Sequels Should the X-men be the next "Avengers?"

spideyboy_1111

Young Avenger
Reaction score
Bare with me. But I think the best way to get mutants into the MCU is have some already exist (Apocalypse, Shadowking, The Maximoff Twins, Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine etc... ) this explains there absence.. most have been in hiding, "in the closet", or written off as National Enquirer tabloids. The population is pretty low so it's easy to stay hidden.

Until Wanda's mind is fractured.. she creates an "M-Day" sort of event.. but rather than stripping mutants of powers... she propels evolution with a giant leap forward. Those who carry a the dormant X-gene suddenly have it "unlocked" generations ahead of nature. this would give us the First Class of x-men.. and reason for Xavier to start a school.

I'd also take it a step forward and do something different with the franchise.. and that's build up.

The O5 would be in the first "x-men" film, but many of our other favorite mutants would first appear in other films...

Id put Destiny, Mystique, and Rogue as villains in a Captain Marvel sequel. Id find a way to have Storm first appear in a Black Panther sequel... Wolverine in a Alpha Flight or Hulk team up film... Sabretooth in something with Iron Fist... hearkening many of the x-men back to their roots and original appearances before they were on any X-men team. I think this would refresh the franchise and give many characters the development they deserve prior to an ensemble film.

Keep the first appearance of Storm, Rogue in a X-Men film. They don't need to start as a supporting character of Black Panther or Captain Marvel. They are X-Men characters foremost and their grand introduction in the MCU should be in a X-Men film. Like there are good points, the appearance of Black Panther and Spider-Man in Civil War helped them in the long run but IMO, ideally they should have been introduced via their solo flick. I'd hate to see the X-Men get a similar treatment.

Last edited:
Bare with me. But I think the best way to get mutants into the MCU is have some already exist (Apocalypse, Shadowking, The Maximoff Twins, Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine etc... ) this explains there absence.. most have been in hiding, "in the closet", or written off as National Enquirer tabloids. The population is pretty low so it's easy to stay hidden.

Until Wanda's mind is fractured.. she creates an "M-Day" sort of event.. but rather than stripping mutants of powers... she propels evolution with a giant leap forward. Those who carry a the dormant X-gene suddenly have it "unlocked" generations ahead of nature. this would give us the First Class of x-men.. and reason for Xavier to start a school.

I'd also take it a step forward and do something different with the franchise.. and that's build up.

The O5 would be in the first "x-men" film, but many of our other favorite mutants would first appear in other films...

Id put Destiny, Mystique, and Rogue as villains in a Captain Marvel sequel. Id find a way to have Storm first appear in a Black Panther sequel... Wolverine in a Alpha Flight or Hulk team up film... Sabretooth in something with Iron Fist... hearkening many of the x-men back to their roots and original appearances before they were on any X-men team. I think this would refresh the franchise and give many characters the development they deserve prior to an ensemble film.

Have you even watched Avengers 3 my friend? MAJOR SPOILER
Scarlet Witch is effin dead, like ashes to ashes dead
But then again I would be beside myself with joy if Rogue were introduced as a villain against Larson's Captain Marvel.

I’m wondering that myself. I’ve often heard it said, the avengers are the jocks and the xmen are the emos or weird theatre kids. I don’t really want them to replace each other (I think trying that sort of thing definitely poisoned the inhumans) but they definitely have to come up with a thing that differentiates the xmen from the avengers

I don't necessarily think that the X-Men will be the new Avengers but I think that the MCU will move away from the Avengers being their Event Movies. So far its been fine as nearly all of their solo movies have used Avengers characters so bringing them all together under the Avengers banner makes sense, but as the MCU brings in more characters that are not Avengers then it becomes an issue. I expect the MCU to still do event films but to do them with groups of character rather than trying to do it with all their characters, the cost of Infinity War was sometimes as high as $450K a day, with most of that cost being the actor's pay. As the MCU that would only get worse.

So I think going ahead they will do Cosmic events, Mutant events, etc, then the Avengers will only be used for their really big events.

What do you mean by next Avengers? One of the things about Avengers is it's a group of characters who have solo movies who all join together for a team movie. This separates it from team movies like Guardians of the Galaxy.

I don't see the Avengers replacing that role.

the xmen are known to be the underdogs
but they get to be part of the avengers sometimes
and other times they even kick their ass!

like guardians, they should have their own ongoing films, but crossover events are a must! :xmen:

Lol I think only one or two people actually read my post... I never once said they should join the avengers or be the avengers... I pretty specifically was comparing the "build up" of the shared universe much like how the rest of the MCU has.

I think some xmen, namely storm/rogue/mystique/etc... would severely benefit from appearing in another mcu film first. Appearing in other films first doesn't mean they arnt xmen... and arnt the "odd outcasts" either.

^ Well, they'd need to introduce the mutant concept first (which would make a lot of fans very happy!) And I'm thinking either they could have one full X-Men team debut in an Avengers film (5-7 characters or so) OR have one or two major characters tease their existence. For example, they could bring in Wolverine as a war experiment like they did Scarlet Witch (Wanda), Storm could debut in a Black Panther film, etc. before eventually bringing on an X-Men movie. That's a good way to weave them into the universe, so that it doesn't feel like X-Men and Avengers are two parallel universes that don't mix. Take Rogue, for example, you'd need her to be a villain to both the X-Men and the Avengers/Captain Marvel before her joining the X-Men.

