Sony Announces Dualshock 3

hippie_hunter

The King is Back!
Reaction score
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that it would release DUALSHOCK(R)3 Wireless Controller, a new controller for PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(R)) incorporating a rumble feature, in Japan in November as a separately sold accessory. It inherits the basic design and functionality of the popular PlayStation(R) controller, while keeping the high-precision, high response motion sensitive six-axis sensing system. Introduction to North American and European markets is expected in spring 2008.

The added rumble feature, combined with the highly realistic motion sensitive six-axis sensing system, takes gamers deeper into the world of interactivity, delivering a more intuitive, realistic and immersive game play experience. The new controller will also benefit PS3 content creators, by giving them the ability to further expand their creative imagination. PS3 titles that are already in the market may become compatible with the rumble feature through software update.

With DUALSHOCK 3 and the attractive lineup of PS3 titles incorporating the rumble feature, SCEI will introduce more new ways of enjoyment that can only be found on PS3, and will further redefine the world of entertainment.

Sweet and apparently a lot of titles will be supporting this feature.

I cant wait for the rumble to interfere with motion. Driving in Motor Storm creates rumbles, and that shakes the motion sensors.

I'll probably pick up two of them. I don't miss rumble much, but it was nice to get a little physical reminder when you were getting shot at from behind in shooters. I only have 2 sixaxises right now anyway.

spring 2008? If I can get a good deal thats not too expensive, I might import one.

THis could be either a good thing or a bad thing. Good that now we have BOTH rumble and SixAxis bad because it might mean some games which were originally programmed without the Rumble feature might need to be delayed to incorporate it....Especially if MGS4 gets delayed....Kojima did say he wanted something for the "Feedback" guy to do anyways...

While I never missed rumble, I'd certainly welcome it back. Glad Sony listened to a lot of the gamers on this one

Dual Shock 3 rumble-compatible titles revealed
Posted on September 19th, 2007 at 23:33 EDT
Earlier we reported that Sony officially announced the Dual Shock 3, the tilt-sensing controller that also features vibration support.

Here's a complete list of titles that will support vibration in North America and Europe as of September 20th:

(*1 Users will be able to enjoy the rumble feature through software update.)

The Darkness; 2K Games

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars; Activision

Soldier of Fortune; Activision

BIOHAZARD® 5; CAPCOM

Devil May Cry® 4; CAPCOM

N-Cube; Creat Studios

Warbit; Creat Studios

Dark Sector; D3 PUBLISHER

Turok; Disney Interactive

Highlander; Eidos

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men; Eidos

Burnout Paradise; ELECTRONIC ARTS

FIFA franchise (title name TBD); ELECTRONIC ARTS

Legendary: The Box; Gamecock

To End All Wars; Ghostlight

RAGE; id Software

WarDevil – Unleash the Beast Within; Ignition Entertainment

Dynasty Warriors 6; KOEI

Fatal Inertia; KOEI

METAL GEAR SOLID 4 GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS; Konami

Blacksite: Area 51; Midway

TNA Wrestling; Midway

Unreal Tournament 3; Midway

Wheelman; Midway

Cops (codename, title name TBD); Pyro

Planet One (codename, title name TBD); Pyro

Heroes over Europe; Red Mile Entertainment

Condemned 2; SEGA

Iron Man; SEGA

The Club; SEGA

The Crucible; SEGA

The Incredible Hulk; SEGA

Blast Factor (*1); Sony Computer Entertainment

echochrome; Sony Computer Entertainment

Elefunk; Sony Computer Entertainment

Folklore (*1); Sony Computer Entertainment

FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION (*1); Sony Computer Entertainment

Go! Sports Ski (*1); Sony Computer Entertainment

Heavenly Sword (*1); Sony Computer Entertainment

High Velocity Bowling; Sony Computer Entertainment

MLB 08: The Show; Sony Computer Entertainment

MotorStorm (*1); Sony Computer Entertainment

NBA 08 (*1); Sony Computer Entertainment

PAIN; Sony Computer Entertainment

Rat Race; Sony Computer Entertainment

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction; Sony Computer Entertainment

Resistance: Fall of Man (*1); Sony Computer Entertainment

Snakeball; Sony Computer Entertainment

SOCOM: Confrontation; Sony Computer Entertainment

Super Stardust HD (*1); Sony Computer Entertainment

TOY HOME; Sony Computer Entertainment

Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune; Sony Computer Entertainment

Warhawk (*1); Sony Computer Entertainment

WipEout HD; Sony Computer Entertainment

GirpShift®; Sony Online Entertainment

NBA 2K8; Take Two Sports

Destroy All Humans 3; THQ

Stuntman Ignition; THQ

Assassin’s Creed; UbiSoft

BEOWULF; UbiSoft

HAZE; UbiSoft

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (*1); UbiSoft

Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas (*1); UbiSoft

Prototype; Vivendi Games

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena; Vivendi Games

http://www.psu.com/Dual-Shock-3-rumble-compatible-titles-revealed-News--a0001371-p0.php

so is there any word on whether this new controller will be compatible with PS2 games?

