• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Simon Kinberg vs David Goyer- who's the bigger hack?

I don't agree with that at all. If someone makes bad films or unoriginal films they are simply a bad or unoriginal filmmaker. Indon't consider that a hack.

I would say its a bit of an asymmetric situation. A hack produces bad movies because they are just cashing the check and thus are indifferent and sloppy. Not every bad movie is hack work, however, and not every director who is just cashing the check is a hack, either. A hack is specifically a passionless director who produces bad work. If their work, despite lacking artistic passion, is still workmanlike and functional, then they aren't a hack. They just are a professional doing a job.

( Conversely, if they aren't passionless, but still produce a bad movie, they aren't a hack either. They are another flavor of bad director, like "inexperienced" or "ill-suited". )

I'm currently watching Apple's Foundation by Goyer and Invasion by Kinberg and they both certainly live up to their reputations. :hehe:

I saw a trailer for 'The 355' at the cinema earlier and could somehow tell it was a Simon Kinberg script. Checked after the film and sure enough there was his name, like a skid mark in some fresh white undies. The amount of cliches in just the trailer dialogue is staggering. That coupled with the January release date is filling me with confidence that the guy is still on form.

I saw a trailer for 'The 355' at the cinema earlier and could somehow tell it was a Simon Kinberg script. Checked after the film and sure enough there was his name, like a skid mark in some fresh white undies. The amount of cliches in just the trailer dialogue is staggering. That coupled with the January release date is filling me with confidence that the guy is still on form.

It's got a good co-writer attached.... but yeah it's a shame that it will likely be a stinker because it's got an absolute stacked cast.

It's got a good co-writer attached.... but yeah it's a shame that it will likely be a stinker because it's got an absolute stacked cast.
Good co-writter? Theresa Rebeck's resume is even worse.

The cast is really solid and I like the genre so I might check this out, but I expect another flop, at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"