I sincerely hope Fox relinquishes the X-Men so that Marvel reincorporates them into their cinematic universe. Although Fox has made some great standalone films in the past two decades, they've consistently had shortcomings, namely building a consistent universe without letting their financial interests get in the way and, more importantly, making a movie that will please the fans of the original material and the GA. That's what it's all about in the end, isn't it? Marvel is giving fans a great product in that regard and, after what we've seen in their Phase III, I am 99% X-Men will have a much better treatment in Marvel's hands.

I mean, there's a difference between killing off all your characters on screen with the likely possibility they will come back in the sequel
(*cough*Avengers 3*cough*)
and just mentioning that all the characters died and really not bringing them back ever again after teasing them in a previous film
(*cough*Logan after Days of Future Past*cough*)... especially when we all knew X4 (Days of Future Past) would lead to X5 (Apocalypse)...

So, yes, I cant't wait for the mutants to start popping up in the MCU, but I wouldn't know if solo character films are needed for all of them. Like I said, guest appearances, X-Men team films, Deadpool/X-Force films, New Mutants Films, maybe X-Factor Films and, of course, crossover events with those teams as well as X-Men/Avengers crossovers.

Last edited:
I also hope we don't see any more Jennifer Lawrence in the MCU, ever. She's already brought down both the character of Mystique and the X-Men a bit, both purposefully and inadvertently. I wouldn't mind a fresh, new cast for most of these characters although I am curious about X-Force and New Mutants. Maybe Marvel would like to keep the creative team/cast involved in those projects.

Lol I think only one or two people actually read my post... I never once said they should join the avengers or be the avengers... I pretty specifically was comparing the "build up" of the shared universe much like how the rest of the MCU has.

I think some xmen, namely storm/rogue/mystique/etc... would severely benefit from appearing in another mcu film first. Appearing in other films first doesn't mean they arnt xmen... and arnt the "odd outcasts" either.

I am definitely up for certain characters being introduced beforehand and it would seem natural for some of them.

I sincerely hope Fox relinquishes the X-Men so that Marvel reincorporates them into their cinematic universe. Although Fox has made some great standalone films in the past two decades, they've consistently had shortcomings, namely building a consistent universe without letting their financial interests get in the way and, more importantly, making a movie that will please the fans of the original material and the GA. That's what it's all about in the end, isn't it? Marvel is giving fans a great product in that regard and, after what we've seen in their Phase III, I am 99% X-Men will have a much better treatment in Marvel's hands.

I mean, there's a difference between killing off all your characters on screen with the likely possibility they will come back in the sequel
(*cough*Avengers 3*cough*)
and just mentioning that all the characters died and really not bringing them back ever again after teasing them in a previous film
(*cough*Logan after Days of Future Past*cough*)... especially when we all knew X4 (Days of Future Past) would lead to X5 (Apocalypse)...

So, yes, I cant't wait for the mutants to start popping up in the MCU, but I wouldn't know if solo character films are needed for all of them. Like I said, guest appearances, X-Men team films, Deadpool/X-Force films, New Mutants Films, maybe X-Factor Films and, of course, crossover events with those teams as well as X-Men/Avengers crossovers.
Start it all from scratch just like with the Hulk and the Spider-Man.

Reboot the X-Men (including the Wolverine), the Fantastic Four (including the Silver Surfer), the New Mutants and the X-Force (including Deadpool).

I'm still voting that the X-Men franchise becomes it's own brand at Disney. Build up multiple IP's, have a few cameos or storylines lightly connecting it to the MCU and then 10 years later have a crossover like IW with Avengers, X-Men, F4 etc

The potential with X-Men is insane. It needs the proper time to build to the potential of the characters and storylines.

In my opinion, they should be rebooted in their own universe. By the first two movies let them be separated, but the third/fourth film - there should be teasers for the Secret Wars/universe collision crossover. As for the New Mutants, X-force, X-Factpt, Save those when the X-Men already had like five films and multiple cross overs with the Avengers. I don't need solo like another Wolverine film.

Start it all from scratch just like with the Hulk and the Spider-Man.

Reboot the X-Men (including the Wolverine), the Fantastic Four (including the Silver Surfer), the New Mutants and the X-Force (including Deadpool).

I think I've come to understand making a good franchise is not all about giving fans one award-worthy film or a star studded cast (take Oscar Isaac, for example). I really like the new take Marvel had on Spider-Man and I think it shows you they know how to breathe life into a character and how to pick the actors well. There's a very touching scene at the end of Avengers 3 between Iron Man and Spider-Man which turns out... it was improvised!! I mean, there's a little bit less formula to this and a little more experimenting, a little more freedom to get a feel, to get the right response from the audience. I don't know why, but Fox does more of a copy-paste thing. Just copy-paste these famous stars into these roles, have 'em do some good action scenes, cliché lines, wrap up, send it out, cash the check.

