So when's Marvel going to get a live show on TV?

Hypestyle

Superhero
Reaction score
grrrr.... Spike basically torpedoed the Blade show prematurely..

and that's it..

why hasn't marvel started developing some live action shows based on its characters.. whether "smallville" style or something else..

Frontline- reporters covering news in a superhero world..

Code Blue: human cops with high-tech gear taking on super-criminals

"pre-mask" an established hero's adventures when they were younger- Daredevil, Elektra, some of the X-Men, etc.

The forthcoming Punisher film could be spun into an action series..

I've thought of a smallville esque X-Men show before.... not sure how it would fly among fans though.

I've thought of a smallville esque X-Men show before.... not sure how it would fly among fans though.
well, there already was an x-men esque show a few years ago on tv. it was lame tho. it called something like X Gen. or something. it was like a ripoff of X-Men.

anyway, the original Incredible Hulk tv show was Marvel's best. maybe they should bring a new Hulk show back to tv.
actually, i also recall there being a short lived Captain America tv show in the 80s too. i remember when i was young, i'd see the commercials for the show, but for some reason i never did end up catching an episode. :(

Luke Cage would make a good TV show. Nice cheap superpowers.

I think a Heroes For Hire show could be good. Nice roster to select from (or even rotate) too.
well, there already was an x-men esque show a few years ago on tv. it was lame tho. it called something like X Gen. or something. it was like a ripoff of X-Men.
That was the TV movie, Generation X, an adaptation of the Marvel comic where Emma Frost serves as the headmaster for a school of young mutants. It was supposed to be the pilot for a TV show that (thankfully) never was greeenlit. Awful doesn't begin to describe it.

their was anothe x-men rip off called mutant x. one guy can read minds he wasn't in a wheel chair. then they had a girl like wolvring or saber tooth. i heard marvel sued them caused it was copying X-Men. The show didn't last long.

If they were smart they would make a show with Rebecca Romijn as Mystique.
Id watch that every week.

their was anothe x-men rip off called mutant x. one guy can read minds he wasn't in a wheel chair. then they had a girl like wolvring or saber tooth. i heard marvel sued them caused it was copying X-Men. The show didn't last long.

Marvel created that show.

In 2001, 20th Century Fox (the producer of the X-Men series of films) sued Marvel (the originator of the characters in Mutant X and the X-Men), Tribute Entertainment (the distributor of Mutant X) and Fireworks Entertainment (the producer and International distributor of Mutant X) for breach of their licensing agreement and false advertisement. Fox stated it had exclusive rights from Marvel to develop the X-Men property, and anything similar was an infringement. Fox claimed that Mutant X was too similar to X-Men, and that Mutant X was being advertised as an "X-Men replacement". Fox asked that Mutant X production be stopped.
Marvel within weeks countersued Fox, saying that the two were dissimilar and asking the courts to allow Mutant X production to go forward. Production was allowed, as long as X-Men material was not used in the promotion of Mutant X. Apparently the title "Mutant X" itself was deemed too close to "X-Men" to be effectively leveraged.
With this environment, there was virtually no development of Mutant X merchandising.
In 2003, Fox and Marvel resolved their differences in confidential settlements of their suits, while Fox continued to pursue their cases against Tribune and Fireworks (apparently focusing on the false advertisement issues of using X-Men as a "springboard" to launch Mutant X).
Tribune then sued Marvel (for $100,000,000) for fraud and breach of contract stating that Marvel encouraged Tribune to connect Mutant X to the X-Men, misrepresenting what they were getting in their license, and causing millions in losses due to the need to alter storylines and characters to ensure distance between Mutant X and X-Men (which Tribune asserts led to the failure of the Mutant X series) as well as fighting Fox's litigation.
Litigation between Tribune and Marvel (and perhaps still between Fox and Tribune) appears to be continuing its way through the courts as of December 2006.

A Punisher TV series might be interesting, but it could only be done justice on a channel like FX or HBO/Showtime. It's definitely a show that could suffer from repetitiveness though.

Oh...I like the Frontline Idea.
You could have Ben Reilly and Sally Floyd as the leads.

I've thought about the possibility of the original 5 X-Men in a live action TV show. The only thing that wouldn't work would be Angel. Filming decent flying scenes would cost a lot of money, and I think a live action TV series would only be able to show him flying once or twice a year.
There was no man who could read minds. There was a girl who was an empath, but she could only read emotions in the first season, and also influence emotions during the second season. There was a girl who had powers similar to Wolverine and Sabretooth, though. She was played by Victoria "holy crap, this woman appears in a lot of syndicated TV" Pratt.

