 30s issues. I was wondering if any one can pm me some basic plot points/story beats from around issue 30 to what ever deadpool is up to know. Coworker just wanted to know what's been up with the book.

I don't read it but for clarification... is that the current Deadpool run or the one that started back in '97?

I'll give Hickman a try. Can't be worse than Bendis, after all. ;)

tumblr_m6xcwxv3ja1rsbg72.gif

Bendis had a good run!

I'm pondering whether to start buying Hawkeye's October run online. The CEs in Britain are like two years behind and I can't wait to see Hawkeye and Hawkeye together. How much are they? And is it still happening after....
Marvel Now
tumblr_m2dsieyBPi1qf3gmto1_250.gif

Bendis did not have a good run. The best word to describe his run is Polarizing. :up:

Well since my coworker said he stoped deadpool in issue 30s range my guess would be the 97 start run. With how many issues per yr it takes with only one maybe two issues a month. But if there is two current/modern runs any info from both would be great.

I thought this would fit the thread. I have a fellow coworker/boss at work who loves comics and we talk about them from time to time. He is a big deadpool fan but stoped reading deadpool book around the early 30s issues. I was wondering if any one can pm me some basic plot points/story beats from around issue 30 to what ever deadpool is up to know. Coworker just wanted to know what's been up with the book.

I'd try Wikipedia or the Marvel wiki page. There may be others like them if you Google "Deadpool wiki".

I really don't know where to go that is why I was asking if there was any users here who could at least give story breakdown/bullet points from book so I could pass info along to coworker. Cause I not sure as I said when he ended reading and if there been a couple runs in past feew yrrs which he was on.

JMS On The Modern Trend Of Big Events At Marvel

On his 6-year Amazing Spider-Man run and disillusionment with Marvel "Big Events"---

JMS: I tried to call it ‘The Barely Adequate Spider-Man’, but that didn’t do so well. (laughs).... I was able to do all sorts of stuff I wanted to do [speaking on his work in television]. The problem with my tenure at Marvel is the fact that they started to get more and more event oriented.

I’m all for crossovers if they benefit the individual books. But it was feeling more and more like the individual characters were being bent towards the event in ways I didn’t think were appropriate. I mean to make Reed Richards a bad guy in Civil War… I just never bought into that. And that Captain America would surrender to a mob? I never bought into that. The more you have characters doing things that they wouldn’t do, because you want it for an event, I just had an increasingly hard time with that. And you can see why after a while, I pulled back from that. Which is why I hid in Thor. I said, ‘I’ll do this book but don’t touch me with the other events.’ It was a character that nobody wanted to write because nobody knew how do deal with him. They offered it to Mark Millar, who ran screaming into the night, they offered it to Neil Gaiman. I said, ‘I’ll write him.’ And my idea was, ‘leave me the hell alone.’ Just write this character.... And every [Thor issue] we did was in the top 10 every single month. There wasn’t much action. It was just the character story. ‘Great, I can finally be left alone.’ And then, ‘We’re doing Siege of Asgard.’ ‘[frick], really? No one wanted to touch this character two years ago, and now you want to make an event around him?’

I called [Marvel Publisher] Dan Buckley and said, ‘I heard what your plans are for this. Everything I’ve done, it’s going to be shot to hell.’ Similar to how Spider-Man was shot to hell with One More Day, which was Joe Quesada’s thing. And that’s when I said, ‘I just can’t do this anymore.’
From Collider interview.

Love him or hate him his got a point with the big crossover events.

Bendis did not have a good run. The best word to describe his run is Polarizing. :up:

Bendis had a fantastic run. Some lulls mixed in but overall a very satisfying read in my opinion.

Busiek nor Johns could get me to care enough to stick beyond an issue or two. Even what I had previously considered the best run back in the 90's by Harris I think (the Proctor era) only had me spiratically in plots having to do with Proctor himself. Bendis sucked me in and kept me glued for, what, 9 years? That's saying something.

I personally believe people just got it in their heads that he was the WORST WRITER TO EVER PICK UP A PEN that they let it cloud their judgement. He wasn't perfect by any means and definately not up to the hype that Marvel hypes him up to be, but he was good. The fact that there are people around here who either A) have never read his Avengers, or B) have not read his Avengers in YEARS still complain that he's killing the franchise and that he's horrible, etc. shows that people are caught up in the hype of how "bad" he is and aren't really looking at his work for the quality it may or may not be.

Anti-Bendis is a popular fad.

Bendis had a fantastic run. Some lulls mixed in but overall a very satisfying read in my opinion.

Busiek nor Johns could get me to care enough to stick beyond an issue or two. Even what I had previously considered the best run back in the 90's by Harris I think (the Proctor era) only had me spiratically in plots having to do with Proctor himself. Bendis sucked me in and kept me glued for, what, 9 years? That's saying something.

I personally believe people just got it in their heads that he was the WORST WRITER TO EVER PICK UP A PEN that they let it cloud their judgement. He wasn't perfect by any means and definately not up to the hype that Marvel hypes him up to be, but he was good. The fact that there are people around here who either A) have never read his Avengers, or B) have not read his Avengers in YEARS still complain that he's killing the franchise and that he's horrible, etc. shows that people are caught up in the hype of how "bad" he is and aren't really looking at his work for the quality it may or may not be.

Anti-Bendis is a popular fad.

I would never consider Bendis the worst writer to ever pick up a pen. I've applauded a lot of his work. DD, Alias, Dark Avengers, SIEGE. But some of his stuff has not been good. Namely, 90% of his Avengers work.

Have you read 90% of his Avengers work?

Pretty much. I dropped the recent volume of the Avengers in the second arc and dropped the latest volume of New Avengers around Fear Itself. Prior to that I had read all of the first volume of New Avengers and his stint on Mighty Avengers.

Some interesting comments from jms on events stories.

Also for fellow collectors I wanted to ask this. I am deciding from moving my comics from baggy/in boxs I have stored in my room. To putting them into some big three ring binders, so I would condense the space I have my comics stored in. And I was wondering what type of sheet protectors for three ring binders would be the best to use to protect the comics.

I hate it when people I consider *****ebags are right about something but JMS made a good point.

Hopefully no one is around with a tape recorder when Matt Fraction comes up with any words of wisdom.

Ya I never much cared for jms myself and hated some of his spidey run(though most/part of blame could be more on joe q) but he did have some good views.

As I asked above has any one else stored there commics in binders/sheet protectors. If so what is they best type of sheet protectors you have used. Just wanted to see what others are doing for storage means.

The first half of JMS' run was terrific but really got terrible when editorial mandates got in the way. From what it sounds, he didn't have as much creative control as he would have liked but held on anyway. He probably held on way too long.

And for your binder idea, you may want to call a comic shop on that one. It's not a very conventional method of comic storage compared to the bag and board method and may prove to be a bit expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"