So far, Wii dominating (Wii leads Jan. and Feb. sales and MORE)

TheGrayGhost

Sidekick
Reaction score
Wii has already won round one, but how is it fairing after the launches? Take a look:

Wii Top Seller in February
New sales data from NPD shows that Nintendo's new console has long legs.
by Matt Casamassina

showUSloc=(checkLocale('uk')||checkLocale('au'));document.writeln(showUSloc ? 'US, ' : '');March 15, 2007 - The numbers are in, courtesy the NPD Group, and Wii was the best-selling home console in February. The system, which sold a whopping 435,000 units in January to take the number one spot, racked up an additional 335,000 in sales for February, beating out all competitors. In fact, the only hardware to beat Wii out in February was the Nintendo DS, which sold 485,000 units. Combined, the two systems took 54 percent of the overall hardware market for the month, according to Nintendo.
Gamers snapped up titles like Wii Play, which sold 371,000 units, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess with another 110,000 units and Wario Ware added an extra 110,000 in sales to its total, too. Check back for more in the coming days.

The momentum is still going, and with future mass-market games (Wii Health, Big Brain Academy, Wii Music) I think word will keep spreading. Those I've been in touch with are fascinated not only with the motion-sensing, but also with the Wii Channel interface and its functionality; making and sending Miis is surprisingly popular in the social circles at my school, and the other quirky and easy-to-use channels are quickly becoming as popular as the games themselves. As I've said before, I think the Channel interface is a bit of a blend of Brain Age and Nintendogs (both lucratively successful, with Nintendogs alone outselling last-gen's best selling title: Halo 2), combining Brain Age's everyday application with Nintendogs' playful creativity. The Wii Shop Channel is also reportedly very, very successful and will continue to be as more classics are released. And Twilight Princess is continuing its success.

And Nintendo still has Pokemon Battle Revolution, Animal Crossing (rumored to come out this year), Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Super Mario Galaxy to drop, not to mention the less high-profile but still great Battallion Wars Wii (a personal favorite) and Mario Party 8. :wow:

So yeah, there's an update.

The Wii's going to be popular for a while, but the gamecube was popular too until the PS2 killed it. The Wii's a cute little console that will turn people off in the end, the 360 just has such greater variety than the wii. The console with the greatest variety always wins, the old Xbox was mostly adult games and the gamecube was for kiddies. The PS2 had something for everyone, just like the 360 does now.

The Wii's a cute little console that will turn people off in the end, the 360 just has such greater variety than the wii.

Variety, huh? FPS's, sports, and racing games constitute variety to you? Sure, there are a few other genres represented on the 360, but are generally few and far between. And so far, every major game for the Xbox 360 is more multiplayer oriented than single-player, Gears of War being the prime example (fun multiplayer, but short and mediocre single-player). Not much variety there. Additionally, I think you'll be hard-pressed to find much variation in art-direction, either, as most 360 games (even in different genres) employ generally the same philosophy in art direction. Viva Pinata is the only game that comes to mind with genuinely unique graphics, but we all know how that went. The point is, if there is "variety" on the 360, it's not what 360 gamers want.

The console with the greatest variety always wins, the old Xbox was mostly adult games and the gamecube was for kiddies. The PS2 had something for everyone, just like the 360 does now.

Keep saying that to yourself. I'm sure you'll convince yourself eventually.

The Wii's going to be popular for a while, but the gamecube was popular too until the PS2 killed it.

You're diluted. In Japan, Wii has already sold in 4 months what it took GameCube to sell in 2.5 years. And Wii has already reached half (again, in 4 months) of Xbox 360's total unit sales, sales that took 1.5years to achieve. I admit anything can happen, but to not recognize the selling power of Wii is foolish.

GoldenAgeHero said:
those are'nt really mass market games.

On what basis do you make this claim? Wii Music, Wii Health, Big Brain Academy, Nintendogs Wii, etc. are meant to emulate the Touch Generations brand on the Nintendo DS, a brand that is lucratively successful and regarded as a mass-market series of games.

Kritish, stop being a troll, you're better than that.

GAH, just die already. :cmad:

If the Wii had some games that I wanted to play, I'd get one

You're trolling. You keep posting "Gamecube 1.5" in practically every thread about the Wii. Enough already, We get it.

And the Wii does have variety and it will likely sell the most because it will be a lot of people's second console.

and let's not forget the fact that even if you WANTED to buy a wii, you can't.

it's sold out EVERYWHERE STILL.

if only Nintendo could pump these things out faster.....

You're trolling. You keep posting "Gamecube 1.5" in practically every thread about the Wii. Enough already, We get it.

And the Wii does have variety and it will likely sell the most because it will be a lot of people's second console.

I've only said "Gamecube 1.5" twice, once on this forum and once in the gamma lounge. If I were trolling I'd be trying to piss everyone off, I'm not. I stated that the console with the most variety always wins. The PS2 had everything from Sly Cooper to Manhunt and look how it worked out for them. Consoles with either too many mature or too many kiddie games don't win.

