Smash Bros Cinematic Universe?(Hypothetical)

ernesth100

The Writing Avenger
Reaction score
With the success of the Avengers and likely success BvS will bring. Wouldn't it be amazing if Nintendo scraped together some money for a few movies to assemble the Smash Brothers in a movie as a team? They could really be prinitng money with this one. Here's what I think they should do.

And before you say they last Live Action movie was horrible. This movie wouldn't have to be live action. It could simply be 3D animated along the lines of something like Big Hero 6. But if they could pull it off in Live Action that'd be a plus in my book.

-Mario Brothers Movie(Introduce Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach)
-Sonic The Hedgehog(Introduce Sonic and maybe any other character whom may play a role in the team up)
-Metriod(Samus)-Legend of Zelda(Link and Ganon)
-Kid Icarus(Introduce Pit)
-Kirby(Introduce Kirby and maybe Meta Knight)
-Earthbound(Ness and Lucas)
-Star Fox(Fox, Falco, Wolf and Captain Falcon)

If this is live action it would take up alot of the budget to have all of these character played and or voiced on the big screen. So the essentials would be Mario, Luigi, Fox, Sonic, Kirby, Link, Captain Falcon, Ness, Samus and Pit. 9 heroes which happens to be the amount in Age of Ultron.

Of course Sony currently has the rights to Sonic I believe so they'd have to either make it without Sonic or not at all. Heck, Nintendo is doing great in the realm of gaming and has no reason to ever even think of filming. Especially not after their last venture in filming(*shudders*). Hence the hypothetical, what if approach.

There's the question of casting? Would you rather they use an original soundtrack or the games soundtrack edited for film moments?

Last edited:
So. First off, I didn't see a single mention of Link or The Legend of Zelda in your post so I am extremely disappointed. :p

I actually think the smarter (somewhat safer) option would be to do these as animated films rather than live-action. But I'd be open to seeing live action films depending on cast/budget/studio etc.

And, as something of a Smash Bros. "purist" I might think to do something more like the original lineup:
- Mario Bros (with Mario and Luigi and Yoshi)
- Metroid (Samus with a Captain Falcon cameo?)
- The Legend of Zelda (Link)
- Pokemon (Pikachu and Jigglypuff)
- Star Fox (Fox with a Kirby cameo?)
- Culminating in a Super Smash Bros. movie where they join forces to fight Master Hand. (Ness)

Now... Even a five movie buildup to a film that would be a longshot from the very beginning seems totally unlikely. So (even as a huge Earthbound fan) introducing Ness in the team-up film would be a reasonable compromise. And Kirby is known for being mute which makes it hard to do a feature length film about him. Sonic doesnt necessarily belong in the first outing imo. He's not even an original Nintendo character and I consider him a guest star (akin to Snake, Pac-Man and Megaman).

All great points. I forgot about Link, thanks for reminding me. It was making me annpyed trying to remember what I forgot. Just edited my post.

1. Smash Purist point, good idea. All sounds good, keeps the round up small and open to new members in any possible sequel.
2. If they do want to get to Smash Bros quicker, introducing Ness in the Smash Bros film would make sense. Although I feel Earthbound would actually be easy to make into a film. But there are more deserving characters of a film. Ness appearing in this would also make sense since he kind of in a way magic. He could be the the key or a key to bringing these characters together/unleashing Master Hand/defeating Master Hand.
3. Kirby in Star Fox is a fantastic idea. If the cosmos truly are infinite I don't see why not. Same for Captain Falcon in Metroid. The question is would they be in film cameo or after credits cameos?
4. Also agreed on the Sonic point. Also more of an insentive for people to throw money at the first film and towards sequels.

All great points. I forgot about Link, thanks for reminding me. It was making me annpyed trying to remember what I forgot. Just edited my post.

1. Smash Purist point, good idea. All sounds good, keeps the round up small and open to new members in any possible sequel.
2. If they do want to get to Smash Bros quicker, introducing Ness in the Smash Bros film would make sense. Although I feel Earthbound would actually be easy to make into a film. But there are more deserving characters of a film. Ness appearing in this would also make sense since he kind of in a way magic. He could be the the key or a key to bringing these characters together/unleashing Master Hand/defeating Master Hand.
3. Kirby in Star Fox is a fantastic idea. If the cosmos truly are infinite I don't see why not. Same for Captain Falcon in Metroid. The question is would they be in film cameo or after credits cameos?
4. Also agreed on the Sonic point. Also more of an insentive for people to throw money at the first film and towards sequels.

Hahah damn. I guess I hit the marks all around. Cool. Lets keep it going.

I need an Earthbound movie in my lifetime. The game is amazing and one of my all time favorites. But in a way it could play a role similar to Ant-Man (and come much later), while Ness is still a part of the underlying universe (even a prequel).

As far as the cameos go. I'd like to see Samus on a planet maybe searching for a bounty or w/e and just bumps into Captain Falcon on the street or she tries hitting on her at the bar. idk. Something light and non-story related. After-credits implies they'll put him in a movie soon so probably not. Though an F-Zero movie could be awesome too.