Kaz Hirai has apparently let slip that rumble might not be the only new feature you'll see in the DualShock 3 controller 9which will apparently [read: heavily hinted to use but not officially confirmed]use the next generation touchsense tech).

I think that one's a no-brainer.
not necesarily. Im asking bc I read the controller wont have rumble but this new Touchsense technology. Im not sure if the coding in the older games are compatible with it

Making the controller shake = rumble. If the controller can shake, then it will shake during PS2 games. Sony would look pretty ******ed if they were unable to make that work.

Well they basically confirmed Touchsense in the PS3 controller on the latest 1UP podcast. Starting at 47 minute mark they all talk about how impressed they all are with the new controller when they played it with MGS4. A specific example is how different parts of the controller vibrated relative to explosion proximity and direction etc. Really good I think.

except for:
Sony Computer Entertainment America's Kimberly Otzman, corporate communications, confirmed to GameDaily BIZ, what we suspected all along: "The rumble feature on the DualShock 3 is the same as DualShock 2."

If it's something new to rumble, I'll pick up a DualShock 3, if its the same ol' thing then I won't spend the money

Probably miscommunication fro m within Sony as usual >.<

I'll pick one up just for rumble on Motorstorm. :up:

the explosions in Warhawk are amazing as it is but I can only imagine how much better they will be with rumble

Flying the Warhawk + next gen rumble (sutle engine shudder) (Wind resistance approximation on controller?) (location specific rumble for Impact?) I'm hoping.

Wow that sounds awesome. :wow:

nope just the same old rumble, touchsense is not a go...sorry to kill the dreams of those who hoped for it.. just the dualshock 2.5 which is not a bad thing...... at least sony found the money to pay off immersion so that the whole sony's got no rumblez can finally die.now if we could jut get rid of the rrod, and the wii's for the kids mantra this might be a momentous day in history.

I'm happy to accept rumble back into my life. You don't really miss it oddly, infact it just makes it a bit nicer after you play a Gamecube game or something after a while.

For most games it doesn't matter. The big hoop la was just Sony not having rumble, not that it makes a huge difference. Though for Racing and flight game, it adds a lot. Granted the next gen rumble tech is more then just 'the controller shakes' which makes me more excitted for it then just plain old PS2 rumble.

nope just the same old rumble, touchsense is not a go...sorry to kill the dreams of those who hoped for it.. just the dualshock 2.5 which is not a bad thing...... at least sony found the money to pay off immersion so that the whole sony's got no rumblez can finally die.now if we could jut get rid of the rrod, and the wii's for the kids mantra this might be a momentous day in history.

1UP confirmed it as not the same rumble tech in the PS2 with their hands on time with MGS/MGO at TGS. The controller did things the old rumble tech couldn't, like directional and area specific vibration as well as having a far greater depth of the sensation (range of rumble, thanks to the new motors within the controller). The Sony rep was wrong. Miscommunication from within Sony is nothing new. >.<

http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3145462

Episode 103

i played motorstorm it wasnt bad without the rumble but i just felt weird when cars would bump into me and i didnt even get a nudge. And zenien i know that the controller is not just the dualshock 2 with a few upgrades. i'm just saying its not the showstopper sony promised..just like the wii is not exactly made from parts from the gamecube even though they share some of the same features.

I only remember them saying "The controller will have rumble again". :huh:

20070924.jpg

Though funny, Dualshock 3 will come packed in with PS3's once they hit the market, it's entirely replacing the SixAxis. Kaz looks so funny though. I love Gabe's artwork, it's always daring and pushing the boundaries of his style in some way, while staying within it, and constantly improving and adapting and awesome. :O

20070924.jpg

Though funny, Dualshock 3 will come packed in with PS3's once they hit the market, it's entirely replacing the SixAxis. Kaz looks so funny though. I love Gabe's artwork, it's always daring and pushing the boundaries of his style in some way, while staying within it, and constantly improving and adapting and awesome. :O

LOL, POOR KAZ GETS NO LOVE!!!:(:oldrazz::D:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"