Venom Sony Revives 'Venom' Solo Movie - Part 4

I personally rank them:

1. Tom Holland
2. Andrew Garfield
3. Tobey Maguire

I really can't even with Maguire's so cartoonishly exaggerated nerdiness and his sadsack moping anymore. That's not Peter Parker.

I agree with this. I don't think it's awful. I just don't think it's the most enjoyable. Garfield played a modern nerd (sorta socially acceptable, sheepishly adorable, and highly intelligent) and Holland plays a normal kid at an advanced school who is just really smart (which I'd say is right on the money). Maguire played an socially stunted adult in an adults body in a high school setting. He seems dorky at best and confused most of the time.

For me, I really related to Tobey. The way he played Peter in that shy, naive, baby faced "aw shucks" kinda way connected with me when I was a teenager. There was just a wholesomeness to him that iyou couldnt help but like him and feel sorry for him when things werent going his way. But that was because I saw myself in that interpretation of him.

I remember watching Amazing Spiderman 1 and I remember the precise moment Andrew's Peter rubbed me the wrong way and I was like "this is not my Peter Parker." It was that scene where he was with Gwen in her room, and he was all beat up and she was looking at his bruised body in shock all the while Garfield is just trying to make out with her and get in her pants. The way Garfield played it, his mannerisms, like a horny bastard, it completely turned me off of how he played Peter. But to each his own. Im sure lots found Garfield's Peter infinitely more relatable than Tobey's dorky version.

there was enough for me scattered throughout, and he wouldn't get all jokey when things are personal/serious which to me feels right.

There just wasn't enough to make the character for me. in comparison to alot of other spider-man related material he was kinda watered down to the point where its easy to forget it ever showed any Spidey type humour.

Last edited:
1 is an exagerration, as Spider-Man I can think of: "CHEESE!" "Hey kiddo, let mom and dad talk for a minute will ya?" "It's you who's out, Gobby, out of your mind!" "I have a knack for that" "Here's your change!" the gulp when Ock is about to poke him with the tentacle spike "Jig's up, pal! Guess you haven't heard, I'm the sherrif around these parts" "Where do all these guys come from?" there was enough for me scattered throughout, and he wouldn't get all jokey when things are personal/serious which to me feels right.
Each to his own. None of those worked for me at all. I think it says aot about Tobeys sorrowful delivery.Those lines didn't get a smirk out of me.

I like posts based on liking parts of the text I see in them, that's why I liked a good number of posts on both sides of the equation.
Honestly though, both roles are getting an unfair share of flack here.

I like Holland in the role, and I like how his role is mostly depicted by the Russo brothers, but I find the way he is portrayed to still be lacking in some areas. The writing given to him is not that soft sweet spot between both previous takes, it's something different that is quite close to the Raimi version in some areas, while is a new take in different respects.

If Sony want to continue with the illusion of this being an MCU tie-in, they can't hire any actor that is not Tom Holland in the shoes of Peter Parker, but they should probably make him older for this side of the story, and declare that this is a future that may or may not take place in MCU.

I honestly love all 3

Tobey will always be my first :-)oldrazz:) so I'll always have an affinity for him as PP/Spidey

I know people didn't like a lot of how they portrayed him (even though I think they were just trying to give him more depth), but I absolutely adored Andrew Garfield as both Peter AND Spidey. He was everything I ever wanted the character to be.

And Holland crushes it too. I wasn't excited, and still am not, about having a young Spider-man again -- I desperately want to see an adult, mature Spider-man on screen. But Holland is still absolutely fantastic as well

While everyone of course has their preferences of course, I think all 3 castings have been pretty great, and each offered us some pretty great stuff

1 is an exagerration, as Spider-Man I can think of: "CHEESE!" "Hey kiddo, let mom and dad talk for a minute will ya?" "It's you who's out, Gobby, out of your mind!" "I have a knack for that" "Here's your change!" the gulp when Ock is about to poke him with the tentacle spike "Jig's up, pal! Guess you haven't heard, I'm the sherrif around these parts" "Where do all these guys come from?" there was enough for me scattered throughout, and he wouldn't get all jokey when things are personal/serious which to me feels right.
I loved his delivery of "Here's your change!" Even at the time I wish we got a lot more of that while he was Spidey.