Kirby could function very similarly, maybe even just something pink riding a shooting star while the crew of the Great Fox is looking at their scanners or something. Or it could be more involved, they maybe ask Kirby's assistance while fighting off Andross minions. idk.

And whether it's just a voice cast or live-action... it's tough decisions all around. Mario/Luigi/Ness would look so strange in live-action. Hell even giving Ness a non-annoying, reasonably pitched voice would seem strange.

You know the reason why this hasn't happened yet? Because of how the piece of **** Mario Bros. movie turned out, Nintendo got very protective of their brands being turned into films. We could have had an awesome live action Zelda franchise by now. Hopefully Shigeru Miyamoto and co. change their minds and entrust these properties with the right people someday. In regards to a Smash Bros. type of shared universe team-up movie, out of all of their game franchises, only Zelda, Metroid and maybe Pokemon would make for good live action films. I can't see how a Donkey Kong or Starfox movie would be done in any other way besides entirely in CG. But I'd be open to a franchise that has both live action and CGI films that incorporates all of those characters.

If the Sonic movie that is in development is a success then I can see Nintendo getting confidence.

I'd love a Super Smash Brothers movie.

It's a shame Nintendo won't team up with an animation studio to start making some films of its properties.

Studio Ghibli, Nintendo!

Do a Mario Vs. Sonic movie first as a lead-in to the Smash Bros. Movie. (Kinda like how Batman Vs. Superman leads into Justice League.)

A well done animated Super Smash Bros film would be a godsend!

Please Nintendo let this happen!

Just because I feel live-action would be a huge risk, doesnt mean I wouldn't be on board with it. I mean, it's just as likely that they screw up an animated film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE4VkfYaP1w

I'll try my hand at a cast for a Mario movie. lol. This should get plenty weird.

Mario - Michael Peña
457280454-actor-michael-pena-attends-the-fury-gettyimages.jpg

Luigi - James Franco (or Dave Franco?)
james-franco.jpg

Peach - Anna Faris
cc-anna-faris-e1453088618730.jpg

Bowser (voiceover) - Terry Crews
entertainment-old-spice-terry-crews-.jpg

(pic just for fun)

Feels obvious that there's got to be humor. But I don't think that means it has to be a total joke. Even still, I leaned toward comedians for all roles. idc what the movie was, with this cast i'd go see it.

Last edited:
This would be awesome. I've thought of it before too.
Nick Offerman needs to be Mario though
how_to_grow_a_mustache_nick_offerman.jpg

And Thomas Brodie Sangster for Link
thomas-brodie-sangster-got-1364317312.jpg

To see Super Mario and Link together would be strange. But I agree that Sangster would be a really good pick for the elvish hero in green.

The kind of cinematic universe I would like to see is a fantasy/fairy tale one (Snow White, Harry Potter, Alice, Narnia, Peter Pan, Percy Jackson)
Done for the big screen that is, sort of Avengers-esque. Nothing like Once Upon A Time, or Into The Woods.

Maybe it's just me but I could see Link being Asian. Or half-asian if there's a chance he could have lighter hair. Anyone come to mind?

Hm, don't really know any half asian or asian actors. Link does look somewhat Korean to me though.
Do a Mario Vs. Sonic movie first as a lead-in to the Smash Bros. Movie. (Kinda like how Batman Vs. Superman leads into Justice League.)
That would be a good idea, getting both of those big properties into one film would surely smash the Box Office. Infact if it played out similar would be a good idea too. Having Mario and Sonic crossover do to some sort of dimensional issue. Maybe a third character filling a spot like Wonder Woman. Eggman or Bowser being like Lex. It sounds like a bad fanfiction but considering it'd lead up to a Smash Movie I wouldn't mind at all personally. I could see if the upcoming Angry Birds, Assasins Creed, Warcraft and/or Minecraft films succeed Nintendo opening up a bit more. They already allowed Bowser into Wreck-It Ralph which was very well recieved. If they see more game films succeed I could see them letting loose.

You know the reason why this hasn't happened yet? Because of how the piece of **** Mario Bros. movie turned out, Nintendo got very protective of their brands being turned into films. We could have had an awesome live action Zelda franchise by now. Hopefully Shigeru Miyamoto and co. change their minds and entrust these properties with the right people someday. In regards to a Smash Bros. type of shared universe team-up movie, out of all of their game franchises, only Zelda, Metroid and maybe Pokemon would make for good live action films. I can't see how a Donkey Kong or Starfox movie would be done in any other way besides entirely in CG. But I'd be open to a franchise that has both live action and CGI films that incorporates all of those characters.
The world wasn't ready for a Mario Bros movie back then. Hollywood wasn't ready. But I think they're ready now. Atleast I hope they're ready.

Also some fantastic choices for casting guys. I agree that for films like this they would need to be comedy to sell good. Zelda, Metriod and Earthbound seem like films that could be made seriously. And Kirby could be a film as well, but I feel it'd be in vain of Minions where he can't really speak, or just makes sounds at certain times.

I'd be interested in a Fire Emblem film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"