I've only said "Gamecube 1.5" twice, once on this forum and once in the gamma lounge. If I were trolling I'd be trying to piss everyone off, I'm not. I stated that the console with the most variety always wins. The PS2 had everything from Sly Cooper to Manhunt and look how it worked out for them. Consoles with either too many mature or too many kiddie games don't win.

When you've brought it up, it had nothing to do with the topic at hand. That's borderline trolling.

I want a wii so bad, but they are sold out everywhere. I don't even want any games for it. I just want it for the virtual console so I can play oldschool nintendo games.

The Wii's going to be popular for a while, but the gamecube was popular too until the PS2 killed it. The Wii's a cute little console that will turn people off in the end, the 360 just has such greater variety than the wii. The console with the greatest variety always wins, the old Xbox was mostly adult games and the gamecube was for kiddies. The PS2 had something for everyone, just like the 360 does now.

The GameCube was never that popular, PS2 had it killed before the GameCube was even released. The 360 is still more of an adult console though, a good 90% of the games released for it are Teen or Mature, I'm very happy with my 360, but I'd never play it if kids were around. A Wii on the other hand, I wouldn't consider the audience before turning it on.

When you've brought it up, it had nothing to do with the topic at hand. That's borderline trolling.

I think you have trolling confused with having a difference of opinion. Kritish makes some good points.

The GameCube was never that popular, PS2 had it killed before the GameCube was even released. The 360 is still more of an adult console though, a good 90% of the games released for it are Teen or Mature, I'm very happy with my 360, but I'd never play it if kids were around. A Wii on the other hand, I wouldn't consider the audience before turning it on.

Your defense for the wii is that you can play it around kids? That's a poor defense if I've heard of one. But I'm afraid that nintendo's goal was just that. The Wii's launch of games are a clear preview of things to come, we had Madden '07 (sixth gen graphics and poor controls) Rayman (******ed) and Excite Truck (dumb) and Red Steel (repetative game play and last gen graphics) so far their one good game is Zelda. I'll be fair and say that the PS3's launch titles weren't hot **** either.
Nintendo seems to make consoles that are popular for awhile but always lose in the end. Everyone had Gamecube fever for a while too.

Nintendo seems to make consoles that are popular for awhile but always lose in the end. Everyone had Gamecube fever for a while too.

actually, i worked in circuit city when the gc was released, it was a hot seller during christmas. but as soon as january rolled around, they were all over the shelves. it's almost end of march, and i still haven't seen a Wii box in a best buy

Your defense for the wii is that you can play it around kids? That's a poor defense if I've heard of one. But I'm afraid that nintendo's goal was just that. The Wii's launch of games are a clear preview of things to come, we had Madden '07 (sixth gen graphics and poor controls) Rayman (******ed) and Excite Truck (dumb) and Red Steel (repetative game play and last gen graphics) so far their one good game is Zelda. I'll be fair and say that the PS3's launch titles weren't hot **** either.

I wasn't really defending the Wii, more saying that Wii is much more family friendly than a 360, which you mentioned had the greatest variety of games and likened to PS2 in that it had games for everyone. However, when most of your games are Teen - Mature and a large number are 1st/3rd person shooters, sports or racing games that doesn't show much variety. 360 has Kameo and Viva Pinata for the kids, one RPG in Oblivion that I can think of, that's not variety.

Again, I don't remember the GameCube ever being very popular, which led to it's downfall, third parties didn't want to develop games for a struggling system. Hopefully Wii's early success will get third parties excited to develop games for the Wii and seeing the wide variety of people buying a Wii, they'll develop a wide variety of games for novices to hardcore gamers.

I wasn't really defending the Wii, more saying that Wii is much more family friendly than a 360, which you mentioned had the greatest variety of games and likened to PS2 in that it had games for everyone. However, when most of your games are Teen - Mature and a large number are 1st/3rd person shooters, sports or racing games that doesn't show much variety. 360 has Kameo and Viva Pinata for the kids, one RPG in Oblivion that I can think of, that's not variety.

Again, I don't remember the GameCube ever being very popular, which led to it's downfall, third parties didn't want to develop games for a struggling system. Hopefully Wii's early success will get third parties excited to develop games for the Wii and seeing the wide variety of people buying a Wii, they'll develop a wide variety of games for novices to hardcore gamers.

You act like Teen is such a hard rating. It's the PG-13 of the ESRB ratings, there's such variety in it.
You forget also that video game consoles aren't men for kids these days, they're targeted towards teens and young adults.

Kritish, lay off, dude. Act civil.

Make an argument, but don't keep repeating the same stuff.

We KNOW you hate the Wii. We KNOW you call it Gamecube 1.5. We KNOW you think it'll fail. We KNOW you will troll about it to no end.

Stop doing that ****, it makes me lose respect for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"