It seems as though almost everyone who hated this film is obsessed with tie-ins and franchise-building and seems annoyed that Sony didn't tie Venom in with everything else that Marvel has done. Marvel have got the fans thinking every film has to be linked otherwise it's not valid. Which, at least in my case, is part of why this film is enjoyable; it isn't trying to link up to a hundred different storylines and therefore doesn't come off as filler - as many of the MCU films do.

How much does the Movie actually focus on the symbiosis between host and symbiote? Because from everything I've heard and seen, is that Venom is pretty much the dominant character. Also it's the symbiote that's Venom from the start. So it's not Eddie and the symbiote coming together and forming the entity Venom. Even the twisted humor seems to belong solely to the symbiote. Or is there a darker twisted side to Eddie in the Movie, that I don't know of? Because so far it seems like the Venom symbiote, no matter the host, will always be the man eating, dark humored, turd in the wind line spouting Venom.

How much does the Movie actually focus on the symbiosis between host and symbiote? Because from everything I've heard and seen, is that Venom is pretty much the dominant character. Also it's the symbiote that's Venom from the start. So it's not Eddie and the symbiote coming together and forming the entity Venom. Even the twisted humor seems to belong solely to the symbiote. Or is there a darker twisted side to Eddie in the Movie, that I don't know of? Because so far it seems like the Venom symbiote, no matter the host, will always be the man eating, dark humored, turd in the wind line spouting Venom.

The symbiosis isn't a huge focus but there is some dialogue that suggests the symbiote has been altered by its joining with Brock. Brock is shown to be a quirky, humorous, and occasionally self-centred guy prior to getting the symbiote so the humour and character of Venom isn't solely down to the symbiote. That said, the symbiote is referred to as Venom individually, which I think was a misstep - I've always thought: Brock + symbiote = Venom.

It seems as though almost everyone who hated this film is obsessed with tie-ins and franchise-building and seems annoyed that Sony didn't tie Venom in with everything else that Marvel has done. Marvel have got the fans thinking every film has to be linked otherwise it's not valid. Which, at least in my case, is part of why this film is enjoyable; it isn't trying to link up to a hundred different storylines and therefore doesn't come off as filler - as many of the MCU films do.

I think you're overlooking the fact they butchered Venom's origin and character by omitting Spider-man. It's not because Venom isn't part of the mcu.

Yea I’m tired of that stigma. You can not like the mcu and not like this movie to. The biggest complaint wasn’t that it was t in the mcu. The complaint was that it didn’t have spiderman

Eddie's relationship with the symbiote is the primary focus of the movie. At first, it uses him for "a ride." Then, co-exist while each hopes to achieve individual goals. Finally, the symbiote admits to being an outcast and developing an affection for Eddie. This is why I prefer that Sony has done to what Marvel Studios likely would have done. In the MCU, Venom would mostly likely have been a one-and-done villain in the Spidey films, if they got to him at all. In the comics, Eddie has an up-and-down relationship with the symbiote, and the SUMC will have an opportunity to explore that over multiple films.

Eddie's relationship with the symbiote is the primary focus of the movie. At first, it uses him for "a ride." Then, co-exist while each hopes to achieve individual goals. Finally, the symbiote admits to being an outcast and developing an affection for Eddie. This is why I prefer that Sony has done to what Marvel Studios likely would have done. In the MCU, Venom would mostly likely have been a one-and-done villain in the Spidey films, if they got to him at all. In the comics, Eddie has an up-and-down relationship with the symbiote, and the SUMC will have an opportunity to explore that over multiple films.
Sure they will...... lol

The Ringer is like 'No! Venom is Bad Bad not Good Bad!"

hilarious seeing people so pressed about others enjoying this film and having fun. It's not like Snyder fans claiming BvS is a masterpiece - no one is hailing this as such but hey, it's fun and apparently that is unacceptable to some :funny:

As though there aren't posts from people who are more concerned about others disliking the film than their own enjoyment of the film.

lol how would I know? I only pop in here if I have something to say. I saw the article, it was stupid, it's a Venom thread, hence my post.

Whatever whining and complaining goes around here hardly interests me.

I wonder if Tom Rothman had anything to do with this film being PG-13 instead of R? I know he caused some issues over at Fox with some of the X-Men/Wolverine movies and micromanaged them to hell.

In any case, we know that Venom 2 with Carnage will be PG-13, so... good riddance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"