Sleep

Destructus86

Superhero
Reaction score
I recently have started looking into the connection between how much sleep we get, health benefits and overall feeling the next day depending on how much sleep you get at night. Been reading various studies and what not and it seems the general belief is that 6 hours is really all that is needed in order to feel healthy and rested. (minus any health conditions)

While other studies lead us to believe that we should only sleep in 90 minutes intervals. I don't believe either side is right for all people as we are all so different.

But what about you? How many or how few hours do you find you need in order to feel well rested the next day? I find if I sleep over 8 hours I am very tired. I am going to try experimenting with 6 hours sleep this week. I know it will take at least a few days for my body to adjust.

Typically, I only sleep for about 5 sometimes 6 hours a night and I am good for the entire day.

Depending on what study you look at you need anywhere from a minimum of four to eight hours of sleep and some people need less or more sleep than others. We're not all set to the same clock and some run faster or slower than others.

There is also such a thing as too much sleep which they call "sleep drunkness" where you start to feel like you were drunk after being awake for a few hours. Too much sleep is just as bad as not enough sleep.

Whether you should sleep more or less I think is up to the individual. I typically sleep anywhere from 7-9 hours though I feel my best after 7 hours of sleep. I also regularly wake up at or before 8 am although I sometimes stay up until 2-3 in the morning.

I used to sleep until as late as 11am if I were left to do so and had nothing to do that day but now even sleeping past 9am makes me feel out of sync. Conversely I can wake up at 5-6 am and feel fine if I've gone to bed early enough.

TLDR; I don't believe there's any set schedule to sleeping but you should always try to get enough without over doing it.

Another reason I rarely sleep until 9 is my cat thinks he's an alarm clock and will wake me up by 8:30 if I'm not already awake like he did this morning.

I remember hearing you only need enough sleep to naturally enter and exit an REM state, which takes somewhere around 4 hours (give or take an hour in either direction). That's why a lot of people sometimes find themselves briefly waking up for no reason halfway through the night before going back to sleep.

I usually manage about 6 hours each night. Even if I'm completely exhausted when I go to bed, I'm still incapable of sleeping more than 7 hours at a time. If I find myself going to bed before midnight on weekends, I can't sleep in past sunrise.

I started my sleep experiment last night. Stopped taking melatonin to push me into sleep and just went to bed when I felt tired enough. I believe I got roughly 6 hours sleep and feel FANTASTIC. But, it could just be a fluke or something. Tomorrow will really be the big decider. I could feel great again or just crash hard.

I'm up at this absurdly early hour of morning because my cat deemed it so. I was so enjoying being asleep too. :(

On average, I get and feel good with 6-7 hours sleep. Even if I'm not working and have no real need to get up I don't tend to or find it hard to sleep in past 10am..

Several years ago in my more regular partying days, 1 or 2 times a week I would roll in at anywhere between 2-4am and get up for work at 6am after only maybe 2 or 3 hours sleep and manage to get through the day. The first few hours awake I was probably still running from being drunk but I never particularly felt overly bad for the lack of sleep... after several hours I would stop feeling tired just feel sort of 'normal'. Although I would start getting tired again by sort of 8pm and always caught up on my sleep the following night with anywhere between 7-10 hours.

Last edited:
I can't seem to stay asleep for more than 4 or 5 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"