Sherlock Holmes Enters the Public Domain

Edit.

(And do most of your posts at home. Seriously what's your boss paying you for? :o )

Well I've tried to edit thread titles before and it wouldn't let me. And we do inbound calls at work so I post on the down time. Still lead the room in sales today, 3rd time this week. I'm a sales machine haha

Oh good, I can write him into my next low-budget film.

I thought Sherlock Holmes was already public domain.

I wrote a Sherlock Holmes story about 7 years ago.

…………….

I thought it was good. :o

No worries Triple J! I always find it funny when one of my old post survived the day of reckoning and someone post in them.

Great now were going to get a barrage of movies
zlofis.jpg

and TV shows at the same time
10dhbie.jpg

Randomly and unfaithfully interpreting the material
11jyqrq.jpg

Outrageously inserting them into any fiction
tng2-03.jpg

derivative cartoons
2a8lzpz.jpg

and comics
2742191-holmes_batman.jpg

Oh wait, all that was already hapening:oldrazz:

Last edited:
Rob Zombie will direct a redneck version of Sherlock Holmes starring his wife as the love interest for Holmes and a female version of Watson.

It's already happening. Star Wars will not be in the public domain until sometime in the 2200's I believe. Yep. The year two thousand and two hundred.

When will Superman become public domain? Superman was created back in 1933, so he will turn 100 in just 19 more years.

When will Superman become public domain? Superman was created back in 1933, so he will turn 100 in just 19 more years.
Not sure how it works, don't they go by day of first publication? If so Superman 1938, he has to get in line behind (just to name a few favorites:oldrazz:) :

1887 - Sherlock Holmes
1897 - Dracula
1897 - The Invisible Man
1898 - The War of the Worlds
1898 - The Black Corsair
1900 - Dorothy Gale, Wizard of Oz
1903 - The Scarlet Pimpernel
1904 - Rima Green Mansions
1909 - The Phantom of the Opera
1911 - Fantômas
1912 - Tarzan
1912 - John Carter
1915 - Doctor Syn
1916 - Judex
1919 - Zorro
1926 - The Bat
1928 - Solomon Kane
1928 - Mickey Mouse
1929 - Buck Rogers
1929 - Popeye
1930 - The Shadow
1930 - The Bat Whispers
1931 - Dick Tracy
1932 - Conan
1933 - The Lone Ranger
1933 - Doc Savage
1933 - The Spider
1934 - Flash Gordon
1934 - Mandrake the Magician
1935 - Doctor Occult also Siegel & Shuster
1936 - The Green Hornet
1936 - The Phantom
1936 - Ka-Zar
1937 - Prince Valiant
1937 - The Hobbit, Gandalf
1937 - Sheena
1938 - Superman Action Comics #1

Although many of those seem to have lapsed, maybe they weren't defended? Or it depends how powerful their lawyers were:funny:.
The likes of Mickey Mouse and Superman lapsing will probably force laws changed, if they haven't already.

Last edited:

Not sure how it works, don't they go by day of first publication? If so 1938, he has to get in line behind (just to name a few favorites:oldrazz:) :

The likes of Mickey Mouse and Superman lapsing will probably force laws changed, if they haven't already.
Oh, they have. Mickey Mouse should've been public domain some time ago but the Disney Corporation bribed bought Congress to extend the lapse a few times over. IIRC Mickey would have lapsed sometime in the 1970's or 80's otherwise.

I'm not sure about Superman but isn't Mickey Mouse a trademark? If he's a trademark than nobody except Disney can ever touch him but Goofy and Donald might have to eventually enter public domain.

He might be a trademark but the copyright on his earliest cartoons (and thus, incarnations) would expire and that is one reason Disney is keen to avoid letting him go. They don't want anyone to use him. If they could do so they would also end Fair Use and Satire exemptions, something they have tried and failed to do in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"