I'd feel a little less neglected as an X-Men fan if there were not just a couple of good films here and there, but a good universe of films. I paid to watch Days of Future Past in theaters three or four times. I paid for Deadpool and Logan in theaters once and also rented them on DVD. But Apocalypse, I did not see in theaters, and I don't plan on watching Dark Phoenix either, the latter two being the latest main installments in the franchise.

And I'm sorry for the actors. I love a lot of them in other films. But obviously if they're involved in projects like this and sucking up to the director, it's because they want more screen time, bigger pay checks, and they don't really care for the source material or the fans one bit. I mean, Lawrence is back for the fourth time and we've all seen what she really thinks about this stuff. If they can write off the original cast in one line about the "Manchester Events" then they could've easily written Lawrence out in a line or two. I believe the contract is usually for three films.

Last edited:
OK Phases 1,2,3 were focus on Avengers (and others characters such as Black Panther, Strange, Guardians ...)
Phase 4 may focus on X-men (and allies such as Spidey, Captain Marvel, F4 also the guardians, Strange and TChalla)

Feige said Avengers wont be main characters anymore, after Avengers 4. it doesnt mean we wont see them anymore

^ Well, they'd need to introduce the mutant concept first (which would make a lot of fans very happy!) And I'm thinking either they could have one full X-Men team debut in an Avengers film (5-7 characters or so) OR have one or two major characters tease their existence. For example, they could bring in Wolverine as a war experiment like they did Scarlet Witch (Wanda), Storm could debut in a Black Panther film, etc. before eventually bringing on an X-Men movie. That's a good way to weave them into the universe, so that it doesn't feel like X-Men and Avengers are two parallel universes that don't mix. Take Rogue, for example, you'd need her to be a villain to both the X-Men and the Avengers/Captain Marvel before her joining the X-Men.

agrees, i think the O5 could be the original x-men team, and the mutant gene is spead up/unlocked via wanda, and most other mutants appear first in other films. (Storm, Logan, Rogue/Mystique, etc)

I’m not a fan of Wanda unlocking the X-Gene, especially if mutants already exist. It’s unnecessary. I do like the idea of some of the X-Men being introduced in other movies, though.

I’m not a fan of Wanda unlocking the X-Gene, especially if mutants already exist. It’s unnecessary. I do like the idea of some of the X-Men being introduced in other movies, though.

except it is kinda necessary.. some mutants would exist.. but the numbers would be extremely low.. and not enough known for Xavier to have a school or the public to really know they exist (thus why they're never referenced in other films.. and why Wanda and Pietro don't really know why they survived Struckers experiments..

there has to be a valid reason as to why we do not know mutants exist in the MCU and i absolutely despise the idea of the Mutants coming from another dimension or alternate reality i find it really lazy

Last edited:
But it isn't. Pretending they were here all along since phase 1 is lazy.

wanda had impressive power displays in A3 and in the comics shes been behind major events such as m-day, which reduced the mutant population to endangered species levels. Marvel could incorporate a major event like this to do just the opposite and bring in a massive mutant population, rather than extinguish it.

They're already playing with other comicbook elements as we speak and doing some very neat stuff with something that is otherwise complete chaos in the comics. And what I mean is that Marvel practically cleared the chess board in A3 by
killing half of the team and leaving us mostly familiar faces such as Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, etc.
to make space for one new character they teased at the very end:
Captain Marvel.
I mean, there's been so many new heroes in Phase III audiences definitely need a bit of a breather, right? But it's also a great way to give time to just one more new character. It's genius.

I have to say, I love the way Marvel puts things together. Dr Strange had a great moment where
he explores all the possible future outcomes of Infinity War and realizes there is only one in over a million chances that they'd win; shortly afterwards he handed Thanos his infinity stone and that's when you go, uh-duh, it's because that's what he saw in that one in a million chance!
That's neat stuff to me as a fan and, since X-Men is so intricate itself and has also had some sci-fi elements in the past, I think Marvel can pull off a creative (not lazy) way to introduce X-Men.

Last edited:
Quite frankly, the way the Marvel Cinematic Universe is set up... the X-Men being in it wouldn't make much sense.
There have been alien invasions and superpowered beings all over the world. Why should the presence of mutants be something special?

^ But taking them to space was weird, so I can see them going the mutant route.
Right now, super powers are rare in the MCU, whereas in a series like X-Men, there are superpowers in a broader global population and, since most of them are not trained soldiers, well, they're considered a major threat. That's a great way to shape the future of the MCU, isn't it? Who's got unregistered guns or weapons of mass destruction around here? ?? Round 'em all up! Yadda, yadda...

Where the MCU currently stands, I could see someone thinking Thanos was way too powerful for the universe and deciding to give his power to several humans at random to counteract the way Thanos tried taking lives at random in A3. That's probably not where they're going with this, but I can see mutation being tied into the MCU somehow.

Last edited:
Quite frankly, the way the Marvel Cinematic Universe is set up... the X-Men being in it wouldn't make much sense.
There have been alien invasions and superpowered beings all over the world. Why should the presence of mutants be something special?

you should probably re-read. there's actually ideas on how that could make perfect sense...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"