Songs: The Original Vs. The Cover

Johnny Cash did a whole bunch of great covers, most of the time he'd just make such great, stripped down versions that surpassed the originals' feel and athmosphere

some examples:

The Eagles' Desperado, Soundgarden's Rusty Cage, Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus and of course, NIN's Hurt

I will totally agree on his version of Hurt. I'm a big nine inch nails fan (not so much the new stuff though), but I must say Cash's version is WAY better. I can barely listen to the original anymore without wanting to hear Cash's.

I'll add

New Model Army - the hunt
vs
Sepultura - the hunt

Sepultura SLAYED the original, and I mean in a good way. They made it so much more angry (obviously) which suits the lyrical content so much better.

I'll add links later...youtube seems to be mad at me for some reason.

Somewhere Over The Rainbow. The cover is so much better, there's so much more depth to it.

Original
[YT]10w_sEcHlGs[/YT]

Cover
[YT]2A2Jt4WOxN8[/YT]

Pure Imagination

Original

[YT]RZ-uV72pQKI[/YT]

Cover - Maroon 5

[YT]cWGeCqszY8s[/YT]

"Stand By Me"

Original - Ben E. King
[YT]f9Y6ARjIL-E[/YT]

Cover - John Lennon
[YT]O4_ghOG9JQM[/YT]

A new one...

Umbrella

Original:
[YT]a4X7eFbP3u4[/YT]

Cover:
[YT]BMB6YOWzQMY[/YT]

"Stand By Me"

Original - Ben E. King
[YT]f9Y6ARjIL-E[/YT]

Cover - John Lennon
[YT]O4_ghOG9JQM[/YT]

Ben E King blows him out of the park. Still a great song no matter who sings i though.

It's also sad how Queen has basically become a bad cover band of themselves. Thankfully their name will soon change.

As for covers, I much prefer Meat Loafs "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" as opposed to Dion's. Though her version is technically a cover too.

Meat Loaf
[YT]i_XT7zDuuZg[/YT]

Celine
[YT]8toKah_pEPg[/YT]

Wings - Live and Let Die
Guns 'N Roses - Live and Let Die.

For once the cover is better.

Somewhere Over The Rainbow. The cover is so much better, there's so much more depth to it.

I like the orginal better with this one, it always cheers me up. There's a lot of good covers of that song though.

Ben E King blows him out of the park. Still a great song no matter who sings i though.

Disagreement. Lennon owns the song.

And GNR's version of "LALD" is in no way near Wings. GNR's "Sympathy For The Devil" is even worse, though.

'

Limp Bizkit's version was the best, by far. Not even close, dude.

Are you joking. It's awful. The Who's version is so superior it's not even funny. There's so much more depth and emotion in it. Bizkit was an utter joke to begin with, and that cover just proves it. And they also cut out the bridge, which made the original. Please. Just. Stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"