I thought an X-man based series kind of like heroes could have worked. Obviously, they'd have to tweak things, but I see the B list type of characters like in X-factor being used there

Mutant X was terrible. The cast was made up of models who couldn't act and the guy who played Lex Luthor in Lois and Clark. Characters forgot to use their powers (budget wouldn't stretch to use the special FXs more than once or twice an episode) and so they used Kung Fu moves instead.

They couldn't use anything related to the X Men because fix would sue them so they had cheap knock offs instead and worst of all they would strike a pose at the end of each episode like they where modelling for a fashion show or something. Also the villian of the first seasn looked like Andy Warhol for no apperant reason.

Daredevil would be the best franchise, Law & Order type show.

But for a real nerdgas a live action Spidey show will be amazing, even if it will ever come to be it will probably be mostly about the soap opera aspects ala Smallville, but I'll take it.

i wish the captain america tv movies aluded to earlier on would have gone to series

Lesser known characters can effectively have live action TV shows with no problem or major tweaks. Having a Spider-Man or Thor (etc.) wouldn't work without there being problems, major tweaks, and a close likeness to Smallville (which some believe never should have happened in the first place, and use that as a key example of why big name superheroes should never have shows).

Blade was a great idea for a show, actually. Characters like Moon Knight, Shang-Chi, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist (would prefer a movie, but a TV could definitely work like the show Kung-Fu and it's sequels) could have great TV shows.

:up:

In 2001, 20th Century Fox (the producer of the X-Men series of films) sued Marvel (the originator of the characters in Mutant X and the X-Men), Tribute Entertainment (the distributor of Mutant X) and Fireworks Entertainment (the producer and International distributor of Mutant X) for breach of their licensing agreement and false advertisement. Fox stated it had exclusive rights from Marvel to develop the X-Men property, and anything similar was an infringement. Fox claimed that Mutant X was too similar to X-Men, and that Mutant X was being advertised as an "X-Men replacement". Fox asked that Mutant X production be stopped.
Marvel within weeks countersued Fox, saying that the two were dissimilar and asking the courts to allow Mutant X production to go forward. Production was allowed, as long as X-Men material was not used in the promotion of Mutant X. Apparently the title "Mutant X" itself was deemed too close to "X-Men" to be effectively leveraged.
With this environment, there was virtually no development of Mutant X merchandising.
In 2003, Fox and Marvel resolved their differences in confidential settlements of their suits, while Fox continued to pursue their cases against Tribune and Fireworks (apparently focusing on the false advertisement issues of using X-Men as a "springboard" to launch Mutant X).
Tribune then sued Marvel (for $100,000,000) for fraud and breach of contract stating that Marvel encouraged Tribune to connect Mutant X to the X-Men, misrepresenting what they were getting in their license, and causing millions in losses due to the need to alter storylines and characters to ensure distance between Mutant X and X-Men (which Tribune asserts led to the failure of the Mutant X series) as well as fighting Fox's litigation.
Litigation between Tribune and Marvel (and perhaps still between Fox and Tribune) appears to be continuing its way through the courts as of December 2006.

That is so stupid. Even though Mutant X was a bad show, why did FOX have to step in a try to shut it down? If Marvel was not behind it, then I could see a legitimate reason, and even then, it would be Marvel's, not FOX's, place to sue whoever was behind the show. It's sorta like a dog (FOX) biting the master's (Marvel) hand.

Mutant X wasn't that bad. I enjoyed the second season. Well, parts of it.

I would tune in for a Runaways show. But they're getting a movie now.

I reckon a prime time X-Men show would be good, proberly a bit of a tweaked storyline

or maybe an X-Factor TV show

I also like the idea of a Punisher TV show, spinning off from War Zone, it could be a late night type show with lots of violence.

I would tune in for a Runaways show. But they're getting a movie now.
I think Marvel's pretty much just focusing on movies for everything at this point. You have to admit, they've had far more success there than they have in the realm of live-action TV. Even now, 20-odd years later, their biggest success in the latter is still The Incredible Hulk.

Heroes for Hire, Moon Knight, and Daredevil are your best bets for a show. They shouldn't make all their characters into movies!

I'd like to see a Dr Strange tv series with some cameos .

Wasn't there supposed to be an Alias show (under a different name or something) and a Skrull Kill Krew show? What happened to these? Did Blade kill these shows chances?

I always though Ultimate X-Men would work for a show...or any of the teen teams (not just New Mutants/Generation X/New X-Men/Young X-Men...but any teen Marvel team...I'm looking at Runaways...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"